Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Where is this that they're setting on fire? Why would it be special?

I have always run mine in this configuration, obviously its still anecdotal, but im sure this is pretty much the norm.

Theres this post on here

And i've seen it mentioned quite a bit on reddit and in amazon reviews for the adapters

Soldato
Theres this post on here

And i've seen it mentioned quite a bit on reddit and in amazon reviews for the adapters

You're talking about the cable itself - there are a lot more of them cables in the wild than HP Microservers - there is a much higher chance of seeing reports of incidents like this online but they will be a much smaller % of online posts.

If you are unsure, test them for excessive resistance, or figure out a way to stress test them... get an old computer, old HDD (more power the better) and benchmark it. If you have a used cable from someone else, you are over the "manufacturing defects" of the bathtub curve.

And saying they set on fire is a bit disingenuous, realistically it just melts some stuff, actually making your computer go up in flames is even less likely.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Those of you that have more than the 4 HDDs in your microservers.

I got an N54L with 4 HDDs and an SSD and i'm using a Molex to Sata power adapter for the SSD but seen it mentioned more and more lately that they can cause fires.

How are you powering the extra HDD(s)?

i have 6x HDD and 2x SSD in a 54L

using this power adapter from auction site: 191502047583

everything works fine

Associate
i have 6x HDD and 2x SSD in a 54L

using this power adapter from auction site: 191502047583

everything works fine

That kind of leads me to my next query.

I want to do something similar. I've seen a 4 x 2.5" to 5.25 bay enclosure I was considering buying.

How are you mounting the additional drives? And are you using a PCIe sata card or thing else?

Soldato
That kind of leads me to my next query.

I want to do something similar. I've seen a 4 x 2.5" to 5.25 bay enclosure I was considering buying.

How are you mounting the additional drives? And are you using a PCIe sata card or thing else?

4x drives in the bay slots

2x HDDs in the 5.25" slot using "Nexus Double Twin" ( a bracket that holds 2 drives together and slots in to a 5.25" gap) not sure if you can still buy these any more though

2x SSD fit nicely under the 5.25" (just slot in by the drive power cables)

using a PCi expansion card to add 2x more SATA (Highpoint Rocket 620 (R620) 2 channel Internal PCI-e £29.99), this works straight out of the box with no issues and also comes with a half height bracket and cables

of course you will need to flash the N54L with the modified Bios to enable full speed on the onboard SATA port

Associate
Have my gen8 on order! :)

Going to be using it for Plex, fileshares and a backup solution for the family serving a Raspberry Pi, 2 Android phones, an Android tablet, Windows tablet and Windows laptop.

Current plan is to cram in as many hard drives of acceptable size that I can find until I can afford a new set of decent drives and boot off the ODD data connector (provided I can get it to work).

I've got this RAM, Kingston HyperX RED Limited Edition 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (KHX1600C9D3B1RK28GX), sat in my retired desktop machine. Would anyone know if this would work in the server? I don't expect the server to be working that hard, only 2 people using it over 6 devices (so max of 2 at any one time!) and Plex will likely be streaming direct play for most things, so it's not really worth shelling out for extra RAM given the current prices (that 8GB kit cost me £35 several years ago, an equivalent kit today is closer to £60!).

Finally, what OS would people recommend? What benefit would I get running a server OS over desktop? My boss is running Ubuntu desktop on his gen7, but would windows 10 be a sensible option (thinking native windows filesharing and RDP for remote would be really useful). Essentially I want the OS to be nice and lightweight, but also something I can easily configure and whilst I'm learning Linux (nearly 5 years of tinkering with raspberry Pis!) I still have to look up most of the things I want to do and am completely stuck if they don't work.

Yay for questions \o/

Associate
2x SSD fit nicely under the 5.25" (just slot in by the drive power cables)

So the SSDs aren't in a caddy at all? Just put under the 5.25"? Are they secure there?

of course you will need to flash the N54L with the modified Bios to enable full speed on the onboard SATA port

Hopefully last question for now ;) but could you link me to the modified BIOS you used? Been thinking about doing it for a while but not been brave enough yet.

Soldato
So the SSDs aren't in a caddy at all? Just put under the 5.25"? Are they secure there?

Hopefully last question for now ;) but could you link me to the modified BIOS you used? Been thinking about doing it for a while but not been brave enough yet.

Yep fit under the 5.25" wedged in and very secure

Will PM you a link to bios (not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to another forum)

Soldato
Anyone interested in a set of Schoondoggy brackets for extra HDDs in a Gen8 microserver? I've inherited them from a friend who has emigrated and held off selling them so far due to lack of any idea what they are worth. Do people still add more HDDs to Gen8s?

Soldato
I added drives to my server, had 4x3.5's in the main bays then 2 SSD's on the SDM.
The SSD's were ran from the onboard B120 then the 4 data drives from the P222 card I had..

The only reason I did a custom build in the end was down to the 16GB RAM limitation on the Gen8, everything is moved over now and just need to sell the Gen8 and the Gen 7 I have and thats me out of the HP Microserver game...

Don
I see the ML10 is on offer for £105 after cashback :)

Saw that earlier as well - tempted although assume it is "normal" tower size dimensions.

Any hints about a G10 microserver being released?

I'm in the market for a NAS or Microserver but budget is pretty tight - Ideally want a 4 bay NAS (4 bay Synology would be perfect except for price), with it being my main storage of important stuff (then backed up to a single drive in my PC as well as portable hard drive and some form of cloud for offsite).

Are G7 Microservers still viable? (e.g. if I pick up a cheap used one as a starting point)

Thinking of running xpenology on one - aside from the issues with upgrading to newer versions (which I assume isn't much of an issue, as long as I'm not opening it up to the web etc), is it suitable for storing important documents etc or should I be looking at something else e.g. Openmediavault?

Associate
Are G7 Microservers still viable? (e.g. if I pick up a cheap used one as a starting point)

Thinking of running xpenology on one - aside from the issues with upgrading to newer versions (which I assume isn't much of an issue, as long as I'm not opening it up to the web etc), is it suitable for storing important documents etc or should I be looking at something else e.g. Openmediavault?

I have a Gen7 running Xpenology with 6 drives with my important data on it.With an external backup drive above it synced weekly and finally cloud backup too.

Does everything i need it to do easily.Would get another on the cheap if i came into more drives.Thumbs up from me

Back
Top Bottom