• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** OcUK HAS 21 CUSTOM GTX 1080 MODELS READY FOR PRE-ORDER !! **

Associate
Gibbo, are the standard xtremes in the ones that have gone missing? I'm waiting on one and you seem to update regarding the PP and waterforce but say nothing on the standard.
+1

I have two standard xtremes on preorder. Been waiting over a month already and some info would be much appreciated..

Associate
The issues everyone is talking about are just rumours. Nothing official from ASUS suggesting that there are problems with this card. In fact, a few others targeting a similar boost clock as the Strix are not reporting issues. The card itself is the same as all the others.

To be honest, by the time we've waited for EVGA or MSI to come down in price and be widely available, the Strix will probably be available, and again, hitting that original £619 cost probably won't happen for a long time.

I've had a ASUS monitor fail on me before and they happily replaced it quite quickly with no issues. My previous system had a ASUS 680, although reference blower, is still going strong in my brother's system. My new build has the Z170-Deluxe board which is doing fine.

ASUS aren't all that bad, all these companies have their fair share of complaints/bad experiences and because the delays for this particular card is being widely reported because so many people pre ordered, its no wonder ASUS are at the top of the pile for angry customers.

ASUS are pretty notorious for bad customer service. This is actually a big plus for OCUK, I bought a 4k ROG monitor that had a fault and got a no-nonsense return within a couple of working days - I absolutely hate to think what would have happened if I'd had to deal directly with ASUS UK.

There have to be yield issues. There's a reason there's 2 versions of the Strix and the non-OC one has at least twice the numbers being shipped - they obviously went a bit too aggressive with the clock and aren't getting enough cards that can hit it. I doubt there's a fundamental issue, they were a bit too optimistic about what factory OC they could reliably pump out.

e: to be clear, I absolutely love ASUS because they consistently put out top-tier products and their stuff can be trusted to work - I'm just not blind to their faults as a company.

Last edited:
Soldato
The issues everyone is talking about are just rumours. Nothing official from ASUS suggesting that there are problems with this card. In fact, a few others targeting a similar boost clock as the Strix are not reporting issues. The card itself is the same as all the others.

To be honest, by the time we've waited for EVGA or MSI to come down in price and be widely available, the Strix will probably be available, and again, hitting that original £619 cost probably won't happen for a long time.

I've had a ASUS monitor fail on me before and they happily replaced it quite quickly with no issues. My previous system had a ASUS 680, although reference blower, is still going strong in my brother's system. My new build has the Z170-Deluxe board which is doing fine.

ASUS aren't all that bad, all these companies have their fair share of complaints/bad experiences and because the delays for this particular card is being widely reported because so many people pre ordered, its no wonder ASUS are at the top of the pile for angry customers.

You make fair points. The issue for me is the complete lack of information. The continual movement of shipment dates from as early as 3rd of June to some time in the next week for just 50 cards. Anyone in the 100-200 queue rang may not even see their card for a month. Anyone over that probably has no chance.

Consider that everything we've seen suggests that almost all the cards are going to hit 1.9ghz unless you're unlikely and you might ask what are you getting for your money? 3 fans that are probably louder than the competition anyway but admittedly probably do keep it cool.

EVGA and MSI have cards in stock right now across the internet that will cool just as well and quieter and will almost certainly hit that clock. You just might have to pay a bit more currently if you wanted it tomorrow. If you believe you may not see your strix for the next 2+ weeks, what are the chances that the other manufacturers begin to come down in price as well? I am just questioning the worth of my order, that is all.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm just frustrated and venting. Been on a 570 gtx for over 5 years now and can't even play recent games. Never dropped so much money on a card before and quite fed-up of how it's being handled. I shall take my negativity elsewhere and leave you gentlemen alone!

Last edited:
Associate
I got a call today from a competitor confirming my 1080 Strix OC system was built tested and ready to ship. I'll have it on Wed morning.

I was #1 in their queue after a 27/5 order so i'm chuffed given the size of the queue here. I know OCUK had a few small batches already and with those huge pre order numbers, getting 50 will only scratch the surface.

I'm not sure whats happening at Asus. A few weeks back they faced bad PR due to allegations of rigging review samples of this card (not so in my opinion) then there were rumours of overheating and then they go and release a 1080 Strix card identical in appearance to the OC but with FE clock speed - without really announcing it.

The slower card is more available - was in stock here last week and has 2 x OC levels due in this week.

