Marvel's The Punisher

Soldato
I'm really glad this turned out good, as it was starting to feel as though the Marvel/Netflix stuff had gone rotten.

A couple of gripes:

I'll have to rewatch it, but it feels to me like Frank has been dumbed down for this series, in comparison to his portrayal in DD S2. I guess they did this to make room for David Lieberman, so they could do the whole smart hacker/dumb grunt thing.

Billy Russo's ending felt inconsistent with his character to me. He suddenly flipped from reasonable to demented the moment he realised the game was up. If he was worried Frank would hunt him down, he had every opportunity to kill Frank in the basement. If he wasn't, why not just leave? He clearly had the means to disappear. The whole "vengeance" thing just felt out of character.

And lastly, not a gripe, but I'd like to see Season 2 move away from the story of Frank losing his family and seeking revenge. Having gone with that tale for his role in DD S2 and now The Punisher S1, it's time to do something different. He needs new motivations

Soldato
I'm really glad this turned out good, as it was starting to feel as though the Marvel/Netflix stuff had gone rotten.

A couple of gripes:

I'll have to rewatch it, but it feels to me like Frank has been dumbed down for this series, in comparison to his portrayal in DD S2. I guess they did this to make room for David Lieberman, so they could do the whole smart hacker/dumb grunt thing.

Billy Russo's ending felt inconsistent with his character to me. He suddenly flipped from reasonable to demented the moment he realised the game was up. If he was worried Frank would hunt him down, he had every opportunity to kill Frank in the basement. If he wasn't, why not just leave? He clearly had the means to disappear. The whole "vengeance" thing just felt out of character.

And lastly, not a gripe, but I'd like to see Season 2 move away from the story of Frank losing his family and seeking revenge. Having gone with that tale for his role in DD S2 and now The Punisher S1, it's time to do something different. He needs new motivations

I also felt it was a little inconsistent with its vagueness on who's he able to kill. Seemed torn between not killing military or civilians, but seemed fine to killed hired mercinaries who are just paid civilians. Couldn't quite work out why he deemed some to deserve to die when they were just working a job for Russo.

Soldato
I also felt it was a little inconsistent with its vagueness on who's he able to kill. Seemed torn between not killing military or civilians, but seemed fine to killed hired mercinaries who are just paid civilians. Couldn't quite work out why he deemed some to deserve to die when they were just working a job for Russo.

Yeah, that did grate on me too. I'd forgotten about that. I guess it's all about affiliation, and where Frank chooses to attribute blame for the death of his family.

I think if they're actively trying to kill him then they're fair game...

They literally tackled this directly in the show. He wasn't prepared to kill soldiers. Ex-soldiers on private payroll, on the other hand, seem to deserve death regardless of necessity.

Associate

I missed this short film, thank you for posting. Just reaffirmed as you mentioned, that Jane's Punisher was pretty good!

I'm not really into films of comic book character films; as they are usually OTT CGI fests that you see when watching The Wolverine etc, hence my bias!

Nonetheless, will give the Netflix series a watch.

Man of Honour
I was quite bored in the middle, actually bored most ignored it, there wasn’t enough punishing from the punisher.

I was never bored but it definitely needed at least one more good spree (basically an episode dedicated to) of punishing to make it a truly great show.

Soldato
I was quite bored in the middle, actually bored most ignored it, there wasn’t enough punishing from the punisher.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I checked this thread last week and everyone was praising how awesome it was all throughout. To me there was far too much of him going back and forth to the Liebermann family, along with what I felt was pointless filler that didn't really bring much to the story. It just kept going on and on, and the action was a bit lacking during some of these filler episodes. I was disappointed that it wasn't until near the end of the series where he then goes full-on Punisher, especially after the show's introduction sequence.

I also thought that the plot with Lewis dragged on for too long and was predictable as well.

That said, I enjoyed the show overall, but I really hope that the next season is full-on action all the way through!

Associate
I did find the 2nd amendment stuff massively overdone, but then again it is the Punisher. The only gun-control guy turned out to be a cowardly senator and I didn't really expect Karen to become the unofficial NRA spokesperson of the year.

A lot of it was quite tedious, especially the little ****** with PTSD turning terrorist. I can see what they were trying to do but they should have found an actor with the range to make him sympathetic but somehow ended up with an irritating tool that needed a damn good pasting.

I did like the scene in the forest against the kill squad, novel use of a consumer grade drone by Micro.

Back
Top Bottom