How will Brexit affect you and your family personally?

Soldato
imo this is a single minded approach to life. we are born in this planet and tbh the whole planet is classed as our home. life is too short to be stuck in one place just for the sake of it and you cant complain to people who have a broader sense of the world itself where there are lots to see and experience outside of the town u was born and studied as a child in.

live life

Could not agree more. I moved away from the UK to better my life and that of my family. Does it make me any less British? No. Moving away has actually ( if anything) cemented a level of patriotism for the UK. It will always be 'home' for me, but don't begrudge anyone who wants to better their circumstances by having the balls to move.

Orchish Horde's view of moving to earn more money as a means to an end seems negative. What on earth is wrong with that? Like it or not certain freedoms come with having more money and this has certainly been the case for me. Am I exploiting? No I like to feel that I earn money in my business because the market in Asia requires it...the nature of capitalism right? On the back of this I must be providing a service that is worthwhile. Zero benefit system over here so I take nothing, in fact I give. I generate jobs with who I employee and I pay my taxes.

The 'exploiters' are the people that stay in the UK to leech off the generous benefit system. Usually British people in my own admitedly narrow perspective.

How will Brexit impact me?

Personally the slump in the pound is a plus for me at the moment, I shift a lot of money to the UK.

The downside though will be the property I have in the UK, the risk of mortgage rates increasing being the most significant. I am not to concerned about house prices lowering, because I do not plan to sell and I don't ever re-mortgage to free up equity.

Soldato
Brexit, not sure at the moment as the Mrs works for the NHS. Though I've been telling her to go private for a while (better money, hours and treatment). For my self, the oil price has had a far bigger impact then anything else, not that sturgeon or Cameron could give a toss about the tens of thousands of jobs lost up here.

Soldato
I'm looking to move abroad, possibly to Australia where I've spent a year previously on a working holiday visa and have friends.

Have been thinking about it previously, but this is the thing to finally kick my arse in gear and do something about it.

Associate
Me personally, nothing yet. But I've got builder mates who have lost big jobs because of an 'unforseen future '. My girlfriends a florist, now she grows most of her flowers, so she's ok, but her friends who don't are now being charged 10% or more for them to buy from the wholesalers.

Permabanned
No your wrong and it's not wishful thinking ;)
I lived through the Thatcher years and know what this country can throw in your face.

Have none of you moaners heard of a work visa?

That seems a touch naive... haven't you noticed the cost increases already? Even a tank of fuel has been affected by this... so no, you're not completely unaffected.

Soldato
Soldato
We'll see.

I work for an engineering consultancy that is involved in mayor infrastructure projects. Most of these have an element of EU funding or international working partners. Plus we do work throughough the EU and internationally.

My wife does similar work for a smaller consultancy mainly involved in housebuilding and commercial property develoment. Not so reliant on international stuff but would be affected by the economy generally, especially the construction industry.

My sister works for a university as a researcher in exercise science and wellness. Most of her funding comes from EU research bodies.

There's a fair chance all of us could be out of a job over the next couple of years.

Interesting conversation around the dinner table on Sunday. After a fair amount of ranting from my sister and the missus, my gran insinuated that she'd voted leave. I felt a bit sorry for her.

Associate
No idea yet, both my parents and my youngest sister all live in mainland Europe and they have no idea what is going to happen. They moved out there for my dads job, he works for a large international company and since moving out my mum has gotten really ill. They will not be moving back unless they have to as the best hospital and doctors for her illness are 30 miles from where they live.

I have an EU ID card which I am looking at holding on to for good now even though I am going to have to start paying the equivalent of NI there, worth keeping the doors open.

Permabanned
I haven't owned a car since 2006 when I came back to the UK. I wouldn't pay the price of petrol.

No cars in your family at all? Interesting, I think that's quite rare in the UK nowadays.

I suppose you and your family never travel by train or bus either? You don't buy anything? Don't own or rent a house and live under a bridge?

If you and your own are not affected by brexit, why did you vote?

:)

Soldato
If you and your own are not affected by brexit, why did you vote?

I have my resons the same as you.

Missed them due to having a fun life. But now answered.

No cars in your family at all? Interesting, I think that's quite rare in the UK nowadays.

I suppose you and your family never travel by train or bus either? You don't buy anything? Don't own or rent a house and live under a bridge?

:)

I've always lived by my work place. So I can walk to work. I'm retired now 8 years early :)
My daughter of 23 has her own house one child and one on the way.
She's done 5 years in UNI passed top of her year.

She lives 10 mins from her work place and the school my grand daughter goes to.

Trolls apparently do live under bridges

And fools never learn ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom