Still a 1440p panel lottery?

Soldato
Well, after the AU Optronics 1440p IPS lottery I endured just after Christmas, I am back in the hunt for a montior.

Is it still a lottery or has it all calmed down now?

Soldato
Yes. Which is why I just went for the 1080, curved AOC VA monitor in the end (and I actually really like it for gaming on), I found one for just over £400 which was a bargain. It has a perfect picture unlike the £200 more expensive Asus I sent back, which had everything from bad gamma to dead pixels.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lottery. I go as far as saying it's 50/50 whether it'll be acceptable or not. It's a damn shame but us lot here are particularly looking for any imperfections in the first place so bear this in mind. And no don't accept any screen fault BTW.

Associate
It's ridiculous that only ASUS and Acer have 144hz 1440P G-Sync monitors and they are both as bad as each other (and this extends to their 4k models too).

The new AOC seems to be using the same QC plagued panel as the two 1440P above.

I think I give up on this class of monitor. My only hope was to order from a well known retailer with a great return policy but they actually stopped selling the 1440P models due to all the returns, so I can't just buy them from that place and return easily if I get duds.

Soldato
Got a 34' Samsung panel recently and very very happy with it. Decided to go with the VA panel after getting vague replies from local PC stores on their returns policy with regards to IPS BLB, dead pixels, etc.

Am in the hunt now for a 34' G'Sync panel (probably x34) but 2nd hand only due to being able to view the screen beforehand before buying. As you can appreciate that it's a difficult search as anyone with one of these screens in a perfect condition is unlikely to let it go easily.

But yes, still a massive lottery by the looks of it.

Associate
I bought an Acer XB271HU (Predator 27" 1440P IPS GSync) for £256 delivered.

I found them refurbished sold 'as-new'.

My friend received one too and he has no dead pixels, no damage to the monitor and minimal glow/BLB.

I'll let you know how mine fares. :p

Soldato
This is a rubbish situation, I'd love to upgrade to a 1070 + 1440p from my current 970 + 1080p but every time I get the urge to splurge I'm imediatly put off by the lack of decent quality 27"1440p ips GSync monitors available at a fair price. My 970 handles everything I play at good levels so until the monitor situation is sorted there's no point in even upgrading my GPU

Man of Honour
Seems to be a lottery in general :| I just bought the 144Hz 1440p Dell and mine is pretty good - still got the poor out the box gamma but they all have that - but some of the people who bought around the same time as me had dead pixels or bad backlight bleed :S

Soldato
I got mine with some backlight bleed but couldn't care less because unless some moron brings it up I totally ignore it. I'm not calling you a moron obviously but I always get annoyed when reminded of it :D I had the exact some question when buying mine back in May and mine was made in september 2015 anyway.

Soldato
This is a rubbish situation, I'd love to upgrade to a 1070 + 1440p from my current 970 + 1080p but every time I get the urge to splurge I'm imediatly put off by the lack of decent quality 27"1440p ips GSync monitors available at a fair price. My 970 handles everything I play at good levels so until the monitor situation is sorted there's no point in even upgrading my GPU

"Quoted for Truth" (srsly, what's up with swear-blocking the acronym? O_o)

I've never held onto a CPU+GPU for so long, but the games I play run fine at 1200p, and I've lost faith in this/last year's monitors to be of sufficient quality.

Considering spending a ridiculous amount of cash on a Dell, just because I have reasonable faith in being able to return a few until I get a good one... but it's mad that buyers have to do this at all. How many people just put up with rubbish screens because they can't be bothered calling the manufacturer out on it? :S

Last edited:
Soldato
Lived the best part of 5 years with a dead pixel on the XL2410T. It was bothering me on total black screen.
But even in EVE online looked natural.

The xl2730z might have some bleed it but doesnt bother me. Might show on a camera picture but doesnt affect me while gaming.
But now i want a gsync monitor and while the prices are stupid the quality is not worthy the money.
I will be waiting the new line of samsungs with the quantum dotm they are due 2H 2016 and includes gsync monitors (but much better freesync lineup which will be ruined by AMD drivers as current monitors)

Man of Honour
I got mine with some backlight bleed but couldn't care less because unless some moron brings it up I totally ignore it. I'm not calling you a moron obviously but I always get annoyed when reminded of it :D I had the exact some question when buying mine back in May and mine was made in september 2015 anyway.

I've been called worse.

Soldato
I'm looking at getting a 1440p/IPS/VA/144Hz/Freesync screen and i'm seriously considering just driving upto OcUK to get it so that I can at least test it there and then and reject if the panel is crap.

I mean surely the diesel cost will outweigh the potential faff of a naff model?

Of course, there are also horror stories about Acer and Asus support that worry me and I really can't justify the Eizo. And then Dell announce a nice IPS Freesync screen but it's 1080p with a crap refresh range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom