Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Soldato
Is the Valhalla 2 and modi multi a better fit for the 650's than the jotty?
If you love a warmth representation of the music that you listen to then yes.

If you like a realistic yet energetic representation then go for jotty.

Personally I went for Jotty, because it's offers balanced output and a neutral amplification.

On a side note to everyone.... Down to the LAST unit of Jotty!

Associate
OP
Is the Valhalla 2 and modi multi a better fit for the 650's than the jotty?
Depends on your preference. Both have the typical Schiit sound, lean, mean and a bit aggressive. Valhalla 2 has better depth, spaciousness while the Jot has more immediacy, speed. Bass on the Jot is much more defined, hits harder, cleaner and tighter. I didn't find either particularly warm. Both are about on par for detail.

The Jot has a metallic, treble that bothered me but it's an improvement over the Magni models! overall the Jot is an end game amp at a good price and I've been tempted to order one for a while but I'm going to see if there's an Asgard 3 as the seem to do treble better than their other amps a long with the Vali 2.

The Jot is a really fun amp!

Soldato
Depends on your preference. Both have the typical Schiit sound, lean, mean and a bit aggressive. Valhalla 2 has better depth, spaciousness while the Jot has more immediacy, speed. Bass on the Jot is much more defined, hits harder, cleaner and tighter. I didn't find either particularly warm. Both are about on par for detail.

The Jot has a metallic, treble that bothered me but it's an improvement over the Magni models! overall the Jot is an end game amp at a good price and I've been tempted to order one for a while but I'm going to see if there's an Asgard 3 as the seem to do treble better than their other amps a long with the Vali 2.

The Jot is a really fun amp!
I'm considering (your) vali to a vali 2. Can you do the thing with the words where you compare them?

Associate
Still enjoying my HD650s with my Little Dot MKII and Mullard M8100/CV4010 tubes, my first tube amp and quite an revelation!

Has anyone got/had a LDII and also a Schiit Valhala 2? Would the Schiit be a good upgrade or is there alternative around the same price?

Associate
OP
I'm considering (your) vali to a vali 2. Can you do the thing with the words where you compare them?
Sorry for late reply I don't check forums as much, been addicted to Ark on PS4 LOL

The Vali 2 is a bit cleaner, more spacious resolving and has a bit more of a laid back sound. I find the original Vali more musical, more involving. It's probably the most fun amp I've tried along with the Bottle Head Crack for the HD650. The Vali 2 is the better headphone amp technically but if I see another Vali 1 I'd snap it up asap.

The Vali 2 is reoslving musical and engaging amp though, I just find the original Vali pretty special in regards to fun. The Vali 1 has a roughness to it's treble although not as bad as the Magni. Vali 2 has one of the best treble I've heard from Schiit, prob the best.

Soldato
Sorry for late reply I don't check forums as much, been addicted to Ark on PS4 LOL

The Vali 2 is a bit cleaner, more spacious resolving and has a bit more of a laid back sound. I find the original Vali more musical, more involving. It's probably the most fun amp I've tried along with the Bottle Head Crack for the HD650. The Vali 2 is the better headphone amp technically but if I see another Vali 1 I'd snap it up asap.

The Vali 2 is reoslving musical and engaging amp though, I just find the original Vali pretty special in regards to fun. The Vali 1 has a roughness to it's treble although not as bad as the Magni. Vali 2 has one of the best treble I've heard from Schiit, prob the best.
Well I am in no rush at the moment!

Sounds like something that I will need to try to decide. I like the fun-ness of the Vali 1 but the treble of the vali 2 is alluring. I'll see if I can find one cheap.

Associate
My first "real" pair of headphones came yesterday... quite underwhelmed really. Am upgrading from a Sennheiser PC360 and although I can definitely hear the highs are clearer (slightly) but seems to lack bass. There just doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

Am aware audiophiles will say I'll need more than a week to adjust but I'm a bit skeptical atm.

Running it from a Xonar Essence STX and am considering a MODI 2 with either a Magni 2, Valhalla 2 or just the Jotty. Any advice? I do like the sound it's giving off atm but then I do read that the Valhalla isn't your typical warm tube.

Man of Honour
Is that directly off the STX? IMO most if not all soundcards can't deliver the peak to peak voltage required to bring the 600 series to life - needs something with a minimum of +/- 9 volt rails IMO and around 12 volt better.

