£3,000 to spend on new developer PC

Soldato
Biggest decision will be the case because I want as small a case as possible that I can hide under a desk. Thinking probably a Fractal Design Define C or something like that?

Fractal design cases are great - have you considered a Micro build around the Mini C?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,576.35 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Associate
OP
why not go threadripper then?
Because I think that for my programming environment, 70% of the overall performance comes from the single-threaded performance of the CPU (raw clock speed) and then the remaining 30% comes from just having some additional cores available for background tasks. It's not like video encoding or 3d rendering where tasks can be completely parallelised and so the time taken to do a task is directly related to the number of cores available.

I think that plus the I/O performance will have the largest effect on my perception of the performance of the system as a whole.

Soldato
Because I think that for my programming environment, 70% of the overall performance comes from the single-threaded performance of the CPU (raw clock speed) and then the remaining 30% comes from just having some additional cores available for background tasks. It's not like video encoding or 3d rendering where tasks can be completely parallelised and so the time taken to do a task is directly related to the number of cores available.

I think that plus the I/O performance will have the largest effect on my perception of the performance of the system as a whole.

Sounds like Ryzen will be fine for your development work, have you looked at the new Intel 900p U2/M2 480gb drives, look very interesting if storage performance really matters - expensive though.

If you do go TR you will get quad channel memory, and much better IO options, as you get 60 odd lanes of PCIE to use on TR systems. So for example you could use the new Asus Hyper M2 x16 with 4 m2 drives for a storage array for example, and still have capacity for additional GPUs and 10gb networking.

Soldato
Because I think that for my programming environment, 70% of the overall performance comes from the single-threaded performance of the CPU ...I think that plus the I/O performance will have the largest effect...

I'm a little surprised to hear that. Visual studio implies C++ or C#, both of which compile per file then combine the output. I use two e5-2670 and routinely see all 32 threads running flat out. I/O performance makes a big difference here - the build doesn't fit in 128gb of ram any more and dropping down to ssd has added 50% to the build time.

I'm considering an overclocked 7960X as a replacement for the two old xeons. Same core count, higher frequency. Probably less memory bandwidth, though I haven't done the maths. I think that's within budget for you.

Man of Honour
Because I think that for my programming environment, 70% of the overall performance comes from the single-threaded performance of the CPU (raw clock speed) and then the remaining 30% comes from just having some additional cores available for background tasks.
i think i'd stand by my original post then, to wait and see.
with the bugs meltdown/spectre looming overhead for intel (and to a lesser extent, amd), and also ryzen+ coming out in the next couple of months, i don't think there's ever a better time to recommend people to wait! lol

Back
Top Bottom