As pointed out already - companies like Palit, Inno3d and MSI have been able to literally deliver so its about time ASUS did too.

Associate
Asus graphics card ? ...Never Ever again. I had Asus Ares III -1400£ card and Asus Strix 980TI OC.... and their customer support is a joke. Like..."ok, you are not getting my money again!".
I woudl rather go with evga or msi

Associate
FAO: EVGA BEN

Ben promised that OcUK customers would be looked after, he knows how many we have pre-sold, so I am sure he must have sent some stock our way to get cards into customers hands rather than sat on the shelf at a competitor who clearly does not have the pre-orders.

Hopefully Ben has sent us stock and it will be here in a day or two? Ben whats the score buddy as I have so lost track of what is incoming, is stock en-route to OcUK so those who have faithfully placed pre-orders and parted with cash will also get cards this week?

As I have said at the weekend the SC cards for the GTX1070 and 1080 are incoming this week along with the FTW GTX1080 units. They will arrive likely Thursday with OCUK.

Thanks
Ben

Associate
ASUS are pretty notorious for bad customer service. This is actually a big plus for OCUK, I bought a 4k ROG monitor that had a fault and got a no-nonsense return within a couple of working days - I absolutely hate to think what would have happened if I'd had to deal directly with ASUS UK.

There have to be yield issues. There's a reason there's 2 versions of the Strix and the non-OC one has at least twice the numbers being shipped - they obviously went a bit too aggressive with the clock and aren't getting enough cards that can hit it. I doubt there's a fundamental issue, they were a bit too optimistic about what factory OC they could reliably pump out.

e: to be clear, I absolutely love ASUS because they consistently put out top-tier products and their stuff can be trusted to work - I'm just not blind to their faults as a company.

As the same with any other company. I also agree with in that they estimated too high for the clocks on the card and are now having problems getting a healthy amount of chips to perform in a stable state. My biggest keeping power for this card is the price I got it at on pre-order. If there was another like the Gaming X etc at the same figure, I would have jumped ship long ago.

You make fair points. The issue for me is the complete lack of information. The continual movement of shipment dates from as early as 3rd of June to some time in the next week for just 50 cards. Anyone in the 100-200 queue rang may not even see their card for a month. Anyone over that probably has no chance.

Consider that everything we've seen suggests that almost all the cards are going to hit 1.9ghz unless you're unlikely and you might ask what are you getting for your money? 3 fans that are probably louder than the competition anyway but admittedly probably do keep it cool.

EVGA and MSI have cards in stock right now across the internet that will cool just as well and quieter and will almost certainly hit that clock. You just might have to pay a bit more currently if you wanted it tomorrow. If you believe you may not see your strix for the next 2+ weeks, what are the chances that the other manufacturers begin to come down in price as well? I am just questioning the worth of my order, that is all.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm just frustrated and venting. Been on a 570 gtx for over 5 years now and can't even play recent games. Never dropped so much money on a card before and quite fed-up of how it's being handled. I shall take my negativity elsewhere and leave you gentlemen alone!

You have every right to vent, my posts in this thread have been subtle but along the same path. That's only because I like to keep informed on what is happening which apart from Gibbo, not much has been said other than angry customers voicing the same concerns. Thankfully, OCUK haven't taken any money yet so apart from the order holding in my account, the funds are still in my pocket.

You're lucky you still have a graphics card to play with. I'm using this shocking iGPU Intel HD 530. It makes me want to punch my screen at how poorly it performs. Most games are sub 20 unless I run at 720p or lower with the lowest settings. At this moment in time, the only think keeping me in the loop with the Strix is my initial pre-order figure. Until another card (not reference) is widely available in stock (I believe OCUK are still doing pre-orders on most) and of the same/very similar price, I don't see any point in my patience cracking and I quickly jump to buy the card which is available now.

Associate
All the wavering and order switching by the rest of you has meant I had confirmed this morning my FTW order is now at position 36.

Hopefully will be gaming on it this weekend then!

Associate

I have a Rog monitor as well, which failed after a few months. Asus sorted me a replacement within a week, no questions asked, all done through their online system. No complaints from me, they were great.

Associate
I have a Rog monitor as well, which failed after a few months. Asus sorted me a replacement within a week, no questions asked, all done through their online system. No complaints from me, they were great.

You must have been be very lucky. I once had to return a Deluxe motherboard. Took them 2,5 months to send me a replacement. That's 2,5 months of me not having a gaming PC!!!

Back
Top Bottom