Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
It's surprisingly only 50 cm wider than the cf810. While I don't own the 820 I have been after one for a while.

I'm just limited for space in my bedroom i'm afraid else the dual pulley would have been perfect. I play a lot of racket ball and the workouts I can do with a hi low pulley would help me a great deal I think. This is the reason I'm considering one.

Associate
Two new additions to my home gym.

A GHD (Glute Ham Developer) and an interval timer / clock.

/QUOTE]

Nice upgrades to your gym Mike1983 - also liking all the tech you have in there - particularly the sonos sub on the wall.

I have also started some changes in my gym. This week I have sold both my raze bars and the associated bumper plates. A bit sad seeing them go, though they have served there purpose well and were sold off in less than 48 hours.

This has allowed me to get some powerlifting gear into my home. The first thing I was able to get is the very lovely Eleiko competition powerlifting bar:

2016-09-19%2018.37.31.jpg

Before putting it in the rack I applied some Velcro to the metal J-hooks. One of the weaker points of the power rack is the J-hooks not offering protection to the bar knurling. Ok just about for cheaper bars not ok for top flight bars:

2016-09-19%2018.21.12.jpg

It's a cheap fix that can be easily replaced and after a few tests seems to be doing ok.

Next thing will be some steel plates - shipment to the supplier is due in towards the end of October.

Associate
Ended up selling the power rack above in the end - got a decent price along with the bench.

So to replaced it I have been working with a local fabricator over the last month or so and today was delivery and build day and here is the final product:

2016-10-19%2012.19.09.jpg

It has 2 inch hole spacing for the j-hooks (which are actually rogue sandwich hooks which have been modified to fit and powder coated), 4" hole spacing on the cross bars for band pegs, galvanized zinc coating for the plate storage pins, single pull up bar at the front, 80 x 80mm section 8 gauge steel (they usually use 60x60mm, laser cut logo and powder coated all for about 1000UKP installed. (also not pictured - dip bars and land-mine)

They are still working on a few extra bits and pieces for me (safety straps, band pegs and some wall storage)

Overall really pleased with something that has been locally produced.

Caporegime
Wanted to ask y'all about exercise bikes/cardio in general.

Firstly, i'm starting to gain weight in my sedentary state and kinda need some cardio going, my opinion was to go for a bike, but its winter and it rains too much for that to be viable... so an Exercise bike seems appropriate ( i don't like gyms btw, much rather do it at home), though dunno what to get since there is upright, recumbent and spinner (though spinner seems rather excessive - maybe not i dunno).

Need opinions and such, don't mind cost as long as its south of £500-600 (also i live top floor with full wood flooring, so i guess a mat is advisable).

Also interested in whatever the best way to stop having such scrawny arms, i mean i know dumbbell training seems to be the easiest way, but maybe a rowing machine is enough i don't particularly like massive arms anyway.

Associate
I have recently moved house and have an 8 x 8 room that was originally planned as a home office, but now that's no longer needed.

It's a detached house, the room is on the ground floor, so noise isn't a concern - however, it's not massive as far as rooms go - I've seen some wall-mounted racks and wondered if anyone has experience of them, and if it'd be worth getting one - or if I should get an unmounted rack for weights?

For cardio I'll probably settle for running/cycling outdoors - but did quite like the idea of getting a boxing bag to mix things up with, however, not sure if there'd be sufficient space in the room for one in addition to a rack - so has anyone ever had an outside set-up?

Associate
Wanted to ask y'all about exercise bikes/cardio in general.

Firstly, i'm starting to gain weight in my sedentary state and kinda need some cardio going, my opinion was to go for a bike, but its winter and it rains too much for that to be viable... so an Exercise bike seems appropriate ( i don't like gyms btw, much rather do it at home), though dunno what to get since there is upright, recumbent and spinner (though spinner seems rather excessive - maybe not i dunno).

Need opinions and such, don't mind cost as long as its south of £500-600 (also i live top floor with full wood flooring, so i guess a mat is advisable).

