Berlin - What to do?

Soldato
I just remembered Gecco cocktail bar off Kurfurstendamm near Kaiser Wilhelm church, it's a small bar but had something like 40+ cocktails on the menu along with German beer and other drinks, worth having a drink especially as the area is nice in the evening.

I went to Berlin last year and stopped over at some friends for 4 nights. These were some of the things we did:

- German Museum of Technology (science / history museum)
- Papaya (Thai restaurant)
- Computerspielemuseum (retro gaming museum... one for us OcUKers!!)
- Schleusenkrug (beer garden)
- Cinestar Sony Centre (cinema with English-speaking films)
- Segments of the Berlin Wall at Potsdamer Platz and Brandenburg Gate
- Brandenburg Gate itself
- Boccacelli am Winterfeldtplatz (Italian restaurant)
- KaDeWe (department store)
- Winterfeldtstraße (local market)

Of course, Germany is known for its beer and sausages, so for beer, I had Andechser Weissbier Hell, Altenmünster Brauer Bier Urig Wurzig and Urweisse. 2 types of sausages were Bratwurst and Merguez.

Associate
Checkpoint Charlie is a waste of time. The best part about it is to walk the streets on your way there and discover the city that way, but as an attraction it's not worth it (unless you fancy a Big Mac).

Great city though, I love the history there. Segway tour sounds a great idea to see the most of it.

Man of Honour
OP
We walked to Checkpoint Charlie and spent at least two hours there in different museums and talking to people who lived it. Amongst loads of other stuff we visited a Berlin Wall museum today and The Ramones Museum just round the corner. I had a good talk with the owner and Dee Dee Ramones sister who was there.

Associate
Great city, was there for Easter. Another good way to see the city is to take the city bus tour. One of the places pointed out were the old flak towers. Another good trip was a boat ride. I was amazed to see the banks of the river still covered in bullet holes from the heavy fighting at the end of WW2. If you like aircraft there is an old Luftwaffe/NATO airbase that has been used as a military aircraft museum out to the west of the city.

Oh and the beer.... the fantastic beer! ;) Go and have a meal here just off the main square. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Resta...07-Reviews-Hofbrau_Munchen_Berlin-Berlin.html

Soldato
Hope your enjoying the trip, I was there back in July for a week, I can recommend taking a trip up to the top of the Park Inn in Alexanderplatz for sunset, great view from up there, a few Euro to get in and you can buy a beer and watch the city go by and look at the TV Tower!

Or go up the Tv Tower and have a nice cocktail from inside :)

Man of Honour
OP
Or go up the Tv Tower and have a nice cocktail from inside :)

We made our way to go up and then I got distracted by the Mensche Museum, I thought 'I know that name!'.
There were no pictures or anything so looked it up quickly and it was the museum of Gunther Mensche, the guy that cuts up real bodies and plasticines them.
We spent far too long in there and I needed to get to the Ramones Museum and Wall Museum.

Man of Honour
OP
Where are you staying?

I'm back home.
We were at the Melia Berlin which was surrounded by Restaurants but within 100 yards was a Murphy's Bar where we went after a meal and got very drunk while listening to live music three nights on the trot.
We decided to do the City Sightseeing Coach Tour which did 3 alternative routes and then we got off at different places.
My highlights were the Wall Museum where the longest piece of wall still stands - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5...wHdVosBAqsc_pIhJzWnw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
and just round the corner was The Ramones Museum.

Associate
Hofbraeu is a Munich beer - that's a bit like going to a Newcastle Brown Ale pub in London. ;)

(Although Munich beer is better than any Berlin beer in my opinion!)

That's all I drank in Berlin, Bavarian wheat beers... Schneider Weisse being one of them... my fave no.1 beer. ;) If you get a chance try the Tap 6 from Schneider Weisse. I could move to Munich and be very happy there. Great people, great city(in fact great country all together), great food and of course FANTASTIC beer. Only downside, its not cheap to live there!

Back
Top Bottom