Associate
Hi,
I am not really a computer genius so I need some help please.

I would really like a 34" ultrawide as my main screen and 2 27" monitors - one on each side.

I multitask. No photo editing or serious gaming so monitors don't need to reflect this.
I will have youtube open on one 27", other internet pages on the other 27" and my main screen would be the 34".

I did consider just the ultrawide but I don't want to have to scale down webpages etc to have them side by side. I would prefer to move it over to a secondary/tertiary monitor.

I am currently looking at the LG 34UM68 and 2x Dell U2715H.

I realise they won't match up perfectly but there will only be an 8mm gap at the top and another 8mm gap at the bottom. I think this is livable and will accentuate that the 34" is a primary monitor.

Is there any foreseeable issues?
Resolution differences?

Have I selected reasonable monitors for my purpose? Is ones that will align better?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Okay, thank you.

I would probably go for the LG 34UM88C then.

No foreseeable issues running an 1440p ultrawide with two 1080p 16:9s?

Soldato
Apologies for my ignorance but why would I need to go 1440p on the side monitors?

You don't need to, but it would mean that you'd have the same vertical pixels on all screens. I'm also pretty sure that 34" ultrawide and 27" 16:9 are about the same physical height, so this means you'll get near identical pixel sizes on all screens. If the side panels are 1080p, pixels will be bigger and you'll get the sense that things suddenly get larger when you drag them out left or right.

Which could be fine for your uses :) My side monitors don't even match each other let alone the middle screen, but one is for voice/chat and one is for youtube, and never the twain need to meet.

Associate
OP
You don't need to, but it would mean that you'd have the same vertical pixels on all screens. I'm also pretty sure that 34" ultrawide and 27" 16:9 are about the same physical height, so this means you'll get near identical pixel sizes on all screens. If the side panels are 1080p, pixels will be bigger and you'll get the sense that things suddenly get larger when you drag them out left or right.

Which could be fine for your uses :) My side monitors don't even match each other let alone the middle screen, but one is for voice/chat and one is for youtube, and never the twain need to meet.

Okay thanks.

How would Netflix and youtube be on a 1440p?

I.e 1080p videos fullscreen on youtube or netflix fullscreen on the 27" 1440p?
Would I get pillarboxing?

Soldato
Okay thanks.

How would Netflix and youtube be on a 1440p?

I.e 1080p videos fullscreen on youtube or netflix fullscreen on the 27" 1440p?
Would I get pillarboxing?

No, you'll get awkward stretching of 4 pixels being scaled to 5. As far as I know, there's no options in either to display media at 1:1 pixel ratio. But you may not notice it, especially if you're sitting back from the screen or just watching stuff in the background

Associate
OP
I am even more lost now haha.

Any recommendations for monitors for my needs?

I multitask. No photo editing or serious gaming so monitors don't need to reflect this.
I will have youtube open on one, internet pages on the other and a main screen.

I am open to 2x 16:9 and 1x ultrawide or 3x 16:9.

Apparently 27" is too big for 1080p.
and 1080p videos look poor on 1440p monitors (youtube/netflix)

Soldato
After being in a similar position and try out 34" and 29" Ultrawides.

32" 2560x1440 16:9 HP Omen is my recommendation or similar size.

Just curious as to what made you not prefer a 21:9 34" at 1440p...? With the vertical height of a 27" you get the extra width, with less demands than a 4k monitor.
That is unless you meant 1080p, lack of height.

But UW is a bit of a marmite aspect ratio.

Not sure how I would feel about a 32" 1440p over 27". I suppose that's why they make them tho, it's about personal choice, like panel tupes.

Associate
Just curious as to what made you not prefer a 21:9 34" at 1440p...? With the vertical height of a 27" you get the extra width, with less demands than a 4k monitor.
That is unless you meant 1080p, lack of height.

But UW is a bit of a marmite aspect ratio.

Not sure how I would feel about a 32" 1440p over 27". I suppose that's why they make them tho, it's about personal choice, like panel tupes.

I could work with 32" 2560x1440 16:9 without scaling.

34" 3440x1440 I had to scale up text losing screen space.

Back
Top Bottom