Official Home Gym Building Thread

Associate
I'm thinking about getting some adjustable dumbbell weights for my home gym, has anyone got or used the Powerblock dumbbells?

It's the sport 9.0 stage 1 i'm looking at:
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/sport-9-0-set-stage-1-pair-1-22-5kg.html

I'll probably end up getting the stage 2 addon at some point too. which will take them to 41kg each.

I've already got a decent setup: strength shop cage and bench, a CF415 rack, couple of oly bars, T-Bar row anchor, about 280kg weights, 3 sets of bands, etc. But the oly dumbbell bars i've got are a pain really, and i just end up not really using them.

Having not really trained much in the last couple of years, i'm moving away from powerlifting type training, to a more bodybuilding and general fitness type of training, so thinking the dumbbells and the ability to quickly change weights would be a good addition and add more variety to what i can do without having to spend loads of time changing bars around and plates etc.

Permabanned
Setting up a gym in home is near to impossible. You wont be satisfied. I tried it once and got my self a hydro becnch-press which can be used as a shoulder press as well and for thighs also. But it didnt work out. and later i joined the gym. You see the main thing is the environment and motivation that you get from a gym.

Associate
Can't agree with that JammieR. I've had my home gym for 2 years now. Has paid for itself twice over in gym fees. I use it at least three times a week and have seen far better results than in 20yrs of gym membership. Only a modest setup nestled in my single garage with £600 spent on new items and a few cheap bargains from eBay. I love it. Complemented by running and hill walking. :)

Permabanned
Can't agree with that JammieR. I've had my home gym for 2 years now. Has paid for itself twice over in gym fees. I use it at least three times a week and have seen far better results than in 20yrs of gym membership. Only a modest setup nestled in my single garage with £600 spent on new items and a few cheap bargains from eBay. I love it. Complemented by running and hill walking. :)
thats great.. please tell me what machines or benches you are using?

Associate
I bought the CF470 half rack from Powerhouse fitness. Comes with handy weight storage. Then an oly bar and 180kg rubber coated bi-grip weights from eBay. I also bought a bicep curl (£35) and lat pulldown (£50) from ebay 2nd hand with local collection. I bought an adjustable bench from Mirafit for £85 (up to 260kg) but have since complemented it with a decent flat bench too. I already had 1" dumbbells and have since bought some extra oly handles. I don't really "need" anything else, but on the future list is a new oly bar, a landmine and perhaps some kettlebells. Hope that helps. :)

Permabanned
I bought the CF470 half rack from Powerhouse fitness. Comes with handy weight storage. Then an oly bar and 180kg rubber coated bi-grip weights from eBay. I also bought a bicep curl (£35) and lat pulldown (£50) from ebay 2nd hand with local collection. I bought an adjustable bench from Mirafit for £85 (up to 260kg) but have since complemented it with a decent flat bench too. I already had 1" dumbbells and have since bought some extra oly handles. I don't really "need" anything else, but on the future list is a new oly bar, a landmine and perhaps some kettlebells. Hope that helps. :)
A lot of things you bought.
I started with a pair of fumbles then a bench press and more heavy weights(plates)
I think the main reason for my home gym failure was no enough space.

Soldato
I'm thinking about getting some adjustable dumbbell weights for my home gym, has anyone got or used the Powerblock dumbbells?

It's the sport 9.0 stage 1 i'm looking at:
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/sport-9-0-set-stage-1-pair-1-22-5kg.html

Yes I have these powerblock dumbbells and think they are a fantastic addition to my home gym. They are much more convenient then using Olympic handles as they are not the same fixed length regardless of weight like the Olympic handles. Also the change time to different weights is very quick.

A lot of people comment on how they might feel due to the cage around the grip, I can honestly say that you don't even notice it at all, its just like using a normal set of dumbbells.

I got mine from fitness super store, through quidco and a discount code I managed to get them for around £400 for the stage 1 and stage 2 9.0 set. The only thing I regret is not getting a stand, but at £160 extra, its not a priority in the first instance.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes I have these powerblock dumbbells and think they are a fantastic addition to my home gym. They are much more convenient then using Olympic handles as they are not the same fixed length regardless of weight like the Olympic handles. Also the change time to different weights is very quick.

A lot of people comment on how they might feel due to the cage around the grip, I can honestly say that you don't even notice it at all, its just like using a normal set of dumbbells.

I got mine from fitness super store, through quidco and a discount code I managed to get them for around £400 for the stage 1 and stage 2 9.0 set. The only thing I regret is not getting a stand, but at £160 extra, its not a priority in the first instance.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ordered a set Wednesday afternoon. I opted for the stage 1 kit only, as i can always order the stage 2 later if i feel i'll benefit from it a little more and actually use my gym regularly.

Got 5% discount and 5% cashback, so works out around £230, but the stage 2 kit is about £25-30 cheaper.

Soldato
Hey all,
I was thinking of getting a squat rack in my house, and I was wondering what people might suggest to protect floorboards?
I was thinking like a 1" thick plywood to have it standing on, then some of that thick rubber gym flooring to go infront (Deadlifts /rows )

Caporegime
OP
anyone in or near Glasgow looking for a powertec power rack plus lat pulley tower circa £1300-£1500 worth of rack and add ons. send me a trust message. looking for around £600 for it. can deliver too if within say 90 mins drive (1 way) but will be extra.

also got a gymratz commercial bench and some olympic weights as well as a olympic bar

Soldato
We are setting up a gym in our 1st floor spare room. Weights bench, cross trainer and training bike.

Looking for recommendations for interlocking floor mats. They will be laid over carpet with floorboards underneath.

Not doing massive weights - about 100kg maximum.

Not sure what thickness and material will be best.

Associate
Wifey says she wants a barbell and weights which I've been secretly hankering after.

I think rubber coated/ tri grip would be best - are they much of a muchness or are there any recommendations? Likely to go for Olympic size bar.

Back
Top Bottom