Asus Prime X370-Pro Owner's thread

Permabanned
I have my fans linked to a PWM fan curve in the bios, different board(CH6) but the prime is the same Q Fan setup, cant link to GPU temperature that way unfortunately, but it works well for the CPU. Though my GPU barely tops 40 degrees under water. :p

Soldato
I have my fans linked to a PWM fan curve in the bios, different board(CH6) but the prime is the same Q Fan setup, cant link to GPU temperature that way unfortunately, but it works well for the CPU. Though my GPU barely tops 40 degrees under water. :p

It's annoying when your GPU is under air haha. I ended up having to download another app to link fans to GPU temps, ASUS' own wouldn't do it at all.

Associate
After analyzing some threads and asking some questions on overclock.net I finally realized that many people with this board are running much lower SoC values than me. ;)

Playing around with good manual/low timings for my Samsung b-die sticks at 3200MHz I had problems getting it stable using SoC 1.11875, procODT 53.3, DRAM 1.38, LLC Auto, extreme phase control for cpu and SoC. I got sporadic errors during my hci memtests at various stages.

Anyway, after reading these threads on overclock.net for our board I lowered my SoC to 1.0 (some people are actually running lower than SoC 1.0 for 3200MHz memory speed).

What's interesting:
After changing to SoC 1.0 I no longer get any hci memtest errors and achieve good benchmarks results.

Warning: I haven't tested my system using prime95 or occt after running SoC 1.0 though but it for sure looks promising, hci memtest should be good enough for testing memory stability?

Bios 0902, cpu 1600X (SoC value is probably very cpu dependent)

Running high memory speeds with good manual timings provides good performance boosts for Ryzen systems. Only thing I have been focusing on lately is tweaking my manual timings. Problem is that XMP/DOCP sets terrible timings, manual timings is a must. Reason why XMP/DOCP sets terrible timings is probably because the issues with Hynix memories, trying to achive Hynix compability. Running these default loose xmp timings with Samsung b-dies is very uneffecient from a performance point of view.

Timings recommended from @The Stilt (overclock.net) is a good start even though he has the Crosshair board:
https://www.pixeltopic.com/files/2017/10/mxsmriiygmeolyr.jpg

The Hynix - Samsung story for Ryzen is tragical, AMD could have handled this better but Samsung is dominating, we can all agree upon that.

Last edited:
Associate
HCI memtest is good if you get 400% coverage on at least 90% of your RAM under windows (ex: 16 windows with 900MB each for a 16GB kit). Memtest86 is better, you can put it on an USB stick, boot with it and it'll test all of your RAM (you can also have it use all 16 threads, which speeds things up quite nicely).

And I also have some issues with getting 3200 stable, I managed to up until I did a cold boot recently and it's like my SoC degraded since I can't get 3200 stable anymore, regardless of timings used. I'll try lowering the SoC voltage and see if that does the trick.

Associate
HCI is neat, but you can't really test all of your RAM in windows, memtest86 is great if you can just leave it running overnight.

And after reading a little bit through the X370 Prime hardwareluxx thread, it seems I suffered from the Cold Boot Bug. Apparently ASUS have released a beta bios for the CH6 that should tackle the CBB, so hopefully that makes its way to the X370 Prime too. Having all of the work I put towards getting 3200 stable get wiped by a cold boot randomness is just annoying.

Associate
HCI is neat, but you can't really test all of your RAM in windows, memtest86 is great if you can just leave it running overnight.

And after reading a little bit through the X370 Prime hardwareluxx thread, it seems I suffered from the Cold Boot Bug. Apparently ASUS have released a beta bios for the CH6 that should tackle the CBB, so hopefully that makes its way to the X370 Prime too. Having all of the work I put towards getting 3200 stable get wiped by a cold boot randomness is just annoying.

I haven't had any problems at all with coldboots since running Samsung b-die sticks. What kind of memory sticks do you have, Hynix?

Associate
Samsung B-die also, I just can't get 3200 stable anymore regardless of settings, it's annoying.
I'll try again when a new BIOS version releases, maybe that will help.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well had a bit of a tinker just see what i could get without being too silly and got my team group 8 pack fan dabby dozy memory humming along at 3333-14-14-14-31. not bad i guess for doing very little in the bios. this is on a 1700 running stock btw with that all cores boost thing on so they all boost to 3.2. seems stable enough will have to push it further once iv done a week or two of this not falling over.

