What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Doing what a backstreet garage would do but on my drive!

Only other thing I can try is to put the bearing I took off on the NSF to rule that out for sure.

I was going to pop into alpine transmission in Blantyre but maybe a garage would be a better option.

I do have the M32 box which was rebuilt 40k miles ago. It did have whine and play in the stick but not after the rebuild. I'd say there is still a slight whine off the box but this noise is a lot harsher and louder in or out of gear.

It doesn't really change under power which you'd expect of the gearbox?

Second thing I did after getting the heat shield reattached was swap the tyres round which made no difference.

I am sure I remember a post where you bought Goodyear F1s ?

These can make droning noises that sound like the wheel bearings have gone, I had this on mine after the wheel alignment was out and it sounded like the gearbox was about to explode after a couple of thousand miles of the noise gradually getting worse. Swapping the tyres round made no difference as they had already worn like a 50 pence coin, the noise only went when I got new tyres.

Soldato
I am sure I remember a post where you bought Goodyear F1s ?

These can make droning noises that sound like the wheel bearings have gone, I had this on mine after the wheel alignment was out and it sounded like the gearbox was about to explode after a couple of thousand miles of the noise gradually getting worse. Swapping the tyres round made no difference as they had already worn like a 50 pence coin, the noise only went when I got new tyres.

I had F1 AS2 on the front and rear, had the noise, swapped my tyres front to back as the front were getting low. Noise was still there on the newer AS2.

Got a pair of AS3 on the rear now which I could swap to see if it makes a difference?

It sounds more like a mechanical noise to me...

https://clyp.it/rimauhhk

Soldato
I had F1 AS2 on the front and rear, had the noise, swapped my tyres front to back as the front were getting low. Noise was still there on the newer AS2.

Got a pair of AS3 on the rear now which I could swap to see if it makes a difference?

It sounds more like a mechanical noise to me...

https://clyp.it/rimauhhk

That's what mine sounded like you would never have thought it was the tyres when in the car, I would try swapping the tyres ideally with another car but at least back to front to see if the noises changes mines got slightly louder when I swapped back to front.

Soldato
Picked up the car.

bumper now matches.
A couple of imperfections... but I will polish those out.

they didn't do the springs... said it would be 2x the labour cost s I said no.

Soldato
Finally got the car back today with all new hub carrier assemblies and front springs. Glad I have a warranty as the carriers cost Renault £171+vat each!!

Fitted most of the parts I had sitting around today, induction kit sound amazing and the engine mount was well worth the effort. I've also got a set of H&R springs sat in the spare room but that's a job for another day, also have a set of R-Clip design pins for the Brembo's so they don't seize in.

Also fitted 4x Nankang NS2-R tyres and black badges, then gave it a very quick wash.

SSFTOHF.jpg

f6fnTkc.jpg

vOERm5a.jpg

Soldato
New tyres. Went from 185/80/R14 to 185/60/R14.

Much better look imo - I was worried it would look like a rollerskate until lowered but it's not too bad. Still wants to go down an inch or two though.

tLYsC4yl.jpg.png

And then with the goop off the tyres, weights painted black, wheels touched up where the old weights came off:

qA1te1ql.jpg.png

Soldato
Replaced the standard black Subaru badge in the front grille with a pink badge... 'coz JDM innit

And then changed the headlight and sidelight bulbs for some Philips WhiteVision followed by a quick wheel and brake caliper wash. When I 'detail' the car properly I'll lacquer and seal the wheels but after 1300 miles in a week they really needed doing. Love how silver hides the dirt so well.

Soldato
Ok I'm fuming.
gone over car,found over spray all over it. Some quite serious.

it's going to need a full detail to fix this and the new lacquers so thin on newly painted bumper I think it will just burn right through!

Taking it back tomorrow morning to complain

Associate
Had my stripe added by a local firm. I have also replaced the front DRL's and sidelights with LED's to get rid of the nasty cheap yellow bulbs. Uniform cool white on the front now.

With USA spec decklid from last night.

Associate
Pretty much done for now. Going to run it in. Probably have the quarter windows and rear window tinted. Also have some smoked vinyl filters for the front lights and all the reflectors to try and dull down the red/clear look. Not decided on fitting them yet.

Internal mods and exhaust are going to wait for a bit though.

Associate
I'll struggle with exhaust as neighbours across the road are due their 3rd baby in 4 weeks. I can't bring myself to wake it up everyday with V8 o'clock... I like getting on with them.

Back
Top Bottom