Stay 65" or go 75" shortlist of 3

Soldato
So, might be jumping the gun a bit here but I could well be in the market for a new TV. My 64F8500 bit the dust last weekend and is still under warranty with John Lewis. If it can't be repaired I will have to negotiate a replacement with John Lewis.

Assuming they offer the purchase price of the F8500 against a new one (I'm not completely convinced they'll just roll over and give me £2,500 off another TV but we'll see). I have 3 I'm interested in.

https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-oled65...n-metal-design-crescent-stand-silver/p3188410

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-brav...tv-75-with-freeview-hd-youview-black/p3204208

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-u...360-design-silver-ultra-hd-certified/p3226680

The LG is 65" and OLED. The others are 75" and LCD. Sit just over 4m away from the screen.

I'm guessing the OLED would offer a better image. Coming from a plasma, I'm quite keen on preserving quality rather than risking going bigger and sacrificing image quality.

Caporegime
I’m planning on getting a 65” OLED over a 75” LCD.

PQ over size IMO.

And OLED really isn’t in its infancy any more. It’s been out for a decade and mass produced for about 3-4 years now.

Soldato
I bought the Sony A1 65 inch OLED however, after a demo of the current sony 75 inch LCD flagship I would go for the 75 inch LCD, if I had the space. Which I do not.

If you have room for the 75 inch Sony I would go for that instead. Great picture and great VFM, I was blown away by it :)

I am perfectly happy with the Sony A1 however the motion resolution is where I am looking for improvements from the 2018 Sony sets which will have an all-new OLED panel from LG.

Caporegime
what is OLED's position now in regards to brightness and HDR? Is LCD still king?

I have owned several panasonic plasma's and decent models too PZ85B, GT50 as well as a top end Samsung plasma 51" D8000 (iirc). I moved to an LG 4K HDR LCD with a glass front panel. Which i think is key here as plasmas have glass front panels too and tbh I can't fault it.

It all depends on the LCD and how well built it is. But you can get some cracking LCD's and I think size does make the biggest difference too. So I would need to look at both in front of me then make a decision that way. People dismissing LCD just because it's LCD need to realise some modern ones are great. Not all of them but some are.

Soldato
OP
what is OLED's position now in regards to brightness and HDR? Is LCD still king?

This is a question of mine too. I've read the colours of OLED being quite muted. My only outlet to view TVs in the wild is Currys which isn't the best - we have like a backwater Currys so I'll put money on them not having any of the shortlist available.

We'll probably do a Cardiff run before Xmas so I'll have a look in the John Lewis. It will probably take a while to get the final verdict on the F8500 anyway.

Associate
This is a question of mine too. I've read the colours of OLED being quite muted. My only outlet to view TVs in the wild is Currys which isn't the best - we have like a backwater Currys so I'll put money on them not having any of the shortlist available.

We'll probably do a Cardiff run before Xmas so I'll have a look in the John Lewis. It will probably take a while to get the final verdict on the F8500 anyway.
One thing that will affect how OLED's look in person is the very bright lights they have in Currys/John Lewis. This makes the OLED colours look flat compared to QLED, as the OLED has lower brightness and is slightly 'washed out' by the overhead lights.

But when in a darker (more realistic) environment, like a living room, the OLED's colours look much better. Try Richersounds, they might have a more accurate 'preview' room for TVs.

Associate

The colours produced by an OLED are incredible. I watched Lego Batman on 4K HDR Blu Ray last night, the picture was phenomenal, the colours had such depth and brightness to them. Muted is literally the exact opposite of what you get. OLED TVs generally look worse than LED in the showroom, however, get it home and it will destroy an LED TV.

Back
Top Bottom