Make Win10 look like Win7

Soldato
Can you make Windows 10 look like Windows 7? I tried it last night and it looked too tablety with the huge control panel buttons the look and feel. Also it hung when it was shutting down "getting ready..." so I wiped it and went back to Windows 7.

But if I get a new GPU with DX12/Vulcan I would need Windows 10?:mad:

Man of Honour
I plan on dual booting eventually if I need to use 10 for DX12 - I've not had good results with 10 at all and just hate how disjointed and ugly the UI is.

Is there a way to get the Win+X menu in Windows 7? As that would be just about the only thing I'd miss, plus the auto-wired network switch-over from wireless you get on laptops for example when you plug a network cable in.

I'm still undecided overall with Windows 10, my main gripe is the way that MS now handle updates.

Associate
I'm seriously thinking about going back to Windows 7.

Windows 10 is just ugly & clunky. It's like they've deliberately changed everything they could possibly change and I simply cannot get on with it.
My programs are programs, not "aps" ffs.

Bearing in mind I just use my PC for surfing, basic office stuff & occasional gaming, what exactly would I be missing out on if I go back to win 7?
DX12?
Anything else?
Am I just gonna have to upgrade back to 10 again anyway at some point or is there another OS in the pipeline that'll be more like win XP/7/8?

Soldato
Win 10 is a load of hyped up rubbish.

Windowblinds will help you out to look like Win7

To be honest with you, Windows 7 is visually superior to Windows 10 and so just go that way.

yer, I don't see the need for those moving advert tiles, and god knows how you are supposed to find the set of tools installed by different apps - eg install a printer and rather than a simple folder with 5 or 6 items in you seem to have to know what everything is called to ever find it again (or maybe im using it wrong)...

Soldato

Windows 10 is just ugly & clunky. It's like they've deliberately changed everything they could possibly change and I simply cannot get on with it.

Bearing in mind I just use my PC for surfing, basic office stuff & occasional gaming, what exactly would I be missing out on if I go back to win 7?
DX12?
Anything else?
Am I just gonna have to upgrade back to 10 again anyway at some point or is there another OS in the pipeline that'll be more like win XP/7/8?

If that's all you use the PC for then Windows 7 isn't going to do it any better?
What's actually wrong with Windows 10? Hear a lot of die-hards moaning about it but other than "I don't like ho wit looks" and "it's spying on me" there isn't much justification.

And for what it's worth, Windows 7 looks like something from the 90s nowadays, sorry!

Man of Honour
If that's all you use the PC for then Windows 7 isn't going to do it any better?
What's actually wrong with Windows 10? Hear a lot of die-hards moaning about it but other than "I don't like ho wit looks" and "it's spying on me" there isn't much justification.

And for what it's worth, Windows 7 looks like something from the 90s nowadays, sorry!

I suggest you look at what people are posting again - sure there are the diehards who don't like change but there are plenty of people with legit complaints.

EDIT: Oh and it does look like gash - when you spend a lot of the day at a PC that starts to become an issue - in older OSes it was much easier to theme for one and generally they were easier on the eyes than 10 is - having 10 and 7 booted up side by side most days I find 10 quite fatiguing on the eyes in comparison to 7 - wholesale UI replacements for 10 tend to take away some of the advantages of using 10 in the first place also which kind of defeats a lot of the point of using it.

Last edited:

It is not about being a die-hard fan, there are genuine concerns raised in this thread, many others on this forum and over the internet, which MS fanboys seem to be blind and deaf to.

You can say it is dated (that's fine, everyone is entitled to their own opinion), but if you think it looks like something from the 90s, you need to turn off the classic theme. ;)

Man of Honour
^^ It might look like something from the 90s though not really its more early 2000 era - but atleast it is competently done with attention to aesthetics and an overall level of polish and unified look.

Soldato

DX12?
Anything else?

You could always go mega brave and try Ubuntu.

I did, and it took some getting to grips with but gaming support is improving all the time and WINE is there to help in certain cases where it isn't. ;)

Man of Honour
Sadly Linux is a million miles from replacing my main desktop usage - I have some installs for specific stuff.

Associate
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is aggravated by the word 'apps'. Apps are for phones, end of. :p
Using Win10 here with classic shell. Took some getting used to but I find it's fine. No better or worse than Win 7 tbh.

Associate
You could always use classic shell.

gives you the windows 7 start menu etc

you can download it from here

http://classicshell.net/

link below on settings

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

I will certainly give this a whirl.

Actually, yes, Windows 7 is going to do it better for me. Sorry. I used to have Windows 7 and I preferred it massively. I could actually find my files & programs when I wanted to and the whole thing didn't feel like the UI was based on some cheap child's tablet from ToysRuS.
Since I installed Windows 10 (approx 1 year ago) I've hardly used my computer -it's just not fun to use any more. Everything feels like a chore with Windows 10.
Personally I can't be arsed to reinstall Windows 7 so I'm hoping the Classic Shell thing will do the trick for me. If it doesn't then I will just go back to 7 and be done with it. I did consider Linux but I haven't got time to learn to use another OS.

Back
Top Bottom