Need a budget laptop with a decent gpu

Associate
Hey guys, what I need is a relatively cheap laptop (around 450 pounds), with a decent video card, what I managed to find is this one

Competitor link

Anyone can comment on this choice? Or maybe offer something else?
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Oh, sorry for that, so I'll just write the name of it. ACER ASPIRE E5-573G (ENG) FULL HD GT I5

Would this be for gaming or for something along the lines of video editing/3D CAD, etc? If it's gaming, what games would you expect to be playing on it?

The computer would be for studies and gaming sometimes yes. I'd expect to play some of the newer games low-mid graphics (Fifa, PES, GTA V, Mafia 3)

Soldato
It probably won't be a "decent" graphics card but some sort of Optimus arrangement where an Intel GPU shares the load with a cut down Nvidia etc. If you saw my post a bit further down the page, I have a three month old HP Pavilion in the retailers repair shop at present with a fault, probably caused by heat damage. This was tagged as a "gaming laptop" but even just running Google Earth was sending it into hairdryer mode.

Associate
There are a few videos on Youtube kicking around which give you an idea of what to expect from the GT920m graphics - which is to say that yes; you'll be able to play games on it, but you'll need to turn the resolution and settings down pretty low in order to have anything approaching an enjoyable experience.

Ultimately, I think you'll need to spend about £600 if you're after something with a bit more grunt, which should get you something with a GTX950m which is a far more capable graphics card.

Associate
OP
Daamn, thanks guys, I was thinking bout the overheating problem a lot, is the cooling such a big problem with laptops and especially the cheaper ones?
Although 500quid ain't that cheap..

By the way what if I cut down to 4gb of ram and have a GeForce 940M inside instead. What do you think?
The model in specific is ASUS X555LB

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm probably gonna get Asus X555LB, the specs are:
Intel Core i5-5200U, 2.2GHz
6GB DDR3, 1600MHz
1.0TB HDD 5400 aps./min.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 940M (2GB DDR3 VRAM)
The price is the same as acer, but besides the ram everything looks better on the Asus

Back
Top Bottom