Otherwise the bass collapses or becomes poorly controlled and treble becomes bland.

EDIT: If you really want to hear what the 650s are capable of you need a balanced output amp with active ground :D I'm still blown away how much better they sound driven this way compared to something like an O2 or your average tube amp, etc.

Last edited:
My first "real" pair of headphones came yesterday... quite underwhelmed really. Am upgrading from a Sennheiser PC360 and although I can definitely hear the highs are clearer (slightly) but seems to lack bass. There just doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

Am aware audiophiles will say I'll need more than a week to adjust but I'm a bit skeptical atm.

Running it from a Xonar Essence STX and am considering a MODI 2 with either a Magni 2, Valhalla 2 or just the Jotty. Any advice? I do like the sound it's giving off atm but then I do read that the Valhalla isn't your typical warm tube.

Not sure I'm the best to person to answer this after my last thread :o, I don't really consider myself an audiophile but something I will say for a fact is when it comes to headphones it really does take a while to adjust to the new sound signature, hand on heart, and a week is genuinely a good amount of time, just forget about your old headphones for now, just accept the new ones as they are for the week, then put the old ones and report back ;), I remember years ago when I first upgraded to my B&W speakers from cheap pair of floor standers, I was looking for the bass under the sofa, couldn't find it, but in the end grew to love their refinement and more apparent mid-range, now all these years later I find then too bassy and am looking for something with more clarity and tighter bass! :p

Associate
Is that directly off the STX? IMO most if not all soundcards can't deliver the peak to peak voltage required to bring the 600 series to life - needs something with a minimum of +/- 9 volt rails IMO and around 12 volt better.

Otherwise the bass collapses or becomes poorly controlled and treble becomes bland.

EDIT: If you really want to hear what the 650s are capable of you need a balanced output amp with active ground :D I'm still blown away how much better they sound driven this way compared to something like an O2 or your average tube amp, etc.

Yeah directly off it and set to high gain, +12dB. I thought that but have read countless people say that the STX can drive these fine.

Not sure I'm the best to person to answer this after my last thread :o, I don't really consider myself an audiophile but something I will say for a fact is when it comes to headphones it really does take a while to adjust to the new sound signature, hand on heart, and a week is genuinely a good amount of time, just forget about your old headphones for now, just accept the new ones as they are for the week, then put the old ones and report back ;), I remember years ago when I first upgraded to my B&W speakers from cheap pair of floor standers, I was looking for the bass under the sofa, couldn't find it, but in the end grew to love their refinement and more apparent mid-range, now all these years later I find then too bassy and am looking for something with more clarity and tighter bass! :p

Yeah after finding it underwhelming I've got my PC360s stored away and will check them in a weeks time. You do make a point about the bass though, when I did put on my PC360s back on after a few hours yesterday the bass did seem it bit much with the lack of treble.

I have talked to Mark over at Schiit EU and he's fine with me purchasing a Magni and Valhalla to test for 2-3 weeks and can send them back if they're not suiting for me.

Man of Honour
Yeah directly off it and set to high gain, +12dB. I thought that but have read countless people say that the STX can drive these fine.

I'm no expert and not heard the 650s off the original STX that I recall - but I've built a ton of headphone amplifiers recently and tested a fair few different soundcards with my 600s and there is a massive difference between the results and I've not found a soundcard yet that driving them directly can truly bring the 600 series to life - sure they can get them loud but the driver control is just lacking. A decent high voltage tube amp or something like I've built recently with plenty of rail voltage/swing takes them to another level.

Soldato
Yep 650's are one of those headphones that just keep scaling

They do indeed. When I upgraded from the TEAC UD-H01 to the Marantz HD-DAC1 it was like having some new headphones. The bass really became tighter but more pronounced. They do need some good power to make them come alive. They are magic on this DAC. :D

Associate
Good to know guys. Just need to choose a DAC and Amp for it.

Want to go with either a Jotty or a Modi 2 Multibit with a Valhalla 2 or Magni 2 Uber. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Associate
Thought I'd update. Running the Magni 2 and sound has definitely improved, bass does not seem to be lacking, just right imo.

I've got the Valhalla 2 powered next to me to warm up the tubes and I don't know if I can keep this from the heat alone. The room it's in is boiling whereas the rest of the house is cold. I'll die in summer with this on.

Back
Top Bottom