Extremely long load times with games and benchmarking in fullscreen mode

Associate
Hi guys,

My setup:

Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7 mobo
i7 6700K (clocked at 4.6Ghz)
16GB G.Skill 3200 RAM
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD
2x Titan X (Pascal) in SLI (latest drivers)

I have a problem which I really don't understand. Before I explain, I just want to say that I haven't yet done any in depth troubleshooting yet. The only things I've tried were disabling SLI and toggling G-Sync, to no avail unfortunately.

The issue is that when I'm running games (or the heaven benchmarking tool) in fullscreen mode they take forever to load. I'll hit the button to start the benchmarking tool or to run a game and it takes a huge amount of time to appear on the screen. I just have to sit looking at a black screen for ages before it appears. As soon as I switch to windowed mode things load MUCH faster.

As an aside, I do have an Oculus Rift plugged into the system which I have not unplugged. I doubt very much whether it could have a bearing on the situation, but might be worth mentioning in case it's a known issue with the software/drivers.

I can imagine that this is going to get very frustrating if I can't find the solution so any and all help greatly appreciated!

Associate
OP
Next update:

Have removed the CPU overclock and disabled the XMP profile for the RAM in the BIOS. This seems a lot more like some kind of software issue in Windows, but I don't know for sure and without any kind of error messages I have literally nothing to go on.

Soldato
Have you done a speed test / health test on the Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD ?

Also have you made sure to install Samsung's NVMe drivers for it ?

Also make sure in the BIOS/UEFI that the 950 NVMe is setup right and not lost any configurations there.

Associate
OP
Sorry, not much help but I just want to say that is a fantastic rig you have (*-*)

I hope you get it working perfectly soon!

Thank you very much. Your well wishes obviously worked because I've got it sorted! :D I used Display Driver Uninstaller to completely strip out the driver and reinstalled ver 372.70. It's working like a charm now and everything loads like lightning. Thank you also to people who offered advice. Much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom