What did you do to your bike today?

Man of Honour
90 would be nice on my R1 :p

MPG went down substantially after tuning!

Yeah, everyone seems to get a lot worse performance after tuning the Yamaha crossplane 998cc engine. Luckily (!) it's banned here so I get no choice with the decat and tuning.

It looks like people report getting 120-140 miles out of a stock MT-10. If so I could live with that, even at the lower end!

Soldato
Yeah, everyone seems to get a lot worse performance after tuning the Yamaha crossplane 998cc engine. Luckily (!) it's banned here so I get no choice with the decat and tuning.

It looks like people report getting 120-140 miles out of a stock MT-10. If so I could live with that, even at the lower end!
I reckon you can add 10-20% on to any mpg figures for bikes due to where you are, but you should really reduce the power by the same amount! :D

I think I was getting over 60mpg one day on my VFR, it's normally 40-45mpg.

Man of Honour
I reckon you can add 10-20% on to any mpg figures for bikes due to where you are, but you should really reduce the power by the same amount! :D

I think I was getting over 60mpg one day on my VFR, it's normally 40-45mpg.

I haven't considered that at all. I don't think I've ever taken my bike below 600m above sea level.

Man of Honour
I have no idea why, totally sucks :( 5000 miles a year as i use it for commuting now, no mods, TPFT, 4years no claims..:rolleyes:
On the plus side you can keep yours the right way up unlike @IC3 :D
ooooh-gif-3.gif

Soldato
Ride with a few guys with new R1 (15+) and MT10s including an SP, we all seem to fill up after roughly the same time when out, around 100 for me and the R1s and 130 for the MTs, that's normally at a decent pace.

It's the same on track, by lunch 12-1 and 4 sessions the tanks are bone dry and all need filling.

MT10 range is pretty decent imho considering the performance on offer, it's also ridiculous fun and would at the moment at least, be where i'd spend my bike on a naked.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
As it turns out it’s more likely to fall over whn i’m Not on it :p
My nearly felt when it was raining, I slide my leg under it and was standing like that for 10 minutes until I figured out how to not fall with the bike. I wish, I had level garden... :(

@tom_e Women eyy... they pull out on you at the least expected moment.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My nearly felt when it was raining, I slide my leg under it and was standing like that for 10 minutes until I figured out how to not fall with the bike. I wish, I had level garden... :(

@tom_e Women eyy... they pull out on you at the least expected moment.
How did you find out what happened in the end?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
How did you find out what happened in the end?
My memory came back, the image isn't clear... But, a car pulled out from a side road last minute and in order to avoid it I swerved right just before there was one of those things in the middle with a kerb. I didn't swerve enough and that's it... Next thing I remember is waking up in intensive care not being able to move. :(

I want to go back on a bike... But, I don't want to comeback on the UK roads, just driving around held back you see so many idiots. 5-6 days ago, 3-4 streets from my house, a guys M3 got written off as some idiot hit it whilst it was parked. Idk how they managed that tbh

Most of the guys from our little group stopped riding on the road whilst I was still in one piece, riding alone was a bit meh and the old guys from the local group did 40 in a 60. Not missing out on anything...

I'm just happy that I didn't gun it, otherwise I wouldn't live to tell the story. But than, going faster does make you concentrate more. I only just realised this whilst driving like a granny... so many things get you distracted whereas when you're on it, its like engaging into a 'monk mode'

Last edited:
Soldato
Gave the CB400 a thorough once over for the last time. Still couldn't see any physical electrical issues, and the problems didn't manifest again, so I'm going to put it down to a water issue and just hope it doesn't repeat. The older tyres are a bit hard in this cold weather though.

The bike takes a good 5 minutes to get up to temperature. It comes off the choke easily enough, but between that and running smoothly there's a real flat spot between around 6k - 9k rpm. It isn't an issue once fully warmed up, so I'm just going to ignore it. Hopefully the challenge weekend will be warm. And dry!

Caporegime
Gave the CB400 a thorough once over for the last time. Still couldn't see any physical electrical issues, and the problems didn't manifest again, so I'm going to put it down to a water issue and just hope it doesn't repeat. The older tyres are a bit hard in this cold weather though.

The bike takes a good 5 minutes to get up to temperature. It comes off the choke easily enough, but between that and running smoothly there's a real flat spot between around 6k - 9k rpm. It isn't an issue once fully warmed up, so I'm just going to ignore it. Hopefully the challenge weekend will be warm. And dry!

Did you remove the box? Does it run without it? Rather curious myself :)

Back
Top Bottom