Garmin 810 for £180 (29/09/16)

Soldato
I saw this on Facebook yesterday.

It's a great deal, as long as you don't need the speed, cadence and heart rate monitor.

If you want those things, you may as well buy the bundle rather than buying them all separately, it works out about £1.50 more expensive.

Soldato
Don't think people have gone that mad for it. Still stock in Weston-super-Mare.

I picked up and put down a merino beanie and skullcap about 6 times, left it in the end. Did stock up on muc off and GT85 though and bought a little rear flasher to leave on the road bike.

Man of Honour
Their Bikemate £12.99 front and rear lights seem quite good. Not as bright as my Moon Nebula that they're a complete rip off of, and no idea what the battery life will be like, but maybe they're ok.

Soldato
The little metal trim in the middle of my one is already coming away from the unit. It is only cosmetic but I think it points towards the quality not being there. The mounts as well have a bit more flashing on them than I had on my proper Moon light.

The tiny rear flasher... I know it was only £2.99 but I had to take it apart and reassemble it as the light wasn't in the housing properly and the rubber o-ring had been mangled in the thread so I doubt it is as waterproof as it should be now.

I have no idea why I keep buying cheap stuff. Maybe one day I'll learn.

Associate
Still nothing wrong with my trusty Garmin Edge 705. However my son bought a 810, i almost parted with my money too but i couldn't justify it as absolutely nothing wrong with my 705.

Man of Honour
The little metal trim in the middle of my one is already coming away from the unit. It is only cosmetic but I think it points towards the quality not being there. The mounts as well have a bit more flashing on them than I had on my proper Moon light.

The tiny rear flasher... I know it was only £2.99 but I had to take it apart and reassemble it as the light wasn't in the housing properly and the rubber o-ring had been mangled in the thread so I doubt it is as waterproof as it should be now.

I have no idea why I keep buying cheap stuff. Maybe one day I'll learn.
Yeah me too. I should just stop.it's not like in mind paying for quality

Soldato
I'm considering a new bike computer and this has got me wondering... is this really a good deal when an edge 520 can be had for the same price? I mean it was good in it's day but I'm struggling to see what it offers over a 520 now?

Man of Honour
I'm considering a new bike computer and this has got me wondering... is this really a good deal when an edge 520 can be had for the same price? I mean it was good in it's day but I'm struggling to see what it offers over a 520 now?

Routing via .gpx files, which is marginally (definitely marginally) better than .tcx, even once you mess with the file to 'prepare' turn-by-turn.

Additionally, being able to get the Garmin to create a route for you whilst out and about.

Personally the above two things are such low priority for me that I'd go for a 520 instead... However, the third difference is a bit more of a big deal (not enough to make it an obvious choice though):

SD card support so you can have the entire UK mapped in full detail. Not possible with a 520. May not matter to many and simply requires a bit more hassle to prepare when travelling.

edit:

If you're getting something new I'd look into the Elemnt. Similar to the 520. Worse in terms of no colour maps. Better in terms of support from Wahoo (way more responsive than Garmin, at least for now) and also some awesome features like auto-sync of routes from Strava route builder. This particular feature is enough to tempt me away from my 810.

Soldato
Yeah I'm not too worried about mapping. I'll happily head out on a 70 miler on unknown roads with a breadcrumb trail on my 200 so the 520 would be fine in that regard.

I'd be all over the Wahoo but I use my fenix 3 for walking, swimming and running so I'd like to keep my cycling stats in the same framework.

Back
Top Bottom