BT and OpenReach - The Divorce

Soldato
Are we going to be able to contact Openreach directly?

I can't get fibre as my record on the BT wholesale database is wrong (says I am on the wrong cabinet) and I don't seem to be able to do anything about it as I'm told it's Openreach who deal with that :mad:

Soldato
Yet again we are shown the pointlessness and toothlessnesss of these 'Of' agencies, set up by the politicians to give the impression to us uneducated plebs that they actually gave a dam.
This does not go all the way and BT has still been given an out as all they have to do is give the impression that they are going to do something about issues raised. They do not actually have to do anything just make out that they are looking into the issues.
Another cop out by Ofcom.

Soldato
personally don't see why its being split up,

Imo its government meddling in the affairs of a business,

should have never have been sold off in the first place with the infrastructure but you cant just go carving up companies because they are successful.

personally speaking if sky and talk talk virgin media or who ever want to compete then fine let them, but let them build their own networks to compete in the way VM and its legacy firms has

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Are we going to be able to contact Openreach directly?

I can't get fibre as my record on the BT wholesale database is wrong (says I am on the wrong cabinet) and I don't seem to be able to do anything about it as I'm told it's Openreach who deal with that :mad:

Contact Andrew at Thinkbroadband. He sorted this for me :)

Associate
personally don't see why its being split up,

Imo its government meddling in the affairs of a business,

should have never have been sold off in the first place with the infrastructure but you cant just go carving up companies because they are successful.

personally speaking if sky and talk talk virgin media or who ever want to compete then fine let them, but let them build their own networks to compete in the way VM and its legacy firms has

that would be insane though, there would be zero competition, because the goverment funded the lay of all this infrastructure, then (insanely) sold off the infrastructure when it privatised the 'commercial' business

Soldato
This is so infuriating. In my experience of having bought a new home, every time you call BT and say they need to do something, or something hasn't been done properly etc, they blame it on Openreach. Customers aren't supposed to be able to contact Openreach, but you can so I did. They then blamed it on BT and told me I wasn't supposed to call them...who the hell are you supposed to call then?

And throughout this they repeat their mantra "BT and Openreach are not part of the same company." Evidently not true.

**** both of them!

Soldato
Having dealt with OpenReach issues through 3rd party companies many times, i'm glad this is happening.

Hopefully this will improve services and get a full split in the future, but only time will tell.

Soldato
I live in a brand new estate in a London suburb. Surrounded by fibre....

New estate doesn't have fibre. It's 2016 and imo new builds should have FTTP but not even FTTC is pretty unforgiving.

Every time I enquire as to when it's a different reason. I am even connected to a fibre enabled cabinet.

Last week I listened to the Chancellor go on about 300Mb internet across the UK and 5g. I can't even get a reliable 8mb connection on the outskirts of London.

Soldato
"The regulator said it was preparing a formal notification to the European Commission to start the separation process."

Just hold out a bit, then tell Ofcom to do one. Sky and TalkTalk have been pushing for this as well. Wonder why ;)

Soldato
Will be interesting to see what changes this brings :)

If it's a brand new estate then surely thats the developers fault?
FTTP? You paying? :p
I'm still waiting for my "within 4 months" to be completed lol

Looks like the following site is a reply to the requests of Ofcom

http://www.btplc.com/ukdigitalfuture/index.htm

It's a blame game between everyone. (From the developers) The developers were told that the houses would have fibre. So didn't question BT Openreach. Once people started to move in it become apparent that only a select few could. Ones that were near existing roads...

It's 2016 FTTP should be pretty standard on new builds imo. We keep talking a good game about wanting to be the best in the connecting world. Should step up.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see what changes this brings :)

If it's a brand new estate then surely thats the developers fault?
FTTP? You paying? :p
I'm still waiting for my "within 4 months" to be completed lol

Looks like the following site is a reply to the requests of Ofcom

http://www.btplc.com/ukdigitalfuture/index.htm

The cost difference in putting in FTTC and FTTP in a brand new build is negligible.

It's just penny pinching from the developers, they spec it and get it installed.

The only way FTTP will become common place is if every council forces it in the planning applications or by legislation. Should have been done years ago but unfortunately those that have the power don't really know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom