Poll: WOULD OcUK MEMBERS LIKE TO SEE MORE PRODUCT VIDEO's BUT DONE BY NERDPHILIA

Would you like to see products tested, reviews and how to by Nerdphilia

• Yes

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • No

Votes: 133 83.1%

• Total voters
Soldato
If OCUK want to get into doing video reviews wouldn't it make sense to employ someone new on site to do these and build your own fanbase up etc.

Would make for quicker videos / reviews on items as you wouldn't need to ship them off somewhere.

I think the idea is to have access to a ready made fan base

I don't see how looks should even come in to it or a topic of discussion... she should be judged ENTIRELY on content, nothing else matters unless you're a teenage boy. If it did, Gamers Nexus wouldn't have even got off the ground, but I find his videos a million times more watchable and informative.

very true - but it's the world we live in sadly and it shows particularly with the nerdphilia girl - a shed load of followers/views (or whatever they are judged on) yet apparently reviews aren't that great. so why are they so popular? I'd suggest its the pretty face (if she's your type) and cleavage shots. sex sells and all that

Caporegime
Prefer LinusTechTips.
He is even worse... A complete sellout and is just used as companies PR/marketing boy now.

As I said in the other thread:

Sad state of affairs these days when it comes to so called "reviews", you can't trust most of the sponsored sites/youtubers out there. It's not surprising to see most sponsored youtube channels just reading out the spec list and essentially "marketing" provided sample products rather than actually, you know.... "reviewing" the products. If they slate a product, goodbye free stuff, some big channels can get away with the occasional negative review although only ever seems to be for the lesser known brands and not their supply chain of the higher quality brands...

It is a shame that people who can actually do well written up or even video reviews don't get the same level of attention as all these hot gamer girls, heck they don't even have to jump through all the hoops of trying to get samples for review purposes i.e. making the effort to contact PR companies through phone, email, social sites etc., the The marketing companies/PR people just throw themselves at them. PCM2 has to go through a lot of hassle just to get some monitors from certain companies i.e. LG for his pcmonitor.info review site and his reviews are far superior than any youtube paid off/PR rubbish out there and the funniest thing is, he doesn't even get to keep most of the monitors despite his reviews being of great quality and actually requiring a lot more effort than a 5 minute read the spec list video...

Last edited:
Soldato
He is even worse... A complete sellout and is just used as companies PR/marketing boy now.

As I said in the other thread:

Sad state of affairs these days when it comes to so called "reviews", you can't trust most of the sponsored sites/youtubers out there. It's not surprising to see most sponsored youtube channels just reading out the spec list and essentially "marketing" provided sample products rather than actually, you know.... "reviewing" the products.

It is a shame that people who can actually do well written up or even video reviews don't get the same level of attention as all these hot gamer girls, heck they don't even have to jump through all the hoops of trying to get samples for review purposes i.e. making the effort to contact PR companies through phone, email, social sites etc. The marketing companies/PR people just throw themselves at them.

Any links to sponsored reviews by LTT? AFAIK (and seen) they state it is a sponsored review if it is, and on any of the other reviews they don't really hold back even if the product is rubbish and the manufacturer sent it for free to them. They even made a video stating that and they've critisized products on the channel before.

I agree that people properly reviewing stuff don't get seen as much but that is how it is, I mean as mentioned the video in the thread only has as many (well doesn't seem to many I haven't checked) because it's a girl and shes in PC/gaming (ooooooooooooooooooooooooo every techy's dream woman) and she does sort of pander to it (a little kiss at the end of the video? cmon), although I guess she is saying the video is her vlog so maybe not so bad but meh, I'm definitely not watching this as I won't be watching TastyTV.

I'll get my proper reviews from an article webpage and if I need to see more of a product that might have not been shown in the detailed written reviews, I'll take a look at a video one.

Caporegime
Any links to sponsored reviews by LTT? AFAIK (and seen) they state it is a sponsored review if it is, and on any of the other reviews they don't really hold back even if the product is rubbish and the manufacturer sent it for free to them. They even made a video stating that and they've critisized products on the channel before.

I agree that people properly reviewing stuff don't get seen as much but that is how it is, I mean as mentioned the video in the thread only has as many (well doesn't seem to many I haven't checked) because it's a girl and shes in PC/gaming (ooooooooooooooooooooooooo every techy's dream woman) and she does sort of pander to it (a little kiss at the end of the video? cmon), although I guess she is saying the video is her vlog so maybe not so bad but meh, I'm definitely not watching this as I won't be watching TastyTV.

I'll get my proper reviews from an article webpage and if I need to see more of a product that might have not been shown in the detailed written reviews, I'll take a look at a video one.
I haven't watched any of his videos for a long time now so won't be able to link videos but I know for example, LG send him pretty much every single tech. product they have, heck they even sent him a birthday cake :p :o He never specifically mentions that it is a "sponsored" video though, only ever says "LG kindly sent this" or something along those lines.

The last video I saw where he trashed the product was a review for the microboard 34" monitor and by the sounds of it, it was sent to him for free as the supplier contacted him and said to "take a look at this" but he never specifically mentioned if it was sponsored/supplied for free nor put it in his description box...

Also, with the constant ads at the start of his videos as well as middle/end of the video promoting something else, I just can't take him seriously now.

Likewise, I will always take written reviews from the likes of anandtech over a 5 minute PR piece on youtube.

In fact, just having a look at my youtube sub list and I am only subscribed to one tech reviewer... MKBHD.

Soldato
I haven't watched any of his videos for a long time now so won't be able to link videos but I know for example, LG send him pretty much every single tech. product they have, heck they even sent him a birthday cake :p :o He never specifically mentions that it is a "sponsored" video though, only ever says "LG kindly sent this" or something along those lines.

The last video I saw where he trashed the product was a review for the microboard 34" monitor and by the sounds of it, it was sent to him for free as the supplier contacted him and said to "take a look at this" but he never specifically mentioned if it was sponsored/supplied for free nor put it in his description box...

Also, with the constant ads at the start of his videos as well as middle/end of the video promoting something else, I just can't take him seriously now.

Likewise, I will always take written reviews from the likes of anandtech over a 5 minute PR piece on youtube.

In fact, just having a look at my youtube sub list and I am only subscribed to one tech reviewer... MKBHD.

You're being a bit harsh actually. Linus Tech Tips are great. They do things over there a bit different then they do here with adds. I have a mate that works for them and at first I thought like you do. Linus I'm told is a great guy and doesn't give in to advertisers like some other so call reviews do.

Caporegime
You're being a bit harsh actually. Linus Tech Tips are great. They do things over there a bit different then they do here with adds. I have a mate that works for them and at first I thought like you do. Linus I'm told is a great guy and doesn't give in to advertisers like some other so call reviews do.
Maybe... :p

Their "DIY/projects" videos are great but for reviews, it just comes across to me like a PR machine, reading out a spec list with only a few of their own thoughts thrown into the mix.

For reviews, anandtech have set the bar imo, especially for phone reviews, even more so when Brian Klug was doing them.

Soldato

I'll go have a look at the older LG videos. I know they send/have sent stuff to him but he does criticise where it falls short or could improve. I do agree with you about the ads, but that's how they generate their revenue and I never think that just because they advertise something it must be good, I know its just an ad and I skip it. Some are OK (Tunnelbear was useful sometimes).

I don't think he or his company are a shill for NVIDIA/Intel and yeah I watch the videos for entertainment mostly.

Sgarrista
Commissario
If you want my honest opinion, I would rather see reviews done by someone who is just a general "end user" with a good production value (quality audio and visuals, some general but not overly specific details, and an unbiased opinion).

Its like when you see a pro racing driver give his review on a new tyre, great, if you're a pro racing driver, but how does that compare to someone who may just be a fast street driver instead.

Chris Harris' reviews are always a great benchmark of getting it spot on.

Soldato
No, we would like to see Ryzen CPUs listed for pre-order
Are they allowed to do that even, what if they cant get them for a month or cant say yet

What is the demographic for OCUK I dont know. She appeals to teenagers I imagine, very pretty and I like when she was swearing in swedish or whatever, pc build can be frustrating.
Didnt learn anything, flashy lights but I dont especially care about that and I didnt hear any details really. My motherboard lights are linked to bass mostly, so it can act like muzzle flare in a dark room which can be cool.
She got a mil views there, I doubt she'd fail to get views whatever people say on this thread but I didnt subscribe.
People hate adverts anyway, the most irritating ones being the most memorable so the whole scheme is counter-intuitive. I have seen her on yt before and you have to have something unique really so nope

Last edited:
Associate
Never watched her till now and she is so annoying so its a NO from me.
Talks to fast, pic quality is poor audio is lacking.
But then I am not a youngster so not swayed by her mildly nice looks.
Some people are just right for youtube and some just plain suck.

Last edited:
Associate
I'll go have a look at the older LG videos. I know they send/have sent stuff to him but he does criticise where it falls short or could improve. I do agree with you about the ads, but that's how they generate their revenue and I never think that just because they advertise something it must be good, I know its just an ad and I skip it. Some are OK (Tunnelbear was useful sometimes).

I don't think he or his company are a shill for NVIDIA/Intel and yeah I watch the videos for entertainment mostly.

My problem with LTT is blatant lack of any research and terrible testing methodology. Check out the GPU backplate video from this week for example. A lot of YouTubers are influencers, not reviewers.

Back
Top Bottom