Michael Schumacher seriously injured

Soldato
I understand their desire for privacy etc but it would be nice to know how the guy is doing without all of this cryptic clickbait. Is he a potato fed through a tube or is he just wheelchair bound and paralyzed?

His fans want to know how he is. It's not much to ask honestly.

But then at the end of the day it's also none of their business.

On the one hand I'd be interested to know his state and that he's "ok" but on the other hand i massively respect how private the family have managed to keep all this.

Man of Honour
Mean while you are in living hell. Being bored is not pleasant now imagine that 24/7 for years with no movement or communication on top of that.

Enough awareness that your brain isn't functioning properly but unable to do anything would be an absolute living hell. I suspect there are varying degrees from those that aren't really aware and their mind in a damaged primitive state until its well on its way to recovery through to those who have almost perfectly functioning internal capabilities but no ability to engage anything externally i.e. shut in.

I understand their desire for privacy etc but it would be nice to know how the guy is doing without all of this cryptic clickbait. Is he a potato fed through a tube or is he just wheelchair bound and paralyzed?

His fans want to know how he is. It's not much to ask honestly.

I don't believe he is paralysed as such - just that the state his brain is in doesn't include processing anything but instinctive physical functions - the most reliably information to date (which is a bit old now) seems to suggest that his consciousness is basically like that of a child in very early development able to limitedly react to familiar things - don't really want to speculate but knowing a couple of people who have been through similar I can kind of conceptualise where he is likely at.

Man of Honour
Enough awareness that your brain isn't functioning properly but unable to do anything would be an absolute living hell. I suspect there are varying degrees from those that aren't really aware and their mind in a damaged primitive state until its well on its way to recovery through to those who have almost perfectly functioning internal capabilities but no ability to engage anything externally i.e. shut in.

while somewhat true, they found that a lot more people in "comas" are aware than they ever thought, through brain scanning.

i just don't find it morally right, that family decides and to a certain degree doctors/legal system to keep someone alive in such a state on an extremely small chance in 10 years time they'll snap out of it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I remember the article on that - IIRC they concluded that familiar stimuli was more useful than generally thought.

Man of Honour
Nothing basically - the latest that is anything like confirmed is that he is making very very slow progress without any significant negative or positive changes.

Soldato
It would be good if they released an official statement rather than being forced to deny things in the courts like they've had to do but at the end of the day they don't have to say anything and they seem to be going for the total privacy route. (As frustrating as that is for the fans who just want to hear he's 'ok') :(

Soldato
I think if there were any 'good' news, we would have heard it. There's simply no chance of a happy ending on this one.

Probably (possibly), the family understands that MS wouldn't have wanted the world to see him in such a diminished state, and is protecting his legacy in that respect.

Man of Honour
I'm completely confused! Is he still in a coma or not? Is he responsive or not? What on earth is going on?

It's all quite distressing!

It doesn't suggest he is still in a coma - but that doesn't mean he has recovered full use of his mental faculties - everything seems to point to his mental capacity being extremely diminished by the damage and so far not progressed much beyond basic recognition of familiar objects it also mentions that he can't walk but this is probably not paralysis in the traditional sense though it could be that permanent or long term damage has been done to those parts of the brain - its more likely that his brain simply isn't processing anything in relation to moving like a very young baby. Given their reluctance to talk about it I suspect that is largely what his condition is - like that of a very young child with little voluntary movement and only basic recognition/emotions, etc. and a very long road to recovery.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm guessing brains take a lot longer to recover than the rest of our bodies? How long could the brain take to heal to a point where he's able again? if its been over 2 and a half years already with no real change we could be looking at this thread in 10 years time with still no change. :(

Soldato
Ironic that the family are suing to keep their privacy, and in doing so have to reveal all to the court, and so the public.

It is strange. They could have just stayed quiet but obviously felt strong enough about it to say something even if that meant giving things away that they hadn't up until now.

Man of Honour
I'm guessing brains take a lot longer to recover than the rest of our bodies? How long could the brain take to heal to a point where he's able again? if its been over 2 and a half years already with no real change we could be looking at this thread in 10 years time with still no change. :(

As I mentioned I think earlier in the thread - know someone who suffered a generally similar injury in a motor cycle accident when I was a kid - some time around 1990 or so and they got back on a motorbike (which they'd been eager to do not like they were scared of it) for the first time since about a year ago.

There is no standard recovery rate really with brains.

Soldato

If he is in an induced coma (and nothing suggests he is) then there are recorded instances of people coming out of the coma after many more years than this and going on to lead a relatively normal life thereafter (though obviously needing a lot of physiotherapy for muscle wastage and probably the basic nerve functions). It's rare, extremely rare, but it is possible.

That said, I think we almost 'know' that he isn't in a coma. :(

Man of Honour

Unfortunately our brains have very little capacity to heal major injury, much less than the rest of our body.

Always makes me a little sad when this thread pops up and there is no good news :(

Back
Top Bottom