Wired vs Wireless for gaming/Live streaming help?

Associate
Hey folks how's it going so basically im looking into getting this Motherboard https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-553-gi.html for my Upcoming Ryzen/Vega build although it doesn't include WIFI :(

Im currently using my Phone tethered to my Computer for internet but am getting BT Fibre put in next week.

So i hae 2 options i either purchase this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus-pce-ac56-dual-band-wireless-ac1300-pci-e-adapter-nw-088-as.html and run it on wireless? also would this Interfere with my NVME drive?

Or i Pay someone to run a cable from downstairs to my Computer so i can use the Killer E2500?

Associate
OP
Just Looked up Powerline adapters never heard of them before but they sound good i have a second socket in my room so could just buy a longer Ethernet cable for the second adapter would that work?

Soldato
Wifi is a convenience for mobile devices that have no other option to connect to a network. Wire everything else.

If you do use powerline then understand the quoted speeds are full duplex, so half them, quoted speeds are the maximum theoretically attainable, so budget on a minimum of 20% less in the real world, even less if you have crappy wiring, plug into extensions, spur sockets etc. and then allow for a networking overhead. Either way I'd take powerline over wifi.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just Ordered BT Infinity Fibre not getting Installed/activated till October my estimated minimum speeds are like 35mb down and 5mb upload if i was to use the Powerline adapters how much speed would i lose theoretically?

Soldato
Just Ordered BT Infinity Fibre not getting Installed/activated till October my estimated minimum speeds are like 35mb down and 5mb upload if i was to use the Powerline adapters how much speed would i lose theoretically?

Unusual that you'd get near full download and only half upload. You'd probably loose nothing, but that assumes you buy a suitable kit, have OK wiring, RTFM and can follow basic instructions/have common sense.

Soldato
I'm with VM with a 200/10 package.
Using powerline adapters give me a 50/10 connection in a recently renovated apartment.

Soldato
Wired > Powerline > Wifi.

I laid cat6 when the conservatory eas being built, and that's where my rig is. Best decision I ever made.

Running cables is easy if you're handy. The more they're hidden the trickier the job. Mine are all in walls, skirting or in D-Line trunking, as... you know, wifey.

I've never used power line so I can't comment as to their efficacy. Some love it, some have endless problems.

Soldato
Wired > Powerline > Wifi.

I laid cat6 when the conservatory eas being built, and that's where my rig is. Best decision I ever made.

Running cables is easy if you're handy. The more they're hidden the trickier the job. Mine are all in walls, skirting or in D-Line trunking, as... you know, wifey.

I've never used power line so I can't comment as to their efficacy. Some love it, some have endless problems.

I would easily take GOOD WiFi over powerline any day.

Back
Top Bottom