• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

THE FASTEST GTX 1080TI's: Zotac, Inno3D, Aorus & ASUS!!!

Soldato
how i see it,
is it expensive? Yes
Will i use it Everyday - Yes?
Do i enjoy it? Yes
Can i get money for my 1080 to offset? - yes

now put in random household object
Washing machine/cooker/Tumbledryer (Good one)
Is it Expensive - Yes
Will i use it Everyday? No
Do i Enjoy it? No
Can i get money once i upgrade? Unlikely.

Associate
At least one of these prices is higher than another UK supplier. If I understand correctly, OCUK are known to put their prices up from a (lower) starting point. They don't remove products, they just use a supply/demand scale to help set prices. Those that got in first would get the best prices.

Caporegime
how i see it,
is it expensive? Yes
Do i enjoy it? Yes

Is it Expensive - Yes
Do i Enjoy it? No

True, you'd just be a smelly hungry tramp but a happy one ;) :D

Associate
how i see it,
is it expensive? Yes
Do i enjoy it? Yes

Is it Expensive - Yes
Do i Enjoy it? No

Not a great comparison. Washing clothes isn't really considered a hobby and washing machines are standard household kit. If it came down to it I'd sacrifice my graphics card in favour of my washing machine, despite not really getting any enjoyment from it.

Soldato
True, you'd just be a smelly hungry tramp but a happy one ;) :D
true but my point still stands, you could exchange almost anything

Now days people buy stuff like Coffee manchines or Special Toasters and go Its not Expensive. etc etc but Graphics cards are.... but if you don't use it then it is expensive.

Soldato
Not a great comparison. Washing clothes isn't really considered a hobby and washing machines are standard household kit. If it came down to it I'd sacrifice my graphics card in favour of my washing machine, despite not really getting any enjoyment from it.

my point was people say things are expensive but don't use them as much as a X object
you could buy a £100 TV & a £500 graphics card

but if you don't use the TV the TV is more expensive

Soldato
The thing is, you could spend £400 on a toaster and 5-6 years down the line it is still a viable household appliance. You will still be using it to toast your bread. You could say the same about an expensive washing machine.

Less than a year from now the 1080ti will be replaced with something more powerful and the price will drop to less than half of it's current value. Will it still work? Sure. But will it still be fit for purpose? Maybe not so much when you compare it to something which is much more powerful and power efficient.

No matter how you dress the thing up £800+ for a single GPU is terrible value for money. It doesn't need to be available to the public to know it's just another Nvidia GPU with the same marketing and planned obsolescence as the previous gen.

In comparison to most other electrical appliances or really any other PC component, I can't think of anything which depreciates in value as quickly as GPUs do.

Last edited:
Soldato
miss my uni days for justifying top end cards in SLi form. as mentioned above its gets outdated with games, cant run as faster frame rates, highest setting- but with rendering, it takes the same amount of render time , never loses time. New cards only gain you time, nothing more :D

my reasoning for Ti being great cards over the Titans, lost its way

but this is why we are pc gamers, sense goes out the window... hard tubes instead of safe and quick soft tubes. de-lidding CPUs ... :D

Associate
my point was people say things are expensive but don't use them as much as a X object
you could buy a £100 TV & a £500 graphics card

but if you don't use the TV the TV is more expensive

There's a social stigma attached to gaming, despite it moving more into the mainstream in recent years. Several people, when they've found out that I'm into it, have frowned in disgust, or made disparaging remarks. They view it as a waste of time, money and of life. A pathetic activity. I usually try to justify it to them in a similar way to you. I talk about people's various hobbies. Golfing with expensive clubs, tennis with carbon fiber rackets, expensive Persian rugs, etc. So I get what you are saying. I just don't think that washing machines is a good choice for it.

Soldato
The thing is, you could spend £400 on a toaster and 5-6 years down the line it is still a viable household appliance. You will still be using it to toast your bread. You could say the same about an expensive washing machine.

Less than a year from now the 1080ti will be replaced with something more powerful and the price will drop to less than half of it's current value. Will it still work? Sure. But will it still be fit for purpose? Maybe not so much when you compare it to something which is much more powerful and power efficient.

No matter how you dress the thing up £800+ for a single GPU is terrible value for money. It doesn't need to be available to the public to know it's just another Nvidia GPU with the same marketing and planned obsolescence as the previous gen.

In comparison to most other electrical appliances or really any other PC component, I can't think of anything which depreciates in value as quickly as GPUs do.

It's quite bad really and all things considered, they should really address their prices. However, they have biggest market share so that simply won't happen. Greedy **** ers!

Soldato
It's quite bad really and all things considered, they should really address their prices. However, they have biggest market share so that simply won't happen. Greedy **** ers!

Thinking about it from the environmental side of things too, while Nvidia seem to making improvements (link is now outdated) http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/gcr-environment.html it seems utterly irresponsible to manufacture something with the intended lifespan we see.

Again, GPU's will still work long after their heyday but Nvidia know fine well 3 or so years down the line a GTX780 for example is likely to be no longer be fit for purpose, in comparison to recent standards.

As much as I like Nvidia products they really are a shower of absolute *******'s in regards to business practice. Just like Apple really.

Unless the enthusiast market are willing to acknowledge and boycott Nvidia on mass - which is unlikely, things aren't going to change anytime soon.

Soldato
Thinking about it from the environmental side of things too, while Nvidia seem to making improvements (link is now outdated) http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/gcr-environment.html it seems utterly irresponsible to manufacture something with the intended lifespan we see.

Again, GPU's will still work long after their heyday but Nvidia know fine well 3 or so years down the line a GTX780 for example is likely to be no longer be fit for purpose, in comparison to recent standards.

As much as I like Nvidia products they really are a shower of absolute *******'s in regards to business practice. Just like Apple really.

Unless the enthusiast market are willing to acknowledge and boycott Nvidia on mass - which is unlikely, things aren't going to change anytime soon.

so what your saying is that nvidia/AMD need to make a GPU that lasts 10 years thats still fit for purpose? surely that down to developers too?

Associate
REMOVED! NO COMPETITOR TALK ON OcUK FORUM!

sorry i didnt know i was breaking rules.

do you have an eta on shipping for the gigabyte 1080 ti extreme?

Last edited:
Soldato
so what your saying is that nvidia/AMD need to make a GPU that lasts 10 years thats still fit for purpose? surely that down to developers too?

I'm not saying that, I don't think every 10 years would be enough to keep up with the development of other technology.

What would be nice would be a standardised PCB design to allow drop in upgrades. Is there any reason why the GPU core couldn't be socketed or the VRAM couldn't use a socket. It would cut out a lot of waste + troubleshooting and replacing parts would be so much easier. Especially in comparison to sending back the full card as a result of one faulty component. Sometimes something as simple as a fan bearing going means waiting weeks to get a replacement. Seems a bit needless really..

Or maybe a mail in scheme for old hardware. Nvidia take your old card back, are obliged to recycle what they can and issue a discount voucher on a new card.

One thing for sure, corporate giants showing the extreme side of capitalism such as Nvidia should be given a much tougher time as opposed to complatent fan boyism we know so well as enthusiasts.

The 3.5GB 970 was the perfect example. Nvidia were busted and what do OCD enthusiasts do, upgrade to a 980 instead xD

If people weren't so frighteningly daft "it's my money and I'll choose how I'll spend it" the famous line to undermine everything, this could be a good laugh for everyone at Nvidia's expense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom