• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte G1 or XFX RS Edition RX 480?

Soldato
I'm considering the two above cards from OcUK, as they will fit in my case. Longer cards will not :(

Gigabyte G1
XFX RS Edition

I'm aware of some issues with RX 480 cards not holding their full speeds and performance suffering as a result. This LAN OC review shows that the Gigabyte card consumes less power and that it's cooler can tame the RX 480 chip better at full speed.

What do you think would be the better bet?

Soldato
I'm considering the two above cards from OcUK, as they will fit in my case. Longer cards will not :(

Gigabyte G1
XFX RS Edition

I'm aware of some issues with RX 480 cards not holding their full speeds and performance suffering as a result. This LAN OC review shows that the Gigabyte card consumes less power and that it's cooler can tame the RX 480 chip better at full speed.

What do you think would be the better bet?

@Gibbo said jes dropping the price of the G1 to £209 I believe which makes it the same price as 4GB models. V.good deal

G1 cooler also does the VRM so as a whole little bit more hotter. I replaced paste with grizzlie

Soldato
OP
Yeah they are both £210 now. I'm wondering whether waiting for an RX 580 might be a good thing to do, but it looks like they will be roughly 25% more expensive.

Soldato
Is it a better card than the XFX though!? I'd like to avoid throttling and just have a card that runs solidly at the advertised speed over hours of gaming.

Mine didn't, customer loved it and built a few more based around it, although cooler was a once off

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/budget-build-ensco-100.18760721/page-2

Didn't even bother with a fan profile or touching volts/over clocking . seems a clients son's gaming session lasts 5-7 hours... Must be a teenager haha

Only problem it had was Gigabyte going the complete opposite to everyone else like MSI and EVGA and having RAM, VRM and Chip all actively cooled under the main heatsink, so was warmer then other cards due to it , twin fans were fine, just heatsink could have been longer like the 1060 .

You need to wait for 580 launch before doing anything. It's on the 18th so no long now.

Then see how the land lies.

Only problem with that , if it does drop in price as @Gibbo mentioned Miners will have it before you can think Old Gen is worth the Price over new gen

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Wow that is something else! Nicely done man.

Having spent time researching last night, the Gigabyte definitely looks the way to go. It has been supported with new BIOS updates and is the top of the line card from that manufacturer.

Associate
Just got the Gigabyte G1 to tide me over until I see what Vega is like.

Seems decent enough, can't feel any difference over my now dead 390, but it's a little bit quieter and it's the first graphics card I've had in ages without excessive amounts of coil whine (might just be lucky with this card).

Soldato
Just got the Gigabyte G1 to tide me over until I see what Vega is like.

Seems decent enough, can't feel any difference over my now dead 390, but it's a little bit quieter and it's the first graphics card I've had in ages without excessive amounts of coil whine (might just be lucky with this card).

Didn't have any with a Client build and that was using the cheap Kolink brand :)
Interested how you get on with OC and voltage as I never got to play with it

Wow that is something else! Nicely done man.

Having spent time researching last night, the Gigabyte definitely looks the way to go. It has been supported with new BIOS updates and is the top of the line card from that manufacturer.

Cooler is solid as I'm guessing you seen, just got a bad rep at the start due to cooling all three it should have been slightly bigger, hence now it looks like they've taken feed back in for the 500 series

Soldato
AMD pull a fast one and rebrand old cards and have a cheek to charge more for them, that's progress.
My theory on that would be it relates to vega release and they dont want to compete with their own product line on price. The real settled price after launch vs demand will be something else and of course also relys on our exchange rate to dollar.

My old XFX card impressed me by lasting so well, glad I never sold it. At one time XFX had a lifetime warranty, I dont think thats there anymore but I think they make their cards to last

Soldato
AMD pull a fast one and rebrand old cards and have a cheek to charge more for them, that's progress.

Skylake /kaby lake? Lol I don't think you can blame AMD any more than you can blame Intel, or nvidia, or any profit making company lol!

What you choose to buy, that's on you.

Back
Top Bottom