How much is your water bill?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I will try and hunt down my Southern Water bill, because the way it read to me, suggested they were charging me less for consumed water and more for the waste water. But I could be and probably am mistaken.;)

They could well be charging a different rate, but you'll probably note that the quantity is the same as metered on your supply pipe :)

Associate
I'm with Thames Water. £32/month on rates; 3 bed house.

The last place I rented was also Thames Water, similar sized property but newer & on a meter. Paid when due & averaged out around £23/month.

Caporegime
No meters in Scotland. It gets paid along with your council tax and it's based entirely on your Council Tax Band.

So it's best to use as much as you can. We have plenty of fresh flowing drinkable water from the Highlands. No need for filters, etc and our washing machines don't suffer from clogging up with gunk either.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
No meters in Scotland. It gets paid along with your council tax and it's based entirely on your Council Tax Band.

So it's best to use as much as you can. We have plenty of fresh flowing drinkable water from the Highlands. No need for filters, etc and our washing machines don't suffer from clogging up with gunk either.
Are your rates reasonable, though? Unmetered rates in England are vastly overestimated and are almost always far in excess of a metered supply.

Soldato
Mine is really variable. I pay every six months, the peaks are £250 and the lows are £150. I expect my bills will lower once my wife goes back to work at the end of this month (she's on the tail end of her maternity leave).

Caporegime
Are your rates reasonable, though? Unmetered rates in England are vastly overestimated and are almost always far in excess of a metered supply.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17021

Band A is £130 a year
Band H is £392 a year

there is a Waste Water (Sewerage charge) on top though unsure if you want to include that or how that works in England.

Band D is £196 a year (middle band)

seems reasonable enough to me.

That is Glasgow rates. I imagine they are one of the highest in Scotland apart from areas like Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=17021

Band A is £130 a year
Band H is £392 a year

there is a Waste Water (Sewerage charge) on top though unsure if you want to include that or how that works in England.

Band D is £196 a year (middle band)

seems reasonable enough to me.

That is Glasgow rates. I imagine they are one of the highest in Scotland apart from areas like Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

When people discuss bills in England they will be including their waste water services too as it always comes bundled on the same bill :)

I think you'd find yourself better off (not that you have a choice by the sounds of it!) on a metered connection. For reference in a fairly large house with 3 of us, stay at home mum, we pay approx £300/year all inclusive on a meter. I'd say we are fairly wasteful and we wash cars etc.

Man of Honour
Far too much, around £60 a month IIRC.

I think it's time to discuss with the house mates about getting a meter although with a baby in the house and therefore a washing machine that seems to see more action than Dot's in Eastenders I'm not sure if we'll make a saving.

Caporegime
When people discuss bills in England they will be including their waste water services too as it always comes bundled on the same bill :)

I think you'd find yourself better off (not that you have a choice by the sounds of it!) on a metered connection. For reference in a fairly large house with 3 of us, stay at home mum, we pay approx £300/year all inclusive on a meter. I'd say we are fairly wasteful and we wash cars etc.

You are correct. We don't have a choice. You pay the rate that your council tax falls into and it's paid along with your council tax and then your local council passes it on to Scottish Water.

It is what it is and there is nothing you can really do to change it. So I may as well use as much water as I can then. May start washing the windows when I do the car, etc.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Other than the council collecting it, that is basically how rates work in England, too :)

Get that garden sprinkler going!

Caporegime
Other than the council collecting it, that is basically how rates work in England, too :)

Get that garden sprinkler going!

You have never been to Scotland then I take it? It rains 300 days per year here. No need to water the garden ever it's usually soaking. People go mad and take their tops off when it hits 14C and you get to see the Sun in between the clouds of rain.

Back
Top Bottom