When money exceeds talent

Associate
Not sure why the house owner gave them a cup of tea with an excuse like that, especially as it looks like he took out their hedge lol.

Soldato
i find it amazing people who can afford to buy these cars cant seem to afford to take them to a proper track day where they can do this sort of buffoonery with minimal consequence

Soldato
People buy these cars and think they can handle them at speed, but probably don't have the talent to even push an MX-5 to it's limit.

Soldato
OP
I know this roundabout very well, the right turn lane has very deep troughs cut by the number of vehicles going that way, if you try to take the racing line the car gets thrown all over the place even at quite legal speeds, experienced drivers take the outside (correct straight ahead) lane which is like a billiard table. I suspect he was going too fast on the "racing" line and it bit him in the butt.

Soldato
http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/news/bath-news/ferrari-worth-200000-crashes-garden-1021566

Happened on my commute route

Damn those sticky accelerators are costly ;)

:D

First comment is from "the driver"

For the record and for the great journalism here with the sarcastic "lost control" inverted comas I will tell you exactly what happened as I was the driver ...
I approached the rouandabout and applied the brake the car immediately applied full power and no matter how much I stamped on the brake the car would not slow down and the brakes would not hold it back. I had no chance to turn the key off as the roundabout was looming rapidly .... TBh it was the most horrific experience ever, The car has now gone back to Ferrari for full investigation and they will be keen to find out what went wrong with the car. As usual people and journalist like this writer jump to conclusions .......... the car had a major and seriously dangerous fault. Luckily for me a witness heard and saw the whole incident and confirmed to the police the car was reving uncontrollably with full brake light on hence no action was taken against me.

:p

Soldato
tbh who wouldn't have **** themselves if their Ferrari applied full throttle entering a roundabou

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
lol

I had the accelerator stuck under the car mat a couple of times before I got the clips to clip them in. Pretty scary lol. luckily it was a manual, could have been hairy in an auto.

Soldato
Porsche probably did their whole 'pull both paddles together to go into neutral' for this very reason.

For the brakes, I would have expected them to slow the car a lot if not stop it, but then that is all dependant on how fast he was going, how long before applying the brakes, road position, etc.

Soldato
Porsche probably did their whole 'pull both paddles together to go into neutral' for this very reason.

For the brakes, I would have expected them to slow the car a lot if not stop it, but then that is all dependant on how fast he was going, how long before applying the brakes, road position, etc.

You can bring any car to a complete stop, with the brakes, if the throttle is jammed open. It'll take longer, obviously, but even overpowered stuff will eventually succumb to the brakes. Many modern cars cut the power automatically if you touch the brakes, anyway (much to the annoyance of some).

If you're standing on the accelerator, however, when you think you're standing on the brakes... not going to help :D

Soldato
He might be telling the truth. I've seen a similar thing happen to a work colleague (though not with a Ferrari). It was caused by the battery dying just at the moment he was accelerating, for some reason the car got "stuck" in that state. He was lucky it was a manual and he could just roll it to a stop in neutral.

Back
Top Bottom