Associate
Guess the B-die I have is the stuff they scraped from the factory floor :D
Also, how do you guys validate your memory settings? I try to do 2 passes of memtest86, at least 400% HCI memtest in Windows with about 90% coverage and then some Prime95 with it using 12~14GB of RAM for the IMC.
I can actually boot fine into windows with 3200, even higher, but having no errors is a different thing...

Associate
Has anyone else had issue where the RGB lights directly on the motherboard stopped working?
BIOS updates and a windows format hasn't cured this, setting is definitely enabled in BIOS: I've toggled to no avail.

I've also tried installing the newest lighting control and aura software to no avail.
Hardly the end of the world but annoying nonetheless.

---
On a side note, my 1700 has been rock stable at 3.7GHz @ 1.375v, with memory at 2933MHhz (down clocked from 3200 profile) for a fortnight now.
What volts are people needing for the larger clocks?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Also, how do you guys validate your memory settings? I try to do 2 passes of memtest86, at least 400% HCI memtest in Windows with about 90% coverage and then some Prime95 with it using 12~14GB of RAM for the IMC.
I can actually boot fine into windows with 3200, even higher, but having no errors is a different thing...

il be honest over the years all i do is get to windows and use the machine and if it doesnt crash then great, sure testing it with some stress test for hours would be better but honestly i just cant be bothered with it. like now il leave it how it is for a couple of weeks and then have another tinker and try to nudge it up a bit more.

Associate
@NeoVo That's a known issue with the RGB strip on the X370 Prime, some Aura/BIOS versions could kill the LEDs on the strip.
One of the ASUS guys made an utility that might be able to bring the LEDs back to life: http://www.mediafire.com/file/4cxrkx5jazw14yi/AuraFix+X370PRO.rar
Ymmv, but you can probably RMA the board if nothing works and the RGB thing is important to you.

And I'm using 3.6Ghz with 1.175v (LLC Auto) with 2933Mhz C16 right now, seems rock stable after a multitude of tests (memtest86, HCI, prime95, IBT, RealBench). I can do 3.8Ghz with 1.325v (LLC Auto), but I like 3.6Ghz with 1.175v because the temps and power consumption are really low.

@GAC Yeah, but if you start having programs/games crashing, it might be due to memory errors. I'm probably being overzealous with so much testing, but it's better than crashing when I'm working :D

GAC

GAC

Soldato
yeah testing does have its benefits but sometimes the crashes are just windows being windows :p and no amount of stress testing catches them. like i said i tweaked mine up to where it is now yesterday and il give it a couple of weeks then go some more if i can. not in a big hurry to clock the nuts off it just yet as im only on a gtx 1070 so no need for more cpu speed hence im just tightening improving the memory speeds. also something iv found over the years is sometimes rather than overclocking off the bat let it burn in so to speak, weather it makes much of a difference im not sure but iv seem to had more success that way then just trying to dial in the best from the get go.

Soldato
Has anyone else had issue where the RGB lights directly on the motherboard stopped working?
BIOS updates and a windows format hasn't cured this, setting is definitely enabled in BIOS: I've toggled to no avail.

I've also tried installing the newest lighting control and aura software to no avail.
Hardly the end of the world but annoying nonetheless.

---
On a side note, my 1700 has been rock stable at 3.7GHz @ 1.375v, with memory at 2933MHhz (down clocked from 3200 profile) for a fortnight now.
What volts are people needing for the larger clocks?

Your volts seem high for 3.7Ghz.

I'm at 1.35v for 3.8Ghz.

Soldato

You and me both! My GSkill Trident Z runs fine at 3200MHz, but fails at anything faster.

Associate
well had a bit of a tinker just see what i could get without being too silly and got my team group 8 pack fan dabby dozy memory humming along at 3333-14-14-14-31. not bad i guess for doing very little in the bios. this is on a 1700 running stock btw with that all cores boost thing on so they all boost to 3.2. seems stable enough will have to push it further once iv done a week or two of this not falling over.

Running 3333 stable with good manual settings is rare for this board I believe? Except from your 14-14-14-31 timings you are on auto timings?

