• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

thoughts on my purchase?

Associate
So, been rocking a 2700k now for a while, and drunkenly purchased an i7 7700k processor and an msi sli z270 plus motherboard as a bundle for 320 quid last night.
Upon realizing this, i just purchased Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 3600mhz from OcUk.

im currently on i7 2700k clocked at 4.5ghz, 16gb hyperx blu ddr3 1600mhz on a gigabyte z68ap-d3, will i notice much difference in performance in things such as video rendering on vegas pro? Games in general?
im jumping a few generations of handware here, not done this much of a jump before.

if this belongs in general handware, then feel free to move it.

Associate
If I was buying new I would go for 16gb as a minimum as it helps give you that extra buffer over 8gb especially when working with large files.

Also there are games that are using more than 8gb at max settings at higher resolutions as well

Soldato
Personally I'd return the cpu and board. Buying a 7700k at this stage is madness. Of course there'll be those that will likely jump in and say it's still a beast for gaming, which it is for the most part, but at this point in time a 6c/12t cpu would be the minimum I would purchase.

Soldato
At the price i went 8700k. No point getting a 7700k.
Also id look into getting a delid tool. My temps was crazy when i checked to see if my cpu worked before deliding. Used a corsair h100 aio and hit top 70s on temps using aida64 stress test. I delided it applied liquid metal but some new thermal paste would be fine too. put it under my watercooled loop and saw temps of around 48 to 50 degrees under load on the same test ohh and 4.7ghz on all cores.

They clock very easily 4.7 -5ghz seems where majoirty of cpus will clock to 5ghz plus is then cpu lotto.

Soldato
2700k overclockget is still a great cpu., Especially overclocked. If I was upgrading I would either go coffeelake or wait a month or so for ryzen refresh.

Soldato
For that price, yes it's still a great cpu and will be noticeably better than your old 2700k, but a 8700k would have been a much bigger improvement for rendering especially. Potentially a ryzen 1700 would suit you if that's your main use and you want to keep the cost down to the same levels as what you just spent. Clock speed will be lower, so for gaming you won't see much of a difference to your 2700k in lightly threaded games.

Soldato
As above, go big or go home in your situation buddy ;)

I'd get shot of the 7700k and get the 8700k if buying right now, or if happy to wait a couple of months take a look at the Ryzen refresh, they might be a bit better than the current Ryzen chips and be closer to Intels performance.

Associate
OP
i see what u are all saying, but even second hand, the 8700k is more than i paid for my bundle even with a second hand chip, pushing me massively over budget, as for ryzen, no thanks, just no thanks, :p

Soldato
Could opt for 8600k or even 8400 least be on new chipsets, either way if your happy it's all that matters it's your money :) I do think your still drunk to think it was a good choice mind :p

Soldato
7700k vs 8600 is actually a fairly even split. I think if AMD wasn't an option then bang for buck he's done the right thing. I would be interested to hear the reasoning behind rejecting Ryzen though, as it would offer vastly superior multithreaded performance for a very similar budget. Fair enough if it's single threaded performance, as the 7700k spanks current Ryzen on that front. I guess it comes down to whether gaming or rendering times is more important

Associate
OP
gaming is defo more important to me, i render some vid files for my youtube account now and again and just used it as an example of something i do from time to time, the reason for not wanting to go AMD, is their memory compatibility issues tbh (direct quote from someone who builds pc's all day everyday, and has a good knowledge of ryzen) it seems as tho its almost hit and miss which memory is compatible, now iv not built many pc's in the past few years, but that sounds like too much of a nightmare for me, hence sticking to intel.

Associate
OP
this is the thing, people keep sayin, ooh yeh upgrade, thats a 350 quid upgrade (second hand) iv spent my money haha, there is no "buy a different cpu" option, also, i cannot just return a cpu to the big auction site when i got a bundle of mobo and cpu

Back
Top Bottom