opinions on Super Duke R vs Tuono v4 1100?

Soldato
Interested on your opinions of the super duke R vs Tuono v4 1100 from those who've ridden both. I know a few of you have them and would love to hear why you decided on one over the other.

I'm looking at potentially getting one of the two next year (currently have a 2013 street triple R), and have looked at lots and lots of comparions and youtube comparisons etc, but always good to get more opinions. I'll arrange test rides but probably too late in the year for that right now...

Man of Honour
They're both class leading machines, you really can't go wrong with either one.

Test ride them both and buy whichever one made you smile more.

I owned a V4 1100 Factory and have ridden a 1290 twice if that makes any difference.

Soldato
Preferred the Duke to the Tuono . Even though i had my heart set on the Tuono . Although still massively quick the Tuono seemed watered down from the first V4 . Also the bars were to low (for me) Still love them ... BUT . The Duke was a hoot .. loads of power . Good noise but i dunno .. there was just something i didnt like but cant really put my finger on it . And the pricing structure was crap . Having to unlock all the options given they were already fitted was a poor show imho .
I ended up getting a MT10sp . Didnt think i would get another IL4 But ticked all the boxes and very happy with it .

Best go ride them all and see what suits

Soldato
Ridden both a fair bit, both fantastic in their own right, the Ape felt exactly as i thought it would being very fast and capable in the corners, far more sporty ride compared to the Duke R.

Duke (2017) is just a bonkers ride, more comfortable than the Tuono as your not leaned over quite as much, savage power and torque, a true hooligan bike, KTM are doing fantastic deals too at the moment, i spec'd pretty much everything i could from the powerparts cat,, full akra, all the electronics packages and cosmetic bits, and both dealers i tried would do me the bike for 14k flat.

Soldato
14k with all the options is a corking deal

Incredible considering the parts i'd added amounted to around 20K if i remember right, it was literally everything, Fowlers in Bristol and a KTM dealer back home in Wales both offered the same.

Sadly although the bike was amazing, i choose to go with the R1, i don't regret it, if i had the cash for two bikes, a Duke R would be in the garage too for sure.

Associate
Owned both, currently still running a Tuono 1100 Factory. Love both bikes, but personally prefer the Aprilia. Noise, feel, handling, looks, character etc.

The KTM handled commuting through traffic with more composure, throttle was sublime, unlike the Aprilia's on/off feel at lower speeds. (Although I have since sorted that but comparing stock bikes).

Even though they are compared in the 'Super Naked' class, the pair of them couldn't be more different. One is a big engined Super Moto, the other is a flat barred superbike.

You have to ride both to see which flavour you prefer, as much as I loved the bonkers KTM, I prefer the razor sharp handling and V4 soundtrack.

Put it this way, you won't be wearing either's front tyre out in a hurry ;)

Soldato
Having ridden both the Superduke was my choice. Better more comfortable upright position and a true do it all machine with the technology and features to boot.

The Tuono is a glorious bike however and was absolutely sexual - the noise is indescribable.

Really quite different machines and hard to draw direct comparisons. As has been stated - SDR is a built from the ground up super naked. The Tuono is a supersports with flat bars.

Man of Honour
Really quite different machines and hard to draw direct comparisons. As has been stated - SDR is a built from the ground up super naked. The Tuono is a supersports with flat bars.

The SDR is the only true super naked in that respect. The others are all modified sports bikes, even the MT-10.

Soldato
I'd say intended use will be the deciding factor. If you want something for summer weekends and the odd trackday, and posing down at the local bike cafe, get the Aprilia.

If you want to do all the above AND do some touring, long trips and a week or 2 in the Alps, get the duke.

Soldato
OP
I'd say intended use will be the deciding factor. If you want something for summer weekends and the odd trackday, and posing down at the local bike cafe, get the Aprilia.

If you want to do all the above AND do some touring, long trips and a week or 2 in the Alps, get the duke.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Really backs up the idea I had, that the SDR works better as a do-it-all bike (though would want a screen for motorways) and the aprilia is more of a comfortable sportsbike. Will have to try them both and see what fits best I guess.

Why'd you say the ape's for posing at a cafe? Do you mean it's a good-looking bike, or because it's a bit impractical?

Soldato
OP
Incredible considering the parts i'd added amounted to around 20K if i remember right, it was literally everything, Fowlers in Bristol and a KTM dealer back home in Wales both offered the same.

Sadly although the bike was amazing, i choose to go with the R1, i don't regret it, if i had the cash for two bikes, a Duke R would be in the garage too for sure.

How'd you spec them up for that deal - can't see how to do that on their site - did you call and ask what deals they had?

Soldato
Thanks for the replies everyone. Really backs up the idea I had, that the SDR works better as a do-it-all bike (though would want a screen for motorways) and the aprilia is more of a comfortable sportsbike. Will have to try them both and see what fits best I guess.

Why'd you say the ape's for posing at a cafe? Do you mean it's a good-looking bike, or because it's a bit impractical?

Don't put a screen on the SDR. Accept the wind blast a naked comes with, adding a screen will only add turbulence / redirect air onto helmet and be silly noisy.

I did 1,000kms on mine without a screen in Europe and it was more comfortable than my S1000R with a touring screen on.

Associate

The Tuono is more than capable of touring as well as posing, you need to ride both to see which you prefer. They're both stunning looking bikes in their own ways.

Ideally you'd have both in the garage! (which I did for a while :p)

Soldato
It's by far the best looking bike :p

SDR is certainly marmite but I love it!

PSX_20180103_170439.jpg

1290_euro_trip_3.jpg
1290_euro_trip_0.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't put a screen on the SDR. Accept the wind blast a naked comes with, adding a screen will only add turbulence / redirect air onto helmet and be silly noisy.

I did 1,000kms on mine without a screen in Europe and it was more comfortable than my S1000R with a touring screen on.

Quite right, in general it's better to take it spread over chest than just your face.

...wait..

Back
Top Bottom