US: Star Trek: Discovery

Permabanned
I'm really enjoying Discovery so far, visually it's very impressive even if it is quite dark, you would think they would have better lighting in the future.

A few things I don't like, the ship designs look a little odd, both Klingon and Federation.

That spore drive activation sequence was a bit bonkers and some of the events in the pilot (EP1+2) were a little suspect, Michael going through a vacuum yet comes out completely unharmed and sending just your captain and first officer to capture that Klingon. The transporter had six pads, even TNG was less cheesy than this when it came to away team protocol.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it, the hate online from the hardcore fans is hilarious.

Caporegime
Watched episide 4, that was great. Back on track after episode 3. Some real emotion in places, acting is done well and the story is building up nicely.

Only works for me if I view it as a standalone series and not canon. So much whacky **** going on spore drives, magic mushrooms etc that I just can't deal with it otherwise!!

Associate
just finished watching all the episode to date so far and it got my attention...i am not sure were this part of the star trek fit into the gene roddenberry franchise, but it has got my attention.

Soldato
I think I finally figured out why I dislike Discovery, it's because it has nothing to do with Star Trek lol.

Seriously, if the good guys weren't a member of an organisation called "Starfleet" and the bad guys weren't called "Klingons" then there would be absolutely nothing to tie it to any of the other series/films/etc. It shares none of the visual design/art cues (it looks more like Battlestar Galactica than Enterprise), none of the types of stories, it's basically like the creators skim read the Star Trek Wikipedia page and said "yup, let's make us some money".

This really hit home in the last episode when got ambushed by a D7 class battlecruiser which looked absolutely nothing like a D7 class battlecruiser, it's like they just Googled Klingon ships from TOS and then did their own thing haha. I mean what was the actual point of trying to make the Discovery look vaguely like a federation ship when you're not going to do it for ship designs that have already been established, it's stupid >.>

HeX

HeX

Soldato
This really hit home in the last episode when got ambushed by a D7 class battlecruiser which looked absolutely nothing like a D7 class battlecruiser, it's like they just Googled Klingon ships from TOS and then did their own thing haha. I mean what was the actual point of trying to make the Discovery look vaguely like a federation ship when you're not going to do it for ship designs that have already been established, it's stupid >.>

This is one of the most annoying things about the show for me. If they'd had made Discovery a post-Nemesis show, then they could have come up with whatever ship designs they liked and it would have worked. But you can't just start using already well established ship designations and have them be completely unrecognisable.

It would also do away with all those nagging questions like, if Star Fleet came up with an instant jump spore drive this long ago, why did no one think to make one when Voyager was stuck in the Delta quadrant... or indeed why has it never been mentioned again in any future timeline at any point...

Soldato
This is one of the most annoying things about the show for me. If they'd had made Discovery a post-Nemesis show, then they could have come up with whatever ship designs they liked and it would have worked. But you can't just start using already well established ship designations and have them be completely unrecognisable.

It would also do away with all those nagging questions like, if Star Fleet came up with an instant jump spore drive this long ago, why did no one think to make one when Voyager was stuck in the Delta quadrant... or indeed why has it never been mentioned again in any future timeline at any point...

One of the comical things is that it's set a decade before TOS, which means the Enterprise that Kirk will command has already been in service about a decade, I can't wait for that to show up in a later episode looking like a UFO lol.

2 episodes in and I can just about manage a 'meh'.

Doesn't feel like Star Trek which doesn't concern me as I would go and watch re-runs of DS9 if that is all I wanted. The bigger issue is, as far as sci fi goes it is so far surprisingly average, no where near as good writing as The Expanse when it first aired and hasn't had me cramming in the episode the way Dark Matter did (R.I.P.).

I will be watching the season and from various comments it might be a slow burner, hell TNG took took 5 series to get going :D

Associate
I felt the latest episode was very much the sort of thing you would find mid season in any series of star trek. Whether or not that is a good thing depends on your viewpoint.

What is interesting is that my fiancee, who doesn't like sci fi or any other trek series, told me yesterday that she was really starting to enjoy it and really liked the main character. So it may be appealing to a wider group than the traditional audience.

I also like the characters in the show, they are a bit more complicated than the purely good ones we've had in the past.

Back
Top Bottom