Road Cycling

Soldato
Coming a cropper 101 :D
You forgot the first step. Decide to take a turn and extend the ride instead of the original plan of going straight on! :(

Ouch! Hope the rash isn't too bad and nothing else comes to light overnight. Heal up! Tape looks intact? Pictures on your strava ride are hilarious! :o

Tape is fine but it's fairly cheap Lifeline performance tape so hasn't come off so well.. Needs to come off for new shifter to go on. I quite like the tape though. Cube stopped selling the red/black two tone and besides Supacaz £30+ they're the only one I found. Plenty comfy for me and grippy!

Soldato
Soldato
"Wife spiked my smoothie" claimed 60-year-old time trial rider banned for doping

Kind of want this to be a true excuse... It's probably true she was tired of him complaining about his power to weight ratio though! :D

[taunt]That had to hurt!

Medic![/taunt]

Hope the bike is OK... And you, but mainly the bike. ;)

Ha. I haven't played TF2 in years! Took a bit of time to get that reference.

Bike seems good besides the two-piece shifter from a rough inspection. Left side is best side to slide.

Caporegime
Bike seems good besides the two-piece shifter from a rough inspection. Left side is best side to slide.
The one time I've gone sliding (on ice) I did it on the right side, but fortunately it was my single speed bike, so no derailleur or shifter to mangle, just scratches on the brake lever and the pedal.

Last edited:
Soldato
Eugh holiday is almost over. No more 25c + days and clear blue skies. Cold misery awaits. Least I'll have a lot more insulation from the copious food I've eaten stateside. Only rodea bike once since I've been here.. And it was a boardwalk thing... Will jump back in by racing cx tomorrow 7 hours after I land.

Caporegime
Bit of a challenge this morning. I'm going back to my old job in Manchester city centre in January. I rode in for a few months on a geared bike, but now I'm going back I want to see whether I can do it on my single speed bike. The ride in is fine, as it's a net downhill, but the return leg is harder work, with some bits getting up to 9%. It's a bit heavy going on the single speed bike, but I managed it, hurrah. It's currently geared at 42*17, but I might switch to an 18 on the back just to give myself a bit more room.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another 3 hours out in the ice this Sunday! Two relatively sober weekends with longer rides ftw.

Bought some 6600 ultegra levers for £20, stuck a cassette and chain that were lying around the shop on so now I have 10 working gears that work well. I was 3 clicks to go up from my 9th gear on the old ones and then on a climb it would slip between gears.

Soldato
Berger - I ended up going with the Vulcanised rubber one - love it. If the person keeps their bike outside at all it'll fair better in the long-run than the leather version.

Soldato
Welp, listed my bike up on the bay/usual places. Be sad to see it go, but won't be used too much over next couple of months and need the cash!

Soldato
Left side is best side to slide.
The couple of proper falls I've had have all been right side (ice outside work & greasy road at speed). Teach me how to fall left please! ;) :p
dropped the pinch plate for one of my brake calipers down the decking. Good work me!
Doh! I dropped the wavy washer from my cranks between some decking the night before my biggest ride in 2015. As far as I know it's still there as I couldn't get the screws undone to retrieve it. Trashed a chain and rode without extremes of my cassette for 56 miles. I was never quite able to source a perfect replacement! :o
Bit of a challenge this morning. I'm going back to my old job in Manchester city centre in January. I rode in for a few months on a geared bike, but now I'm going back I want to see whether I can do it on my single speed bike. The ride in is fine, as it's a net downhill, but the return leg is harder work, with some bits getting up to 9%. It's a bit heavy going on the single speed bike, but I managed it, hurrah. It's currently geared at 42*17, but I might switch to an 18 on the back just to give myself a bit more room.
Downhill on the way in = never run late for work! :D

Just some good training on the way home in the evenings... ;)
Got under less than half price rrp for mine on eBay :(

Settles a bill and clears money for moving house soon.
Dangerous game that... You need to do like I did - Moved house & fixed mortgage for 5 years, moved house 4 years later, bought a bike, refixed mortgage for 10 years at preferable lower rate without option to pay a lump sum. Savings = intact! :D
Will jump back in by racing cx tomorrow 7 hours after I land.
Brutal! Cold enough for you?! -2 here this morning! Brr! :o

Did my first 'club'/social ride on saturday since baby arrival. Pouring rain and constant headwind with only 3 of us out made it a bit of a sobering experience. I was already at quite high mileage for the week (151) so just enjoyed the camaraderie and social aspect of things rather than pushing the pace or myself. Was still utterly empty by Weobley and couldn't hold wheels on the run back towards home. Possibly a bonk, it's been a while since I had one but I didn't feel as bad as I remember feeling previously. Just no power! 200W feeling like threshold! :o :D

Changed my RD, chain & cassette from 105 to Ultegra on sunday. Smooooth!

Last edited:
Soldato
The couple of proper falls I've had have all been right side (ice outside work & greasy road at speed). Teach me how to fall left please! ;) :p
Find a left hand bend with some oil/white paint/whatever and corner like it's dry! :D

Changed my RD, chain & cassette from 105 to Ultegra on sunday. Smooooth!
There's actually that much noticeable difference? Perhaps more new vs old?

Soldato
;) :p
Doh! I dropped the wavy washer from my cranks between some decking the night before my biggest ride in 2015. As far as I know it's still there as I couldn't get the screws undone to retrieve it. Trashed a chain and rode without extremes of my cassette for 56 miles. I was never quite able to source a perfect replacement! :o

Housemate knocks holes in buildings for a living so he comes equipped with a monster Makita drill. That got the buggers out

Soldato
There's actually that much noticeable difference? Perhaps more new vs old?
Oh Definitely new vs old, the 5800 RD is also the one I've fallen on a couple of times! ;)

Once I considered how rough my 105 one was looking (and the tension pulley looking quite worn) it was an easy choice to buy the Ultegra RD for £42. Prices have gone up since due to EURO exchange, even with new Ultegra out.

Cassette was probably the main cause of my noisy drivechain, I have a feeling it's the original from my Giant so had done 8000+ miles (& probably seen 4 chains).

Housemate knocks holes in buildings for a living so he comes equipped with a monster Makita drill. That got the buggers out
Ha, the screws on my decking although only ~12 months old where cheap wooden ones and obviously not galvanised as they'd rusted loads! :o

I'm back to looking at wheelsets, handily Wiggle have the Zipp Course 30 wheelset at 18% off so down to £650. Previously to get it anywhere below 700 I had to buy the front and rear from different places! One of the guys previously at my LBS had said that their deal with Zipp meant they could match any online prices as Zipp would still honour their margin on them. Gonna email them while they're in stock and cross my fingers! ;)

Had an agreement with her indoors to wait until mini^me was here... Really do need to also flog lots of old/big clothing over the next few weeks to keep her on side... :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom