Elite:Dangerous

Associate
This is a noob question, but I can't figure out how to play Elite Dangerous on my Vive.

How do I launch ED in VR?

I'm one of the original backers so have an icon on my desktop, but I can't even figure out how to lauch ED from Steam VR :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
If you are adding VR to your Elite: Dangerous experience, you've already purchased the game. This means you need to share this information with either Oculus Home or SteamVR so these stores do not try to charge you again for the game.

Head to the Frontier website in your browser, log in to your account, and go to your Account Dashboard. Here you will see an option labeled Partner Keys, which will allow you to claim a key for Elite: Dangerous on your VR platform of choice. Redeem this code on your VR store, and you'll be able to download the VR version of the game from those stores.

This does mean you'll need to uninstall the version of the game you currently have installed. There is no way to enable VR mode for Oculus Rift or SteamVR from the standard PC version of the game anymore. Before you uninstall the game, be sure to head to Users/[accountname]/AppData/Local/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Bindings/ in Windows and move the "custom.binds" file until the game is re-installed. This will save you from needing to re-map your keys in the new version of the game, just in case that information gets lost.

Associate
OP
Cheers. I was able to run it in VR from the desktop ED starter short cut as long as I had SteamVR running before I booted the game up.

I now just need to sort out my settings to make it run nicely on my basic 290. I'll try EDProfiler and see where I go from there.

Also need to figure out how t navigate the Galaxy map in VR :eek:

And continue waiting for Vega... :rolleyes:

Associate
Also need to figure out how t navigate the Galaxy map in VR :eek:

When I first started with ED in VR I could not use the galaxy map. I struggle now to navigate around it but unless I am doing random exploring I just select Open Galaxy Map from the mission screen and it opens up centered on the destination which makes life so much easier.

I have to say that once you get ED setup nicely for VR you will probably never want to play 2D again. The sense of scale just doesn't come across in 2D. The only problem is it can get a bit uncomfortable for me doing longer than 2hrs at a time.

I use the standard VR High setting and I turn down the HUD lighting to as dim as possible which reduces glare.

Associate
Plus having just spent an hour in ED on my Vive having voice attack installed and working is a god send. Saying commands and they work is awesome. Someone here (or it might have been a steam thread) even posted the small macro to automate requesting docking. Way more fun :)
When taking off I just say 'landing gear' and the landing gears retract (or deploy - depending on the current state).

Associate
OP
Plus having just spent an hour in ED on my Vive having voice attack installed and working is a god send. Saying commands and they work is awesome. Someone here (or it might have been a steam thread) even posted the small macro to automate requesting docking. Way more fun :)
When taking off I just say 'landing gear' and the landing gears retract (or deploy - depending on the current state).

I make a lot of use of Voice Attack in ED - it really adds to the immersion.

I'd be interested in that docking macro if you can find it!

Associate
I didn't really get on with the voice packs. Mainly because the voice phrase was never quite right and meant I either had to change everyone or learn them.
Doing my own meant I know what each one does and I say it naturally :)

Mini macro thing for request docking:
Press 1 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press E key and hold for 0.2 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press Space key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press S key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press Q key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press Down key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Press Left key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Press Up key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Associate
OP
I didn't really get on with the voice packs. Mainly because the voice phrase was never quite right and meant I either had to change everyone or learn them.
Doing my own meant I know what each one does and I say it naturally :)

Mini macro thing for request docking:
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press S key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press Down key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Thanks for the macro, I'll give it a try.

I've not been tempted to use Voice Packs, as I use one that was based on a selection of commands done for ED in Beta. It was by a chap who did videos on a headlook device and he may post on these forums as well? It was a good set of commands and I've adapted it a lot since, so I wouldn't be comfortable moving to a whole new way of phrasing stuff.

I'm always on the look out for useful Voice Attack macros to add though.

Last edited:
Associate
So far I've stuck with straight forward things but I have added a little bit of feedback for the lights and landing gear commands as I can't see the lights and the landing gear sometimes has a bit of a delay. So having a voice tell me the command was received and will be carried out helps.

Associate
OP
So far I've stuck with straight forward things but I have added a little bit of feedback for the lights and landing gear commands as I can't see the lights and the landing gear sometimes has a bit of a delay. So having a voice tell me the command was received and will be carried out helps.

Good tips. I've noticed that with the landing gear command. Not sure re. lights, it would be good if you could check whether they were on or off...

Associate
I can only tell if I've accidentally turned them on if I get really close to something. There may well be status indicator somewhere in the HUD but I'm not that worried about it more just being aware that I might be flashing someone :)

I do like the docking macro as I'm using the Vive headset I don't have to even look at the HUD display it just works to the side of me whilst I concentarte on admiring the station.

Soldato
If you are adding VR to your Elite: Dangerous experience, you've already purchased the game. This means you need to share this information with either Oculus Home or SteamVR so these stores do not try to charge you again for the game.

Head to the Frontier website in your browser, log in to your account, and go to your Account Dashboard. Here you will see an option labeled Partner Keys, which will allow you to claim a key for Elite: Dangerous on your VR platform of choice. Redeem this code on your VR store, and you'll be able to download the VR version of the game from those stores.

This does mean you'll need to uninstall the version of the game you currently have installed. There is no way to enable VR mode for Oculus Rift or SteamVR from the standard PC version of the game anymore. Before you uninstall the game, be sure to head to Users/[accountname]/AppData/Local/Frontier Developments/Elite Dangerous/Options/Bindings/ in Windows and move the "custom.binds" file until the game is re-installed. This will save you from needing to re-map your keys in the new version of the game, just in case that information gets lost.

Ugh, have they locked both headsets into a launcher platform now?

Associate
OP
To be honest I didn't do what 'danoliver1' suggested above re starting ED. After some fiddling around, I booted my original install of ED through EDProfiler and the Vive was picked up OK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom