Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Soldato
No idea why they differ so much - it's Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae, or bachelor of medicine & bachelor of surgery but I've seen about 5 ways that can be written.

Thanks guys.
Always interested in paeds & emergency med but I detest night shifts, probably swinging towards GP now

Associate
That's rubbish, I used to like a coffee from TH!

I've highlighted the relevant word for you. I like the dark roast still, but their regular roast got pretty bad about 2 years ago. (for me)

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks that as well. There are a couple of dissenters to the popular opinion, but not solid proof appears online either way.
https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/com...coffee_what_happened/?st=j4ampqc6&sh=a926637e

KiraMartin Ontario 215 points 1 year ago
It's because Timmy's gave up the coffee they used to sell and McDonald's bought it out. Now Timmy's sells a different brand that isn't as good all in the name of saving themselves a few bucks.

-

agaric Ontario 318 points 1 year ago
You're mostly right.

What happened was Timmys had a blend made for them WAY back in the day, when Timmys coffee was good, and once Timmys became huge and was bought out, they left the old formulation and made their own, cheaper, crappier blend.

Around this time McDonalds Canada was introducting the new "bistro" McDonalds, thats when they started bringing in TVs and big leather couches, they wanted people to loiter in McDonalds longer and spend more money, thats also when they decided to get real coffee, so they contacted the same supplier that made Timmys old blend and said "hook a brother up", but the Timmys blend will always be a secret recipe for Timmys so the supplier tweaked the Timmys blend and made a McDonalds blend.

Fast forward a number of years and Canadians are still slow to realize that McDonalds is selling the good, old time Timmys coffee and Timmys is selling dishwater and telling you its your Canadian duty to buy from them.

McDonalds as a corporation can burn in hell for all I care but their coffee is really good.

-

[–][deleted] 2 points 1 year ago
Tim Horton's used to buy their coffee from Mother Parkers, they then switched to their own blend. Now McDonald's orders their coffee from Mother Parkers

I don't know the exact details, but my dad was one of the people in charge of launching McCafe across Canada

EDIT: Anyway w're taking up too much "purchase show off" space with mediocre coffee talk

Associate
A new light with an original glass pedestal sign from the 1950's. About 45cm in diameter.

file-5_zpsijkd3csr.jpeg

Caporegime
No idea why they differ so much - it's Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae, or bachelor of medicine & bachelor of surgery but I've seen about 5 ways that can be written.

Thanks guys.
Always interested in paeds & emergency med but I detest night shifts, probably swinging towards GP now

Mine's MB BChir, never actually looked up what it means, nice to know :)

It utterly boils my wee-wee to see Charlie Massey's signature on that, he was one of the Government crony's responsible for the new contract train wreck, totally incompetent but still walked straight into a cushy job at the GMC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnH-Pc6MicM

GP is the sensible choice at the moment. ED has a 90% drop out rate, for good reason, those guys are mad.

Paeds is going a similar way to ED slowly. My next rota is horrific - nights every other week, 1:2 weekends.

Soldato
Mine's MB BChir, never actually looked up what it means, nice to know :)

It utterly boils my wee-wee to see Charlie Massey's signature on that, he was one of the Government crony's responsible for the new contract train wreck, totally incompetent but still walked straight into a cushy job at the GMC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnH-Pc6MicM

GP is the sensible choice at the moment. ED has a 90% drop out rate, for good reason, those guys are mad.

Paeds is going a similar way to ED slowly. My next rota is horrific - nights every other week, 1:2 weekends.

My first F1 rotation is Paeds, but because we're essentially babysat with minimal responsibility, no nights. 1 in 3 weekends. If that continued throughout, paeds would have been the one for me. But nights every other week?! Oh Minstadave, I salute you

Last edited:
Caporegime
I did exactly the same a good few years back, started supernumerary on Paeds. Still love it now (just about to finish me ST7 year in Paeds - one year to go!).

Hospital medicine is a slog though. Your family life suffers a lot.

This is what is in store for my next 6 months:

9NBOh5P.png

Soldato
Congrats again tres. I did a paeds job in FY1 too and loved it. It was genuinely like still being a 5th year as it was completely super-numary. Still seems like a lot of weekends for an FY1 in paeds on your Rota but we know to to thank for that and also the half days are odd. Thats a pretty **** rota! GP definitely the way forward...i can't wait until I'm done with hospital medicine, only 6 months to go!

Soldato
Wow! Full respect to you guys, those schedules look hellish. How can you ever plan a life outside of work with work patterns like that?

Oh don't worry about it, I read the Daily Mail before applying, apparently I'll get paid 200k and have 10 weeks holiday a year.

But in all seriousness, that's why i'm going towards GP - not great, but better hours. The girlfriend will qualify next year, but she's got her heart set on hospital medicine. God knows when we'll have time to see each other, start a family etc etc

Soldato
Thanks chief, I bet you're excited! Are you in GP training at the moment? What rotations have you done?

Yeah just about to start ST2. I did do core medical training before going down the GP route though and felt it wasn't for me.

In GPST1 I did renal/endocrine medicine, psychiatry and next year elderly care will hopefully be my last hospital job. Can't wait to get into GP. I did it for a FY2 placement and absolutely loved it! The great thing about GP is that you can go on to so many things. For example my wife does A&E locum working as front of house triage and walk-in so if you enjoy the acute side you can keep in touch with that.

Soldato
A cheap little card from OcUK to get my PC running again. Can't believe how much better this runs my old games. My system must be ancient...

7SdWmlVh.jpg

Back
Top Bottom