Would really appreciate if you could share your settings, SoC, DRAM, procODT and possibly other "secrets", bios version too.

I can easily boot my system in Windows, running various benchmarks too but I can't get it stable using 3333 or 3466 yet (mostly testing using hci memtest).

(Once I believe I reached stability using 3333 but with poor timings.)

Right now I am running 3200MHz stable using SoC 1.0, DRAM 1.38, procODT 53.3, extreme phase control on cpu and SoC. It took a while before I realized from other users that low SoC settings are common for our board, many people are even running SoC below 1.0, at least using Samsung b-die sticks up to 3200MHz together with 0902 bios. For higher speeds above 3200 it's probably different though.

My current timings:
https://www.pixeltopic.com/files/2017/10/mnohuxfggnujwdm.jpg

Last edited:

GAC

GAC

Soldato
no probs not installed the ryzen software on here as iv been tinkering only in the bios but using cpuid my settings are 14-14-14-31 trc at 78 and CR at 1T. bios is same as you the august 0902. mobo revision X.0x. as for the rest of the settings left them as is in the bios.

all i did was left everything default in the bios, loaded up the docp settings in the memory then manually selected the ddr 3333 speed and that was it.

now again im running team group dark pro 8 pack ddr 3200 cas 14 2 8 gig sticks in slots 2 and 4. i did try to nudge it to 3433 but wouldnt get past the mem test loop and would dump me back to the f1 to setup screen for bios. hence iv left it as is for now. not really read up on ryzen overclocking but as i said above for now not really needed everything seems fine and im only ona gtx1070 so a little pointless to clock the nuts of my cpu.

what memory are you running as this seems to be a big thing, i know someone with corsair vengeance 3200 16 stuff and they cant get it past 2933 but i have a feeling this is more down to them and their own ability and reading to many forum posts rather than duff memory as others on here seem able to hit 3200 cas 16 fine with such memory.

Associate
no probs not installed the ryzen software on here as iv been tinkering only in the bios but using cpuid my settings are 14-14-14-31 trc at 78 and CR at 1T. bios is same as you the august 0902. mobo revision X.0x. as for the rest of the settings left them as is in the bios.

all i did was left everything default in the bios, loaded up the docp settings in the memory then manually selected the ddr 3333 speed and that was it.

now again im running team group dark pro 8 pack ddr 3200 cas 14 2 8 gig sticks in slots 2 and 4. i did try to nudge it to 3433 but wouldnt get past the mem test loop and would dump me back to the f1 to setup screen for bios. hence iv left it as is for now. not really read up on ryzen overclocking but as i said above for now not really needed everything seems fine and im only ona gtx1070 so a little pointless to clock the nuts of my cpu.

what memory are you running as this seems to be a big thing, i know someone with corsair vengeance 3200 16 stuff and they cant get it past 2933 but i have a feeling this is more down to them and their own ability and reading to many forum posts rather than duff memory as others on here seem able to hit 3200 cas 16 fine with such memory.

Ok, well, if you really want good memory performance then you need to set all timings manually, the difference in performance may be substantial. Don't forget testing stability using hci memtest though.

I easily run 3333 and 3466 in Windows myself but I can't get it stable thus I am sticking with 3200.

Recommend trying out The Stilt's settings (from overclock.net) even though he is using the Crosshair board himself.
https://www.pixeltopic.com/files/2017/10/mxsmriiygmeolyr.jpg

Running 3466 stable (passing hci memtest) is a huge challenge for this board, good luck and please let us know your results. :) I would definately start with a good stable 3333 setup if I were you though.

Yes, you are correct, the difference in performance with memory kits using Hynix or Samsung b-die is huge for Ryzen (Samsung b-die is what you are having and what you want). Samsung b-die makes it possible using better timings and also running the memory in higher speeds.

Ryzen software I never use for memory configuraion, only bios.

Corsair vengeance lpx exist with Samsung b-die too though.

Last edited:
Soldato
On my ch6 board corsair lpx 3200 2 x 8gb would only be stable at 2933. Settings made no difference. 3066 would boot but randomly revert back to 2133 after a few reboots. It was Hynix ram.

Stilts settings at 3466 c15 worked first time stable on ch6. Never reverts to 2133.

Back
Top Bottom