** NHL & Ice Hockey Discussion **

Associate
The Stanley Cup Playoffs are looking very interesting at the moment and I'm also quite keen to see how the World Championship turns out next month. Sweden have got quite a strong team already with a lot of good defensemen from the NHL, and very allround defensemen as well.
Unfortunately my Red Wings did finally miss the playoffs but it is time for a rebuild. Looking forward to next season as I hope some of the youngsters will take another step forward, AA, Mantha and Larkin is looking really promising and Bertuzzi might be given more chances as well.
Just think we need to renew the defense as well.

And a little fun fact, I come from the same town as the swedish legend Niklas Lidstrom, and my dad grew up on the same street as him.

Associate
At least you got into the playoffs ;) I'm just a bit surprised how well some teams have done, specially Edmonton, but also Nashville. Will be an interesting series between Pens and Caps though

Associate
As I understand it it might actually be a week or two before the Vegas roster is sorted as it seems that a lot of trades have been lined up as well. So several players will be picked just to be shipped off somewhere else. Islanders seemed to have done some sort of trade with Vegas that brought a first round pick in this years draft, a second round pick in 2019 and Jack Bishoff and Mikhail Grabhovski to Vegas.
James Neal got picked by Vegas too.

Associate
So this is the initial draft:

Forwards

Arizona: Teemu Pulkkinen
Buffalo: William Carrier
Carolina: Connor Brickley
Columbus: William Karlsson
Detroit: Tomáš Nosek
Dallas: Cody Eakin
Florida: Jonathan Marchessault
Minnesota: Erik Haula
Nashville: James Neal
NY Rangers: Oscar Lindberg
Philadelphia: Pierre-Édouard Bellemare
St. Louis: David Perron
Toronto: Brendan Leipsic
Winnipeg: Chris Thorburn

Defence

Anaheim: Clayton Stoner
Boston: Colin Miller
Calgary - Deryk Engelland
Chicago: Trevor van Riemsdyk
Edmonton: Griffin Reinhart
Los Angeles: Brayden McNabb
Montreal: Alexei Emelin
New Jersey: Jon Merrill
Ottawa: Marc Methot
San Jose: David Schlemko
Tampa Bay - Jason Garrison
Vancouver: Luca Sbisa
Washington: Nate Schmidt

Goaltender

Colorado: Calvin Pickard
Islanders - Jean-François Bérubé
Pittsburgh: Marc-André Fleury

(Currently via trades)
Forward Alex Tuch
Forward Reilly Smith
Forward Nikita Gusev
Forward Mikhail Grabovski
Forward David Clarkson
Defenceman Shea Theodore
Defenceman Jake Bischoff

Islanders' 2017 1st round pick
Winnipeg's 2017 1st round pick
Tampa Bay's 2017 2nd round pick
Columbus' 2019 2nd round pick
Islanders' 2019 2nd round pick
Pittsburgh's 2020 2nd round pick
Winnipeg's 2019 3rd round pick
Tampa Bay's 2018 4th round pick
Carolina's 2017 5th round pick
Buffalo's 2017 6th round pick

Let's see what the other trades and free agency bring.

Last edited:
Associate
Some interesting trades been going on today, Hjalmarsson from Chicago went to Arizona, Panarin from Chicago to Columbus against Saad and Raanta from Rangers went to Arizona.

Associate
Aaaah, the NHL is finally up and running. Got some good games already and some crazy results (Chicago beat Pittsburgh with 10-1!!). My Red Wings did win their first game in the new arena and hopefully they will do better than last year.
And good done to Nottingham, very surprised there. What other teams were there in their group?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
OP
I feel like I need to watch a Vegas game. Anybody been following them can offer an objective overview of their performances?

Soldato
Never watched or played hockey before. My only experience of hockey comes from the films Goon and playing some hockey games with mates when i was a kid. I decided to purchase some tickets to my local team's game next week: Guildford flames vs Edinburgh Capitals. Going with 5 of my mates who have seen just two games between them. Should be a good laugh and an excuse to get drunk before the night gets going at the very least.

Soldato
Never watched or played hockey before. My only experience of hockey comes from the films Goon and playing some hockey games with mates when i was a kid. I decided to purchase some tickets to my local team's game next week: Guildford flames vs Edinburgh Capitals. Going with 5 of my mates who have seen just two games between them. Should be a good laugh and an excuse to get drunk before the night gets going at the very least.

Flames are pretty decent to watch, haven't seem them this year but we went last year and it was pretty good.

Ducks doing their usual start to the season, although with the injuries we've had we haven't done too badly!

Soldato
I feel like I need to watch a Vegas game. Anybody been following them can offer an objective overview of their performances?

We're in Vegas in end of Feb so going to see if they have any home games, went to watch Rangers v Islanders a couple of years ago when we were in NYC

Associate

General consensus is that their overachieving and won't be able to keep it up, although that's been said since week 3.

If they can still keep winning with their 5th tier goalie, then they must be doing something right. Maybe it's MAF's outlook (like Jagr seems to have pulled Calgary together) and a "we're all in this together after not being protected by our teams" attitude has really gelled the locker room and got them playing as a team rather than a handful of stars.

Soldato
General consensus is that their overachieving and won't be able to keep it up, although that's been said since week 3.

If they can still keep winning with their 5th tier goalie, then they must be doing something right. Maybe it's MAF's outlook (like Jagr seems to have pulled Calgary together) and a "we're all in this together after not being protected by our teams" attitude has really gelled the locker room and got them playing as a team rather than a handful of stars.

They play very aggressive from what I saw against the Ducks, did let 2 goals in but then we chocked a bit and lost 2 - 4. I think we will have to see how they fair at the end of the season, hopefully the ducks will have a full roster by then at least!

Back
Top Bottom