Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Associate
Good luck - a mate sent a photo today and conditions look good.

Cheers for all the tips again

It's planned next weekend so will have high water shortly after midday and it's only a couple of days off the spring tides so sounds like there'll be a fair old tide running.

You can get 2 knots of tide off Ramsgate in a spring so it's fairly similar - though you're typically in not much more than 10m of water, looking at Brighton looks like it could easily be anywhere between 20 and 50m - so a lot more line out to catch the tide...

Man of Honour
Cheers for all the tips again

It's planned next weekend so will have high water shortly after midday and it's only a couple of days off the spring tides so sounds like there'll be a fair old tide running.

You can get 2 knots of tide off Ramsgate in a spring so it's fairly similar - though you're typically in not much more than 10m of water, looking at Brighton looks like it could easily be anywhere between 20 and 50m - so a lot more line out to catch the tide...

the Wrecks off Brighton that we fish in the summer for Cod are in around 65m of water (~200ft)
iirc they are around 12-17mi from the shore, you might not need to go out that far for winter Pollock?? not sure on that
search for "Brighton Pollock Competition" on youtube and you'l find some info there, theres several videos covering several years of the annual competition

Last edited:
Soldato
What a tough day today!

Out of langstone, steamed east early morning - it was like a scene from perfect storm. Running tide, anchored up I had 36oz of lead on and still the tide pushed it down tide. Roughest i’ve been out in.

The new reel made short work of retrieving the combined weight and a couple of other lines. Even at 100ft!

Later in the day, the conditions calmed.. back down to normal leads and in 80ft and 10 minutes to the end of the day I caught the largest fish of the day for the boat.. a smallish conger eel.

All in it wasn’t a great fish day but did put the new reel through it’s paces. With heavy leads and strong tides, and with conger the new reel didn’t blink.. the folks on the boat were boat owners (small) and one a skipper with two boats.. lots of people with jigging style narrow reels including a Fin-Nor Marquesa. Lots of comments - it’s a shark reel!

Associate
@NickK That sounds like a crazy day, weldone for getting out and the catch :)

This weekend looking a bit hit n miss at the moment, we'll see what the weather looks like closer to the time - hoping it blows itself out by Sunday!

Associate
ahh sucks, XC weather shows the wind ok in the morning but blowing GF 5 gusting to 6 by lunchtime, and gusting to GF 7 by 3pm so the skipper had little choice

I figured odds of getting out were pretty low given the weather over the last week, so wasn't too surprised when the skipper called. Luckily there were some spots free only a couple of weeks away :)

:/ better safe than sorry or not enjoying it!

Couldn't agree more - it's going to get lumpy out there and that's never pleasant :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Awesome! I expect to hear more fishing shinanegins!

been told its being completed tomorrow lunchtime and should get a call saying i can go pick up the keys tomorrow early afternoon :D
going to need to get some waders though as the beach there is very flat, its probably ~200 yards between low and high tide

Associate
One day I'll live by the sea and I'll have fishing boat for when it's nice and a yacht for when it's windy.

Would love to live down in Brighton - could spin for Bass off the beach on a Summers evening after work :cool:

On that note, my fishing trip is scheduled this Sat out of there - weather permitting!! :p

Man of Honour
been told its being completed tomorrow lunchtime and should get a call saying i can go pick up the keys tomorrow early afternoon :D
going to need to get some waders though as the beach there is very flat, its probably ~200 yards between low and high tide

got the keys today :D

gonna be a couple of weeks till ive properly moved in though as the place needs a bit of work done and most importantly Broadband to be hooked up

Last edited:
Soldato
cheers buddy, i'l email you my address once ive actually moved in so you can see where i am, you're welcome to pop over,
its only a ~100 yard walk over the sand dunes to the beach :D

taken from the front window..

Classic :D :D

Will be good to see if the bay land gives you some protection, also offshore there looks like you'll get some protection too!

Associate
Conditions finally eased at the right time for me to head out of Brighton on-board the Brigand.

Headed out to a series of wrecks just out past the wind farm with the aim of drifting for pollack - unfortunately the fish weren't there or just weren't feeding.

Skipper continued to moved us onto other wrecks further out but it was the same story everywhere :confused:

Finally anchored up on slack water and dropped some baits just off a wreck trying to lure out dome conger - couple of hook ups on board but they weren't able to get them up.

Despite the lack of fish was a good day out and very much a learning experience for me. Skipper was good and tried hard to find the fish and the crew were excellent (I keptem busy help me replace all the tackle I was losing on the wrecks :p)

Soldato
Unlucky - a mate was out on saturday and had a few large pollack. Unfortunately I couldn't go :/ so will be a month or two before my next outing :/

Back
Top Bottom