• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon RX 480 "Polaris" Launched at $199

Soldato
"With Tom's Hardware reporting that the RX 480 draws (substantailly) more than the 75W allowed from the motherboard (for example, the PCI Express high-power card spec allows a mazimum of 66W to be drawn from the 12V pins of the PCI Express slot, and the RX 480 averages79W from the 12V lines alone) AMD seems to be violating the PCI Express(R) spec.

According to the licensing contract for the spec, if they do not fix this within 3 months, AMD will NOT be able to call the card a PCI Express card. If they do, they face not only litigation, but if my understanding is correct an action before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC) to ban the importation of the card as counterfeit goods. You might think the PCI-SIG will give AMD a pass, but if they do, they risk loosing the trademark entirely. An unforced trademark gets invalidated. The SIG won't let that happen.

So what does this mean to the consumer? I think there are two possibilities, if we assume AMD will not choose to remove the PCI Express logos from these cards: Either they will alter the boards to have an 8-pin socket and to more power from there, or they will neuter the card to ensure it doesn't draw more power than the PCI Express specification allows. I don't see any other options.

Disclaimer: I am an attorney, but I practice patent law, not trademark law. This post does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship".

It could damage low end motherboards, and since this will go in many oem systems, it could become a problem

Associate
Was literally going to buy the 4gb RX 480 and the price changed from 176 to 185. 8gb a rip for what it is. Can't buy it knowing it was literally cheaper 10 minutes ago.

I'm guessing that OCUK has bought stock at various prices.. ran out of the £175 ones. Only they know.

Associate
1080 is twice as fast. 1070 is about 70% faster, though.

To be honest.. on an enthusiast board such as this you would expect most people to plop down for the 1080. It does have the best performance at the moment.

The RX480 is a great card for the budget conscious, that's why i went for it.

Soldato
Sorry but exactly which words insinuated that, point them out, please, I'll wait and respond to the words you find.

I'm stating that Anandtech's review is completely inaccurate.... rushed and wrong, incompetent, dodgy board damaged in shipping or developing a fault after running, anything.

Sorry but look at the numbers Furmark 228W 53dba fan noise and 80C temp, gaming 296W 50dba fan noise, 80C. 70W less but fan noise is higher? Explain how that makes sense to you, have you ever run something that uses vastly less power and creates more noise and heat?

This isn't delusional fanboy anything and you suggesting such is both rude and frankly stupid. The numbers are right there, they make no sense. On the same note other sites are saying 2200rpm is the fan limit, multiple sites agree the card stopped at 2200rpm and the card is quiet at that fan speed. Anandtech gives completely opposite power and noise information to every other review I've seen.
You had problems with more than just that example. And dont act like you haven't done the whole 'Nvidia conspiracy' nonsense before when it comes to what sites report. This sounded par for the course.

Just in general, you're in full damage control mode, trying to downplay everything, and in this case, cast doubt on reviews if needed.

As far as the one Anandtech case, dont know. Could be faulty thermal paste application, faulty power flow, terrible in-case airflow, etc. One strange occurrence with heat/noise does not make for 'strange inconsistencies' overall, though. Most sites seem to be reporting near enough similar results, within margins of reasonable differences even taking into account silicon lottery issues.

Soldato
Noooo!! I just hit refresh and the price has gone up :mad:

Was just about to order the 4gb :( will be looking elsewhere now.
Supports my theory that initial 4GB margins were being made super slim to make it more attractive, though I think they're responding to the unreasonable gap in price to the 8GB.

To be honest.. on an enthusiast board such as this you would expect most people to plop down for the 1080. It does have the best performance at the moment.

The RX480 is a great card for the budget conscious, that's why i went for it.
Absolutely, dont think twice about it if it fits your needs.

Caporegime
Well I ordered mine so I'll be able to compare to my current XFX 390x very soon. I'm not that disappointed with this at all, everything is in line with the leaks and at frame-per-euro it's probably the best value card (brand new) on the market.

Anyone know if these are CF compatible with AMDs older cards?

It has less performance per dollar than the 1070 and 1080.

Associate
Gibbo why have the prices gone up? Thought you don't change prices on the whim as evidenced by your "we won't change the price if the £ raises or falls by a small margin" stuff?

Back
Top Bottom