The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Quantum Break. What an amazing story. When you look at what they tried to do with game - blending it with actual movie sequences - for me this was an absolute triumph. A brilliant, clever and unique experience I'll never forget. Yes it is poorly optimised and some of the time power controls I thought were a bit unresponsive at times but all that can be forgiven as the story is so gripping. Lapped up every minute of it. 9/10

Soldato
Uncharted 1 and 2. Brilliant although QTEs and some funny game mechanics ruined a few key moments and were frustrating for me.

8.5 for the first, 9 for the second.

Associate
Mass Effect: Andromeda 8/10

Fan of the series, not entirely bothered about most of the (very well publicised ) animation issues or bad VA work. Loved the exploration, loved that the main character (whichever sex you chose) is the anti-Shepard, loved the companions, loved the Nomad and thought the combat was superb.

Some of the planets were too big with vast areas of nothing. Far too many busywork quests that served no purpose - other than to pad the game - and some crazy design decisions that boggle the mind as to how they got through testing (having no direct access to Kadara and having to go through the port and the slums to get to the planet).

Loved it and eagerly hoping there will be a squeal.

Soldato
GTA V. What can I say that everyone doesn't all know... my first time ever playing through a GTA game - so so impressed with the variety and attention to detail. The real triumph is in the script, acting and characters though isn't it? The most remarkable thing for me is how endeared you become to what are essentially very evil human beings. Genuis. Couldn't fault the game in any way. 10/10. I have both L.A. Noire and Sleeping Dogs as 2 games that may be considered to be quite similar to play next - which one would you recommend playing first out of those two?

Last edited:
Soldato
GTA V. What can I say that everyone doesn't all know... my first time ever playing through a GTA game - so so impressed with the variety and attention to detail. The real triumph is in the script, acting and characters though isn't it? The most remarkable thing for me is how endeared you become to what are essentially very evil human beings. Genius. Couldn't fault the game in any way. 10/10. I have both L.A. Noire and Sleeping Dogs as 2 games that may be considered to be quite similar to play next - which one would you recommend playing first out of those two?

It doesn't really matter which one you pick up first as both are very solid games but L.A. Noire is the more unique experience IMO, it just oozes atmosphere and is less action-heavy so it might be a nice change of pace from GTA.
Having said that, Sleeping Dogs is also a very nice game with a great setting.

Soldato
ADR1FT - 5/10

Good game, let down by a poor story that isn't really that well laid out. I went through the game not knowing what had happened to the station, and was a little confused by the end. A lot of the 'communications' in the game are pretty easy to just completely miss as they're usually so far apart you don't have a clue what they're referring to.

The visuals are stunning though, I was playing via my Nvidia Shield and was blown away a few times by how great the game looked - if you like pretty space games, this is the one.

Audio was a bit meh! Easy to zone out during most of it, and the music was super loud in places where you couldn't even hear the transmissions. Plus some of the music flying around your headphones is a little odd - it's like its coming from behind then flys around the headset like it's something floating around the room quickly. Found it quite annoying.

I paid £7 for it and got about 3 hours gameplay so it's worth the money, story and music aside, I had a good time playing Adrift. I'd recommend it, but don't expect any real story.

Soldato
It doesn't really matter which one you pick up first as both are very solid games but L.A. Noire is the more unique experience IMO, it just oozes atmosphere and is less action-heavy so it might be a nice change of pace from GTA.
Having said that, Sleeping Dogs is also a very nice game with a great setting.

Thanks. Yeah I'm leaning towards LA Noire - I fancy something a bit different and set in that time period.

Soldato
Clive Barker's Undying (2001). What a find this game was! Really loving GOG.com now for picking up forgotten gems from the past. This game was so much fun - over 30 hours of horror based FPS action but never dull due to the gradual collection of weapons and spells you pick up as you progress through the game and the many combat combinations they provide. They sure don't make 'em like this anymore... 9/10. Was set up at the end for a sequel too - shame there never was one...

Soldato
^^ That was quite a creepy game.

Even today, I think from a visual perspective it holds up okay, all considered.

Yeah I thought the environments looked pretty good, loved the mansion - it's just the characters and in particular the faces that showed the games age. And it was quite creepy too although not as intense as the last few horror games I've played. I try to always have one horror game on the go so I need to decide my next one. I recently bought Obscure 1 & 2, Dreadout and the Penumbra series - given your excellent recommendation to try out Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, which was awesome (up until the sadly game ending bug on the ship anyway) - which out of those would you recommend trying next?

Caporegime
Yeah I thought the environments looked pretty good, loved the mansion - it's just the characters and in particular the faces that showed the games age. And it was quite creepy too although not as intense as the last few horror games I've played. I try to always have one horror game on the go so I need to decide my next one. I recently bought Obscure 1 & 2, Dreadout and the Penumbra series - given your excellent recommendation to try out Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, which was awesome (up until the sadly game ending bug on the ship anyway) - which out of those would you recommend trying next?

I'm glad you liked Call of Cthulu. Although it's far from being a polished release, I'd say it's one of the most disturbing games I've played.

Other titles that you may like are The Suffering; System Shock 2 + mods (which I think you've tried/played?); Resident Evil 4 (you've probably already played that as well but I had to mention it); Condemned: Criminal Origins; Silent Hill series; Outlast; Metro 2033/Last Light; Slender.

I've not heard of the 'Obscure' games or Dreadout. I'll have to check them out.

There's also Call of Pripyat with the Misery mod, though it is quite a challenging experience (very creepy, though). I've done a playthrough on my channel, but it's an earlier one and has poor production values/no commentary. Check out a more recent, higher quality series on the tube if it appeals to you.

The next update for Lost Alpha is also due for release very soon (this month, IIRC).

Last edited:
Soldato
I did try System Shock 2 but it was so incredibly difficult that I gave up after getting stuck - I was really enjoying it but there was certain part I tried over 30 times to get past and give up in frustration. I intend to go back to it and drop the difficulty down a bit and also do a bit of research as to what type of character to build. I assume I put the skills into the wrong place as I don't usually struggle with even older games to the extent I did with System Shock 2.

I did buy all the Stalker games - SOC was an amazing gaming experience although after 30 hours of playing I got stuck at the bit where there is a countdown to a nuclear explosion - man I tried to many times to get past that bit but keep failing. I'll need to watch a walkthrough of how others have done it. I'd like to get it finished before moving on to the next two games. I take it the bit with the countdown is near the end of the game is it?

Played Res Evil 4 and both Metro games - big fan of both.

Never heard of The Suffering, Condemned: Criminal Origins and Slender so thanks I'll check those out.

Are the Silent Hill games still available without using an emulator? I'm sure I looked in the past and couldn't find them...

Soldato
Rise of the Tomb Raider 6/10

Meh, it was like replaying the first game, with nothing new at all. The graphics didn't look all that amazing to me either, especially after seeing so many people praising them. The beginning mountain scene was probably the best gfx in the game, after that its nothing special.

I think having the dlc included with the 20th anniversary edition might have ruined my experience a bit as I had access to all the guns straight away, rather than having to find the parts. Which made the game extremely easy, I don't think I died in combat once.

It was OK, but i'm glad i waited for it to be cheaper before buying. I'd have been annoyed if I bought it at release and then paid even more for the season pass.

Caporegime
I did try System Shock 2 but it was so incredibly difficult that I gave up after getting stuck - I was really enjoying it but there was certain part I tried over 30 times to get past and give up in frustration. I intend to go back to it and drop the difficulty down a bit and also do a bit of research as to what type of character to build. I assume I put the skills into the wrong place as I don't usually struggle with even older games to the extent I did with System Shock 2.

Have you tried using a 'no respawn' mod? That's what I do when I play the game.

I did buy all the Stalker games - SOC was an amazing gaming experience although after 30 hours of playing I got stuck at the bit where there is a countdown to a nuclear explosion - man I tried to many times to get past that bit but keep failing. I'll need to watch a walkthrough of how others have done it. I'd like to get it finished before moving on to the next two games. I take it the bit with the countdown is near the end of the game is it?

Yes, though as I always play these games with mods, the overall experience is quite different from the vanilla game. In fact, until you mentioned it, I'd completely forgotten about the end game countdown sequence.

Never heard of The Suffering, Condemned: Criminal Origins and Slender so thanks I'll check those out.

The first title is an old FPS/horror shooter, but one that I enjoyed despite not taking a look at until relatively recently. Condemned is very popular, and I believe that will be to your liking. ;) The last game, Slender, is also quite popular but despite owning it I've yet to still try it out! :D By all accounts, it's actually quite scary.

Are the Silent Hill games still available without using an emulator? I'm sure I looked in the past and couldn't find them...

I don't know, I just assumed they were available for the PC. I think the last time I attempted to play one of them was SH2 for the PS2.

Soldato
Definitely play Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4. They're all amazing and can really make you feel uneasy. Also, they have some of the best soundtracks ever.
4 isn't as scary but the atmosphere in that game is so heavy and weird, especially in your apartment, that it's genuinely unsettling.

EDIT: I don't think you can buy those game anymore, unless you look for used copies that sometimes reach ridiculous prices so the only way is to "borrow" them from the internet...

Back
Top Bottom