6700K Overclock on Auto Voltage

Associate
Hi. The maximum overclock on auto voltage (1.32v reported by aida64 and cpuz) is 4.6 by increasing the multiplier to 46. I don't want to go any higher due to limitations of my air cooler. Is it best to stick to auto voltage or set it manually?

Soldato
Always manually. You may find that you are able to tweak it down a bit. Auto voltage can apply too much voltage, especially when the system is on load.

+1 and to add that auto voltage on my own 6700k was very aggressive at times. Best course of action is keep testing manually to reduce it and find the point where it fails, then at about 0.01 to that so its stable and turn on adaptive to allow a little more under turbo (+0.02). Plenty of guides on it now if you search around here.

Associate
OP
Always manually. You may find that you are able to tweak it down a bit. Auto voltage can apply too much voltage, especially when the system is on load.

I'll have a go manually, thanks. Btw, does it apply the auto voltage according to the overclock? At 4.6 it was 1.32v and @ 4.7 it went up to 1.38v during stress testing.

Soldato
I'll have a go manually, thanks. Btw, does it apply the auto voltage according to the overclock? At 4.6 it was 1.32v and @ 4.7 it went up to 1.38v during stress testing.

Sometimes, but usually it just pushes the voltage to the max, and underload pushes through even more.

With my 5820K at 4.0Ghz auto will push 1.25V, and up to nearly 1.3V under AIDA 64.

With manual I have it stable at 1.08V 4.0Ghz. It can be a rather large difference sometimes.

Associate
yeah never use auto voltage; take the time to find the max you need for a good overclock and use that. (using DVID is good too as it downclocks and down volts on idle)

Back
Top Bottom