Also interested in whatever the best way to stop having such scrawny arms, i mean i know dumbbell training seems to be the easiest way, but maybe a rowing machine is enough i don't particularly like massive arms anyway.

I think the rowing machine will be more back/shoulders; you could always do press-ups or dips for triceps - biceps... not sure, chin ups?

I wouldn't worry about getting massive arms from doing some dumb-bell training... I wish it was easy enough to gain mass that it would be a problem!

No help on the cycling front I'm afraid; but will say that I know of a few people who have one that ends up being used as a clothes horse more than an exercise bike - so, if you can find something that you can use whilst doing something else (gaming/tv/whatever) then you'll be more likely to get some use out of it?

Man of Honour
does anyone have weights outside? fed up of gym being stupidly busy at normal times.
Still renting, got a shed I could put weights and the bar in, and then leave the rack out permanently? or possibly just some stands, any do anything similar, or is this a stupid idea.

Soldato
There are some logs with ghetto outdoor setups. Makes you look super hardcore :) I use my leaking garage and the CF415 is small enough to fit in a shed but also versatile enormous go for a good workout. What flat area do you have to work on?

Man of Honour
reasonable sized patio, something like that would easily fit, but would rather not spend that sort of cash until I move. luckily as the gyms be sporadic don't need a lot of weight to start with. 100kilos would be enough. could then buy extra 20kilo plates when needed. I know its not a lot but got £300 lying around. Olympic bar, weights, basic rack and basic bench.

seeing as it would rust and hopefully only need it for 6m-1year what would you think about a cheap version
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...976389?hash=item4657562e05:g:~58AAOSwn7JYCJN~

Last edited:
Associate
reasonable sized patio, something like that would easily fit, but would rather not spend that sort of cash until I move. luckily as the gyms be sporadic don't need a lot of weight to start with. 100kilos would be enough. could then buy extra 20kilo plates when needed. I know its not a lot but got £300 lying around. Olympic bar, weights, basic rack and basic bench.

seeing as it would rust and hopefully only need it for 6m-1year what would you think about a cheap version
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustabl...976389?hash=item4657562e05:g:~58AAOSwn7JYCJN~

I've got that MiraFit one in the garage, which is a 'not weather tight' outbuilding (this is a project which may take some time!) and so far it has been fine. Adjustable with spotter bars for £80, very reasonable IMO.

Soldato

Have you factored in some extra clothing as I use my external garage and it's cold in there in the evenings!

Man of Honour
I train in my garage (full rack) and it does get cold, but once you warm up it's okay - but I'm thinking of perhaps putting a radiator in there (oil one) when it gets really bitter.

It's just the bar that potentially could rust but also gets bloody cold to hold onto!

Associate
I train in my garage (full rack) and it does get cold, but once you warm up it's okay - but I'm thinking of perhaps putting a radiator in there (oil one) when it gets really bitter.

It's just the bar that potentially could rust but also gets bloody cold to hold onto!

What rack do you have in your garage? I'm still trying to plan out my limited home-gym space, so recommendations would be good to have!

Man of Honour
What rack do you have in your garage? I'm still trying to plan out my limited home-gym space, so recommendations would be good to have!

CF475

It's great. It's not tall enough to do overhead press (unless you're under 5'5") but it has full length catchers and is rated at over 350kg. Plus you can buy pulley accessories and so on.

The only think I may do is put some ground anchors on, but other than that it's been impeccable. The pull up attachment is great too.

Soldato
Was toying with the idea of getting the lat/low pulley attachment for my CF375 power rack yesterday. Ran the idea past the missus, £127/new at the moment, she was cool with it.

Pop on ebay, see someone selling CF375 cage and pulley for £175, offer £60 for pulley, job done, picking it up tomorrow, 20 miles up the road.

One thing that's been really hard with a home setup so far was the lack of rowing movements outside of BOR and 1 arm rows. This pulley adds a world of new exercises, it's face pull time :D

Back
Top Bottom