Audi Emissions Software Update - Mandatory in the UK?

Associate
Morning!

I've recently had my Audi serviced, to which they informed me that two software updates were available;

1) Air Conditioning
2) Emissions

I stated that I did not want the Emissions update carrying out and signed there job list that I presume they give to the technician?

Anyway, picked the car up and I can distinctly notice the lack of performance, mainly due to the fact that previously my car was re-mapped & all i can presume now is that they have carried out this emissions update despite me stating that I didn't want it...

Is it a mandatory requirement to have this update? If so, I will be getting back on to Audi and asking why I wasnt informed of this prior to the service. If it isn't, then I will be asking for them to pay for the re-mapping service again!

Is there an easy way of determining if the update has been done? or do I need VAG Com?

Cheers guys! :)

Associate
OP
Why would you need to update the ECU as part of the service.....

That isn't stated prior to taking the car in, so why should they carry out work that you haven't agreed with?

Soldato
BMW are normally very reluctant to update modules unless there is a fault, or a part being fitted to the car needs a later software version to be able to function.

Not sure about VW/Audi though - but I would imagine it's a similar thing?

Caporegime
It depends entirely on if any faults or flaws have been detected in the versions of the software the car's controllers are running, they don't just go flashing for the sake of it.

Soldato
Why would you need to update the ECU as part of the service.....

That isn't stated prior to taking the car in, so why should they carry out work that you haven't agreed with?

This is the emissions fix after they got busted. All VAG cars affected will get a new ECU update to fix the issue.

Soldato
Sounds like classic VW/Audi service. Say one thing, do another. Usually it's them not doing what you have asked/paid for.

Would not be surprised if they did the emissions update anyway. In which case, seeing as you hadn't signed for it...they might have something to answer for!

Presumably one can use VCDS (I have one but never felt the need to use it for this) to check the software version on the ECU?

Associate
OP
Had a call back from the service manager... they questioned the technician and he admitted to starting the software update, however he clicked 'abort' part way through the process when he realised he shouldn't have done it....

Audi is going to refund me for the cost of having it remapped !! :D = result!

Soldato
Had a call back from the service manager... they questioned the technician and he admitted to starting the software update, however he clicked 'abort' part way through the process when he realised he shouldn't have done it....

Audi is going to refund me for the cost of having it remapped !! :D = result!

Rare dealer success?

Soldato
BMW are normally very reluctant to update modules unless there is a fault, or a part being fitted to the car needs a later software version to be able to function.

Not sure about VW/Audi though - but I would imagine it's a similar thing?

VW cars with navigation have free map updates included for three years so the system is updated each time the car is in for work, any firmware updates are done at the same time. I expect Audi do the same.

Soldato
VW cars with navigation free map updates are included for the first three years so the system is updated each time the car is in for work, any firmware updates are done at the same time. I expect Audi do the same.

Firmware updates to the MMI perhaps, but I'd be *very* surprised if they started updating modules within the car as a matter of course. Updates can fail on these and leave them bricked.

Bricked ECU's cost ££££

Back
Top Bottom