• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
This isn't good, I'm now getting iMessage text messages from customers coming through to my laptop and watch, but 40 minutes later the same message still hasn't appeared in the Messages app on my X. That's kind of the most important place for it to appear :-/

Even after a restart of the phone it hasn't appeared. That's a bit concerning for someone that takes text message enquiries on my phone. I can't say I've ever noticed that ever happen before.
I know the 11.2 beta has bad notifications being delayed, not using that are you?

Soldato
No, but their quote about fingerprint still being the best type of biometric security is interesting.

Not sure I agree. Surely a 4 digit passcode is easier to crack than recreating my face / fingerprints?

Whoever steals my phone is going to have to be pretty determined to take me hostage in order to use my fingerprints / scan my face.

From a ease of use perspective, Face ID makes unlocking pretty seemless, which is a bigger advantage than any extra n'th degree of security.

Soldato
I have Spotify just because it was there first. Would lose all my own created playlists etc. if I moved over.

Is Apple Music that good? Spotify does have good curated playlists as well.
Curated ? As in picked and auto updated by Apple weekly ? Yeah there’s loads of good playlists that auto update with new music etc.

My mates swear by Spotify. But I just feel the app isn’t as good or fluid as the apple app.

Soldato
They both annoy me because it's not easy to find and delete a song from a playlist while playing.

I should just be able to press a button while it's playing and then select the playlist I want to remove it from goddammit!

Anyway, back on topic....

Associate
Or any Qi fast charge mat, of which there are many under £20.

Source
There is some confusion over exactly what Qi charging accessories can go above the 5w charging speeds. Apple currently sells Qi charging pads from Belkin and Mophie. According to both of those manufacturers, only companies that partner with Apple (like them) will be able to be certified and have their Qi chargers take advantage of the 7.5w power output.

7.5w is an officially supported mode for Qi chargers by the Wireless Power Consortium but it appears Apple is using hardware identifiers to restrict access to accessories that it vets.

As to why Apple is being so restrictive, only they really know but their marketing for the high-speed wireless charging feature on the Mophie and Belkin Apple Store product pages may yield the answer. Apple writes that they use ‘Qi wireless technology to deliver safe, quick-charging speeds’.

The implication is that other Qi chargers on the market are not safe enough to deliver wireless power above 5 watts. Apple has previously come under fire for the dangers posed by fake Apple chargers, so there is some precedent for them to be cautious here.

Apple may quickly approve many more Qi chargers to enable the 7.5w speeds on more than two products, after iOS 11.2 comes out. Both Belkin and Mophie firmly believe only their accessories will support 7.5w on iPhones at launch.

I'm guessing this will likely change, maybe not for the release of 11.2

Don
I have Spotify just because it was there first. Would lose all my own created playlists etc. if I moved over.

Is Apple Music that good? Spotify does have good curated playlists as well.

Don't do it.
I started with Spotify and then moved to Google Play Music. I then went over to Apple Music on release and have recently moved back to Spotify.
If you like to play music on PCs and Macs randomly then Apple Music is useless because you have to install iTunes to use it whereas Spotify has an excellent web player. Also, if you have an Amazon Alexa then it can deal with Spotify, it cannot deal with Apple Music.
I find Spotify just easier to use too.

Spotify Beta already supports iPhone X so it won't be long before the release version does too.

Back
Top Bottom