• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** OcUK HAS 21 CUSTOM GTX 1080 MODELS READY FOR PRE-ORDER !! **

Associate
I'm quite likely to jump ship too if I don't get one on the next shipment. If I get a DOA, how many months will I wait for a replacement? I have lost complete faith in asus because there are clearly issues with these cards and we may get very bad rushed products. I will be scrutinising mine if it ever turns up and it's going back if there are any issues. Didn't wait this long for a crap £620+ product.

Let's be real here, the Strix really isn't anything special. We pre-ordered it before we knew that they all basically clock the same. The fans are likely to be louder than competitors as well and it's only a 2 year warranty (like most of them).

There are few reasons to hang on to this pre-order other than that we got it cheaper than the disgusting price that it's at now.

As much as I am tempted to jump ship (I see the Gaming X in stock from a few places) the price is stomach churning and the only card to get now for the same price is founders edition which I am not keen on because I'm not a fan of the cooling design. Also knowing I can get an OC Strix for the same price as a founders now is what is keeping me in the pipeline.

OcUK Staff
OP
Does Gigabyte get more money for each standard 1080 Xtreme from competitors ?
It seems it''s in stock there but much more expensive.
Unless it''s also PP but they just forgot to add info.

Gibbo, do you have good or any relationship with guys at Gigabyte to find out please ?

The competitor is PP stock, Gigabyte confirmed, so an error in listing on their part.

Our stock was due Friday, but seems to be lost, we were expecting close to 50 units which would have covered all backorders. Our warehouse and Gigabyte are investigating as they may need to make an insurance claim as nearly 200 cards have gone missing. :(

OcUK Staff
OP
Asus update:

1070 Strix OC: 100+ this week!
1070 Strix: 100+ this week!

1080 Strix OC: 50 this week :(
1080 Strix: 100+ this week.

Better than previous weeks, but still not great, expected later this week, they are working on an update as I mentioned their statement of 1000 units of 1080 this week and that this seems to fall far short, looks like someone got a bit ahead of themselves.

Soldato
As much as I am tempted to jump ship (I see the Gaming X in stock from a few places) the price is stomach churning and the only card to get now for the same price is founders edition which I am not keen on because I'm not a fan of the cooling design. Also knowing I can get an OC Strix for the same price as a founders now is what is keeping me in the pipeline.

The way I see it, prices are going to fall once EVGA and alike pump their cards out in full and that seems to be happening soon. The EVGA and MSI cards win hands down now that we know overclocking is a non-factor and will be cheaper than the strix.

If it's a choice between supporting continual delays for a product I have no faith in or waiting slightly longer for EVGA or MSI, I'll probably switch.

Think about it, if there are issues with these ASUS cards, what's to say it won't die within the next 3 years? We have no idea what the problem is, all we know is there is one. How much do you trust their products and customer service?

Associate
The competitor is PP stock, Gigabyte confirmed, so an error in listing on their part.

Our stock was due Friday, but seems to be lost, we were expecting close to 50 units which would have covered all backorders. Our warehouse and Gigabyte are investigating as they may need to make an insurance claim as nearly 200 cards have gone missing. :(

200 units gone missing. WOW
Guys, admit who had enough of waiting and figured out a way to lay hands on 200 cards.

Unless those are the units that competition is now selling :D

Thanks for the update Gibbo

OcUK Staff
OP
The way I see it, prices are going to fall once EVGA and alike pump their cards out in full and that seems to be happening soon. The EVGA and MSI cards win hands down now that we know overclocking is a non-factor and will be cheaper than the strix.

If it's a choice between supporting continual delays for a product I have no faith in or waiting slightly longer for EVGA or MSI, I'll probably switch.

Think about it, if there are issues with these ASUS cards, what's to say it won't die within the next 3 years? We have no idea what the problem is, all we know is there is one. How much do you trust their products and customer service?

Why do the EVGA cards win out of interest?

I sell them all but if it was my money for me it would be Zotac Extreme cards or the yet to be released EVGA Classified. :)

Prices will only fall by large chunks (£50 and more) if exchange rates improve. Otherwise price movements will be small as the increases are due to exchange rates.

We need exchange rates back to 1.45 or a reduction in USD cost to bring prices down. Either could happen but right now is too early to predict, I would certainly like them to come down because with lower prices we will sell more fact, but until our cost lowers by either a reduction in USD cost or GBP strengthening against dollar we have no interest in reducing cost to sell more to simply make no profit.

OcUK Staff
OP
200 units gone missing. WOW
Guys, admit who had enough of waiting and figured out a way to lay hands on 200 cards.

Unless those are the units that competition is now selling :D

Thanks for the update Gibbo

Who knows, couriers make errors and could have shipped them elsewhere, but hopefully our stock is just miss-laid in the depot and will be with us in a couple of days.

Soldato
Like I said earlier other competitor has EVGA 1080 SC in stock. FTW would be available tomorrow there as well. Hope OCUK can have there's as well. Need my FTW now. A month and 7 days waiting is a complete joke now. Please can I have my GPU I paid for may 27.

