When money exceeds talent

Soldato
Hmm.. brakes full on should be able to stop him surely?

indeed, at least enough to give him time to think of things to do.

manual/auto hit it into neutral, sequential you could go up the gears to give the engine a mechanical disadvantage.

sounds to me like he pushed it too far, binned it and knows that by claiming stuck throttle this story will have dropped away by the time anyone has any proof to call him on it.

lol

I had the accelerator stuck under the car mat a couple of times before I got the clips to clip them in. Pretty scary lol. luckily it was a manual, could have been hairy in an auto.

I had similar, first car.

A can of deicer that was supposed to be in the rear footwell ended up in the front
Went behind the brake pedal. Luckily handbrake and manual meant all ended well, but when you go to press a pedal and it doesn't work as intended its a heart in mount moment!

Associate
Soldato
OP
Associate

In that video it shows the car slowing quite effectively when he presses the brake. He claims that the car won't stop but it sure looks to me like it could.

If I can refer you back the the Car & Driver and Revisionist links where they absolutely did stop.

"We included the powerful Roush Mustang to test—in the extreme—the theory that “brakes are stronger than the engine.” From 70 mph, the Roush’s brakes were still resolutely king even though a pinned throttle added 80 feet to its stopping distance. However, from 100 mph, it wasn’t clear from behind the wheel that the Mustang was going to stop. But after 903 feet—almost three times longer than normal—the 540-hp supercharged Roush finally did succumb, chugging to a stop in a puff of brake smoke."

In that video it shows the car slowing quite effectively when he presses the brake. He claims that the car won't stop but it sure looks to me like it could.

If I can refer you back the the Car & Driver and Revisionist links where they absolutely did stop.

"We included the powerful Roush Mustang to test—in the extreme—the theory that “brakes are stronger than the engine.” From 70 mph, the Roush’s brakes were still resolutely king even though a pinned throttle added 80 feet to its stopping distance. However, from 100 mph, it wasn’t clear from behind the wheel that the Mustang was going to stop. But after 903 feet—almost three times longer than normal—the 540-hp supercharged Roush finally did succumb, chugging to a stop in a puff of brake smoke."

Cripes that is some braking distance. Makes you think if the brakes are not in very good condition, such as heading towards replacement due to wear if they would function well enough to actually stop it.

Associate
Cripes that is some braking distance. Makes you think if the brakes are not in very good condition, such as heading towards replacement due to wear if they would function well enough to actually stop it.

I think the brakes should always win. For the engine to win would imply that the car can accelerate more quickly than it can decelerate, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a car that can do that.

Soldato
I think the brakes should always win. For the engine to win would imply that the car can accelerate more quickly than it can decelerate, and I'm pretty sure there isn't a car that can do that.

i reckon it's more a gearing thing, in lower gears the engine might just have a chance, hence the thing to do is to get it into a higher gear to reduce the applied wheel torque. (plus if the gearbox has a safety net to stop you dropping into too low a gear for the speed then it'll still let you try and lug 6th at lower speeds)

Soldato
My old boss bought an Audi R8 because he likes showing how rich he is... It's never been above 70mph.

It's all about the status symbol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

EVENTUALLY they will win, but will you survive the slowing process with 562bhp fighting you when it happens at your usual braking point? This guy wasn't on a straight airfield/road he was braking into a roundabout, it wasn't a hypothetical "can the brakes eventually win" it was can they stop you BEFORE you crash, and in this scenario, they wouldn't (and may not have actually according to the driver). The point was shown in the video I linked that it did slow you, but not effectively and there are far better ways to stop the car quickly.

Soldato
EVENTUALLY they will win, but will you survive the slowing process with 562bhp fighting you when it happens at your usual braking point? This guy wasn't on a straight airfield/road he was braking into a roundabout, it wasn't a hypothetical "can the brakes eventually win" it was can they stop you BEFORE you crash, and in this scenario, they wouldn't (and may not have actually according to the driver). The point was shown in the video I linked that it did slow you, but not effectively and there are far better ways to stop the car quickly.
A hedge and bins apparently:D.

Soldato
1.Brake
2.Put in neutral
3.Kill the ignition

Generally speaking. Though killing ignition will also kill any electronic aids I assume.

On a bike you can just hit the kill switch, brake and pray.

Back
Top Bottom