Fitted wardrobes - on carpet or carpet up to?

Associate
So I'm about to start redoing our main bedroom from scratch.

The boss wants fitted wardrobes and the ikea pax stuff fits both budget and the room just perfectly.

However I can't work out whether I should fit the wardrobes and carpet up to them or carpet the whole room and put the wardrobes on.

If I was to carpet first I can forsee an issue with gripper strips tipping the wardrobe a little?

Does anyone have some experience of this?

Soldato
In that case lay carpet first but don't bother with the grip strips where the wardrobes are going, the point of strips is to hold the carpet in place I expect the weight of the wardrobes with achieve this.

Laying carpet flush to the front of the wardrobes may be a pain as they do not have single flush straight edge.

Associate
Having already been through this i advise you carpet up to the wardrobes and not under them. I initially had carpet under the wardrobes but they never sat totally level and in my opinion always looked odd so when i redecorated the bedroom the new carpet was laid after i had refitted the wardrobes direct to thd floor.

Soldato
I have recently finished out bedroom with PAX and hat it sat ON the carpet without issue, I did this just to cover all bases should we wish to move the room around later on in the year. so far so good this hasn't happened :D but with a woman anything can happen.

Associate
I also carpeted first and put the PAX on top in two bedrooms with no problems. Surely you're going to get a neater finish by laying the carpet first. Also when you're assembling the wardrobes, you'll want to do it on the carpet otherwise they'll get scratched.

Soldato
I carpeted first as well but I didn't fix the Pax wardrobe to the wall, all I did was use some spare wedges to put under the front of the wardrobe so the gripper rod didn't make the wardrobe lean forward.

If I was going to make the wardrobe a fitted wardrobe I would definately lay the carpet afterwards and fit it up to the wardrobe as it would make changing the carpet a hell of a lot easier.

Soldato
We carpeted our rooms first before having the fitted furniture installed. Looks spot on, i'd go with getting your room carpeted first and having stuff installed over it.

Associate
If I was going to make the wardrobe a fitted wardrobe I would definately lay the carpet afterwards and fit it up to the wardrobe as it would make changing the carpet a hell of a lot easier.

But would make changing the wardrobes significantly more difficult...

Soldato
If you already have carpet down, you can fit over it. If not then lay the carpet around it. It's very very easy to level fitted wardrobes on carpet.

It also depends if fitted means just that, or just in place for a couple of years before rearranging.

Pax wardrobes are very easy to fit and scribe in. Also very easy to move around / remodel with. They do need to be well anchored to the back wall though.

Soldato
Putting fitted wardrobes over carpet is a no no as carpet will continue to move and stretch over time and will alter the fit of the wardrobe frames. Always fit carpet up to the wardrobes even if the carpet is already down, peel it back then re fit. It takes 5 minutes to do the job properly.

Back
Top Bottom