What watch do you wear?

Associate
What's peoples opinion on Bremont watches? Interested to hear your thoughts.

I tried on the new S301 in the AD the other day and really quite liked it. The quality was there however, I feel they are quite expensive for what they are (the S300/s301 in particular). All of their watches are ETA based, which is fine, but you can get a Tudor Black Bay, which has an in house movement, for about £700 less they look quite expensive. The best advice I can give is to go try one on. I'll probably end up getting one but only because the Tudor is too big for my wrists.

Soldato
I tried on the new S301 in the AD the other day and really quite liked it. The quality was there however, I feel they are quite expensive for what they are (the S300/s301 in particular). All of their watches are ETA based, which is fine, but you can get a Tudor Black Bay, which has an in house movement, for about £700 less they look quite expensive. The best advice I can give is to go try one on. I'll probably end up getting one but only because the Tudor is too big for my wrists.
Just out of interest, why would you choose the in house movement over the ETA? At the price range I'd probably go for a watch with an ETA movement because it will be cheaper to service and maintain as well as being a tried and tested calibre.

Associate
How good is good? Was it a daily wearer? Any dings in the case or heavy scratches? I'd say £1800-£1900 if you want to sell it privately.

One ding in the case, apart from the very normal wear its pretty mint. It had to go back to the place I bought it from a couple months back as the seconds hand was sitting high on the pinion; but since then no problems at all.

Its been my daily wearer in the time I've owned it (a year).

What's your view on going with one of the companies that buy watches (Watchfinder etc.); I've gotten offers of around 1.5K-1.6K but I was thinking to go for it as I'm a little worried about getting scammed when selling privately.

Soldato
One ding in the case, apart from the very normal wear its pretty mint. It had to go back to the place I bought it from a couple months back as the seconds hand was sitting high on the pinion; but since then no problems at all.

Its been my daily wearer in the time I've owned it (a year).

What's your view on going with one of the companies that buy watches (Watchfinder etc.); I've gotten offers of around 1.5K-1.6K but I was thinking to go for it as I'm a little worried about getting scammed when selling privately.
£1.6k is a good offer and if you want minimal hassle then I'd recommend taking it, or at least ringing round to see if anyone can better it.

Associate
Just out of interest, why would you choose the in house movement over the ETA? At the price range I'd probably go for a watch with an ETA movement because it will be cheaper to service and maintain as well as being a tried and tested calibre.

You are correct, the ETA will be cheaper to service. The Tudor movement does have a power reserve of 70 hours which is quite extraordinary. However, i think it is more a value for money thing (£2.7k - Tudor Black Bay vs £3.4k - Bremont S301), I'm not sure what you get for the extra £700. Having said all of this though I still really like the S301, I just need to save up some more money haha.

Soldato
You are correct, the ETA will be cheaper to service. The Tudor movement does have a power reserve of 70 hours which is quite extraordinary. However, i think it is more a value for money thing (£2.7k - Tudor Black Bay vs £3.4k - Bremont S301), I'm not sure what you get for the extra £700. Having said all of this though I still really like the S301, I just need to save up some more money haha.
True that you are getting excellent value for money from the Tudor. However I don't think 70 hour power reserve is really that extraordinary, just a bigger main spring.
The treatment on the Bremont case makes it a lot tougher and resistant to scratching, and it's only the ebauche that is bought in from ETA and then heavily customised by Bremont and COSC certified when completed. Everything else is made in the UK within Bremont manufacturing facilities, which appeals to someone like me who's very much an advocate for British manufacturing and engineering. I think it's much easier for Tudor being vertically integrated into Rolex to be able to produce their own movements and keep costs down.
I think the 301 is a brilliant watch and a masterstroke by Bremont to appeal to a wider market, I doubt you'll be disappointed. They have opened a boutique in London too which is great to visit.

Associate
I am using an Asus Zenwatch 3.

Best looking AW watch for me so far, stylish. But if you ever buy one, DON'T let it update to 2.0 from 1.5 Android wear. Asus messed up the upgrade and the device is very sluggish while before it was awesome. Cannot use ok google now while before i would use it constantly

Soldato
I really like the idea of a Bremont. Would be something I'd like in the collection. I might have a look at some secondhand ones.

I am still wearing my black bay pretty much daily. I love the customised nato I did as well. I had someone comment on the combo the other day while doing some job interview networking, which I was pleased about.

Soldato
I hate wearing watches (well any type of "jewellery" to be fair) but after changing jobs I now have to wear one for work as there's no mobiles allowed (not even flight mode) and I'm working outdoors so no wall clocks either. As a "large" guy (Big Fat F.....ella) most watch straps look very thin on my pudgy wrist so, when I've had to wear watches before, I went with a wide bracelet/cuff style in brown leather like this Kahuna one I bought years ago

watch01.jpg

However that's just died (water ingress - in a sink!) so for a change I've gone for a Casio G-Shock GD-100MS, mainly for it's multiple timezone setting and 5 alarms (moving to Saudi and it's good to know when prayer times are when your out shopping etc).

watch02.jpg

It also seems to fit me really well as I'm one of those awkward buggers that wears the watch with the face on the inside of the wrist, no-idea why other than it slightly more comfortable I suppose.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I have to disagree with panthro. I have a Tudor Pelagos Blue and the in-house movement already has an excellent reputation and the 70 hour power reserve makes a significant difference in convenience to a daily wearer over a 40-hour power reserve. Not to mention it is crazily accurate vs the ETA in my Longines Hydroconquest.

Go with the Tudor in-house, because in addition to the above although yes servicing will be more expensive it will not need regular servicing anyway.

Bremont have no real pedigree vs Tudor imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Today got my ZeTime - got to say I'm impressed, analogue hands, full touchscreen, 3-5 day battery life for smartwatch functions with a 30 day life for the analogue watch function and a wireless charger, with a build in battery so you can charge on the move.

Very nice

Back
Top Bottom