• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTG boss takes 'sabbatical'

Soldato
It doesn't say sabbatical, it says he's taking eight weeks off to spend with his family. Maybe it's just owed holiday for the hours he's worked, so not unusual?

It's always possible it's a precursor to him leaving or being pushed out the door, but to be honest I think Vega has achieved what it set out to do, so he's just taking a holiday before starting work on the Navi release cycle. Navi is really Raja's baby, and is the next big step to bringing AMD back to the top of the GPU industry.

Associate
I doubt it's a sacking as they wouldn't have given a date as to when he will be back. He's a proud man and would have taken it on the chin.

Permabanned
If true and he doesn't return to the same position is it a surprise? I don't think so, He may be a good architecture designer but he's no good as a boss, He's completely destroyed my faith & trust in AMD's Graphics team over the way everything Vega has been handled, Nothing but smoke & mirror's, Vega isn't necessarily a bad product, far from perfect yes but handled right it could have been well received even as it is. But the man at the reigns was in over his head. I'm annoyed that after a year of waiting I ended up with a GTX 1080 I don't really want. All the big Vega info events over the last year have been a joke, There's numerous examples but here's a couple, He did an event where he promised news about Vega at the end, That keep us waiting & watching a boring presentation about a Bollywood movie and Vega's supposed importance in creating a virtual backdrop which is not exactly something new. So we sat through that and when we finally reach the end we get a 4 second titbit where he tells us Vega will be named Vega and leaves the stage. It seems to me that he's used his position at AMD to promote stuff in his home country rather than focusing on Vega and it's position on the World stage. On the final day's leading to the release he had Linus doing a Vega presentation where they seemed to have hijacked a middleschool bus full of pre-teens to watch the unboxing of a non product, ie: Show the card for ten seconds and then pull out the cube and make that the focus of this Vega event. Raj Koduri's handling of the situation has been dire. RTG is a mess at the moment so if it's true and Mr Koduri doesn't come back good riddance.

The King is dead, Long live the Queen.

Soldato
Hmmm don't think there is too much to read in to that. He's off for two months. Yes, it's a little bit fishy, but he does say he will be back in Dec and back working on what AMD have in the pipeline next.

Associate
He won't go away, but there is one important piece in the text:
As we enter 2018, I will be shifting my focus more toward architecting and realizing this vision and rebalancing my operational responsibilities.

So it seems like a change in his position more towards chip design and maybe away from marketing and other stuff. He never seemed too good in marketing, so this looks like a good step for me.

Associate
Vega launch was a train wreck. AMD need to get their house in order. The level of incompetence over the years has been unbelievable. AMD buying ATI was probably the worst thing that could've happened for the consumer, with the lack of funds thus creating a lack of competition.

AMD haven't given me a reason to buy their cards for years. And that's not going to change anytime soon, judging by the nonsense that's going on with them at the moment.

Oh, and they need to ditch the Radeon brand. It's got about as much weight to it as a swimming kickboard.

Last edited:
Soldato
If true and he doesn't return to the same position is it a surprise? I don't think so, He may be a good architecture designer but he's no good as a boss, He's completely destroyed my faith & trust in AMD's Graphics team over the way everything Vega has been handled, Nothing but smoke & mirror's, Vega isn't necessarily a bad product, far from perfect yes but handled right it could have been well received even as it is. But the man at the reigns was in over his head. I'm annoyed that after a year of waiting I ended up with a GTX 1080 I don't really want. All the big Vega info events over the last year have been a joke, There's numerous examples but here's a couple, He did an event where he promised news about Vega at the end, That keep us waiting & watching a boring presentation about a Bollywood movie and Vega's supposed importance in creating a virtual backdrop which is not exactly something new. So we sat through that and when we finally reach the end we get a 4 second titbit where he tells us Vega will be named Vega and leaves the stage. It seems to me that he's used his position at AMD to promote stuff in his home country rather than focusing on Vega and it's position on the World stage. On the final day's leading to the release he had Linus doing a Vega presentation where they seemed to have hijacked a middleschool bus full of pre-teens to watch the unboxing of a non product, ie: Show the card for ten seconds and then pull out the cube and make that the focus of this Vega event. Raj Koduri's handling of the situation has been dire. RTG is a mess at the moment so if it's true and Mr Koduri doesn't come back good riddance.

The King is dead, Long live the Queen.

I disagree with you, While the GPUs haven't ment everyone's expectations what he has done for AMD Graphics is more than just releasing GPUs. The hole GPU software since he joined has been turned around, to what was lacking massively in features compared to the competition now has features better than the competition.

AMD graphics department is miles better now than it was before Raja joined. The guy deserves more credit that he gets.

Soldato
Meh gotta disagree with this, they were doing better against Nvidia before and the drivers were better to use (though I will admit they look prettier now).
No they weren't two/three years ago AMD's market share plummeted to 20%, the Fury was lunched and then disappeared just as quick due to it being unprofitable. He too the decision to not make a large Polaris chips and concentrate on focusing on the mainstream market which resulted in AMD achieving an additional 10% of market share by the end of 2016. Given what he's had to work with and were AMD are they've done well IMO.

Caporegime
N He too the decision to not make a large Polaris chips and concentrate on focusing on the mainstream market which resulted in AMD achieving an additional 10% of market share by the end of 2016.

That's a matter of opinion, there's plenty of talk that Polaris was meant to be much better than what it was, but it didn't meet expectations so they just had to go with what they had.

Back
Top Bottom