Associate
Gibbo, are the standard xtremes in the ones that have gone missing? I'm waiting on one and you seem to update regarding the PP and waterforce but say nothing on the standard.

As for EVGA "winning hands down" not sure why that would be the case. With OC'ing these cards are seemingly good regardless of which one you choose, IMO choice of card will come down to those you like the look of, colour schemes for your build, previous experience of a particular brand and of course price and availablity etc. I don't like EVGA's look but others won't like the card I chose. Swings and roundabouts.

Soldato
Why do the EVGA cards win out of interest?

I sell them all but if it was my money for me it would be Zotac Extreme cards or the yet to be released EVGA Classified. :)

Prices will only fall by large chunks (£50 and more) if exchange rates improve. Otherwise price movements will be small as the increases are due to exchange rates.

We need exchange rates back to 1.45 or a reduction in USD cost to bring prices down. Either could happen but right now is too early to predict, I would certainly like them to come down because with lower prices we will sell more fact, but until our cost lowers by either a reduction in USD cost or GBP strengthening against dollar we have no interest in reducing cost to sell more to simply make no profit.

The Zotac's are great cards too. I would certainly be happy with one of them, particularly with the 5 year warranty. EVGA just have a lot of brand loyalty for me. Ultimately I'd probably just go with which ever of the EVGA, Zotac or MSI cards that I could get first. If I do wait out for the ASUS card, it will be the last ASUS product I buy probably. Simply put, there is a lot of competition to all of their products and the competition hasn't stung me yet.

I can totally appreciate the exchange rate problems at the moment. It's a concern for us all.

Shopping around right now I can see cards from the likes of EVGA etc for not much more than I paid for the ASUS strix OC and I would have a lot more faith in their brands and their ability to deliver it before this Strix shows up.

Jumping ship is very much on the table for me. I'm position 107 I believe so I'm not getting one in this batch either and so I may be 2-3 weeks out still. I do thank you for the update though and I know it's not your fault that ASUS aren't getting their act together.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
OP
Like I said earlier other competitor has EVGA 1080 SC in stock. FTW would be available tomorrow there as well. Hope OCUK can have there's as well. Need my FTW now. A month and 7 days waiting is a complete joke now. Please can I have my GPU I paid for may 27.

FAO: EVGA BEN

Ben promised that OcUK customers would be looked after, he knows how many we have pre-sold, so I am sure he must have sent some stock our way to get cards into customers hands rather than sat on the shelf at a competitor who clearly does not have the pre-orders.

Hopefully Ben has sent us stock and it will be here in a day or two? Ben whats the score buddy as I have so lost track of what is incoming, is stock en-route to OcUK so those who have faithfully placed pre-orders and parted with cash will also get cards this week?

Soldato
Very much wishful thinking I reckon.

Several times this has been asked and not a squeek from those who should have more of an idea, does not smell good. Going by very real situation with FTW I cannot see the classy appearing until late August earliest. Would happily be proven wrong.

If the classified slips to late August i will not wait until then.

Ben EVGA rep could you find out any dates for the classified is the 22nd july eta or not, i have spent £1600 on a order in may and nothing to show for it, my patience is wearing thin, what is the problem with the delay of these cards or are the yanks getting all the stock whist the uk gets nothing.

Associate
Asus update:

1070 Strix OC: 100+ this week!
1070 Strix: 100+ this week!

1080 Strix OC: 50 this week :(
1080 Strix: 100+ this week.

Better than previous weeks, but still not great, expected later this week, they are working on an update as I mentioned their statement of 1000 units of 1080 this week and that this seems to fall far short, looks like someone got a bit ahead of themselves.

Should have just ordered the standard Strix and OC'd myself. :( Can you share how many of those Strix OC are going to systems and how many to individuals?

I won't get mine either way but its a difference of climbing 50 places or 15.

Soldato
Should have just ordered the standard Strix and OC'd myself. :( Can you share how many of those Strix OC are going to systems and how many to individuals?

If you aren't getting a strix OC in this batch, it's looking like 2-3 weeks wait. If the batch after is also only 50, you're looking at a month wait if you're 100+. That's my take on it given recent performance and all the pre-order dates that were completely bogus. Maybe in 2 weeks they'll send over the 1000s they claimed, or maybe they won't.

OcUK Staff
OP

They go in date order, so based on the date when order was placed irrelevent of system or not.

Associate

The issues everyone is talking about are just rumours. Nothing official from ASUS suggesting that there are problems with this card. In fact, a few others targeting a similar boost clock as the Strix are not reporting issues. The card itself is the same as all the others.

To be honest, by the time we've waited for EVGA or MSI to come down in price and be widely available, the Strix will probably be available, and again, hitting that original £619 cost probably won't happen for a long time.

I've had a ASUS monitor fail on me before and they happily replaced it quite quickly with no issues. My previous system had a ASUS 680, although reference blower, is still going strong in my brother's system. My new build has the Z170-Deluxe board which is doing fine.

ASUS aren't all that bad, all these companies have their fair share of complaints/bad experiences and because the delays for this particular card is being widely reported because so many people pre ordered, its no wonder ASUS are at the top of the pile for angry customers.

Back
Top Bottom