I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Soldato
Best temps that work for me are 55oC bed, 215oC extruder. Roughly 50mm/s will be a good place to start. Don’t bother with a raft, use a skirt or brim.

I aim for 0.1mm between the bed and the nozzle.

When you’re setting the bed height, don’t do it at the edges, imagine a 150 or 200mm square in the centre of the bed and use the corners of that imaginary square.

I put about 8-10 sheets of 150x150mm foil in the middle of the bed, under the glass. That raises the height in the middle and also gives you a reference point to calibrate all 4 corners.

Print a square shape that’s roughly 150/200mm square and watch the first layer going down, you can then calibrate the bed by eye to get the last bit perfect. I’d recommend printing the oversized adjuster dials to help with this.

If you haven’t already (and assuming your printer didn’t come with one), you 100% need to print off a cable support for the heated bed as they work loose otherwise then snap off.

Also consider going inside the control box and making sure all of the terminals are tight, I’ve seen a few smoky PSUs from loose connections.. so worth checking. Obviously make sure the power is disconnected and don’t attempt if you’re not ok with that sort of thing.

Octoprint and a raspberry pi is quite a cool mod, worth checking out as it lets you print wirelessly and if you have a webcam you can view off your phone in the house or anywhere with a bit of faffage.

Man of Honour
I'm using a Monoprice but those settings seems best for me as well 215C extruder, 55C bed though sometimes I find it best to leave the bed at ambient until the first layer is down then turn it up to 55C not sure why. Likewise I tend to use brim.

I usually print at 40mm/s but that will depend printer to printer and use print cooling on anything with overhangs, etc.

Having a bit of trouble with transparent filament at the moment - on bigger prints the same one edge will lift whatever I do - worse if I adjust it too far up or down but can't seem to get it perfect :( my printer isn't really upto spec for the filament though so might be that - slightly below minimum temperature though I don't think that is actually the problem.

Associate
Ok, so being new to this, are temps set on the control box itself? In the youtube vids I watched nothing was mentioned about altering anything just print the GCode.

A friend has sent me a test print of his to try, will try that later, when back from work.

Matt

Man of Honour
Temperatures (and most other parameters) can be set in the gcode file but if you didn't compile it yourself they might not fit your printer - you can additionally tweak the settings on the fly on the printer depending on the range of options presented and in some cases hook the printer up via USB to a tablet or PC to additionally monitor and change settings that might not be on the built in controls.

Often the gcode file can change settings beyond or in a more advanced manner than the built in controls on the printer can as well i.e. my build plate only goes upto 60C in the menu on it but can be set to 80C via gcode.

Soldato
Ok, so being new to this, are temps set on the control box itself? In the youtube vids I watched nothing was mentioned about altering anything just print the GCode.

A friend has sent me a test print of his to try, will try that later, when back from work.

Matt

Why don't you use something like repetier host? https://www.repetier.com/download-now/ what firmware is you printer using?

You can control everything via a host.

Soldato
Check out MakersMuse new video, lol. I also have something on the way you might be interested in ;).

Are you going to say you have a T-Rex +3 3D printer coming?
Will check out MakersMuse now thanks.

Just watched the video. Very good but I only print in ABS and Nylon\Flexi

Last edited:
Associate
Well used masking tape on bed last night and got first print off, a 2cm cube so very happy now.

It's now time to learn fusion 360, so my next question is what's the process? Draw the object in fusion 360 then what, do I have to convert it to gcode or?

Matt

Man of Honour
Export as STL, import into something like Cura or Repetier to compile gcode (and set printer settings).

Personally I prefer Ultimaker Cura as if you aren't trying something too advanced it tends to de-complicate the process more for producing the gcode file.

Man of Honour
Wondering if anyone knows anything about 3d printing for investment casting.
Something I want to play around with but also use for other things.

There's machinable wax filament/ moldlay which can be melted out at reasonably low temperature.

There's pva filament that can be disolved by water.

But also interested in the moai but what can disolve the resin? (That is easy to get hold off and reasonably safe). Print quality is out of this world and would only need to be a thin outer wall so can't see resin usage being that high.

And what sort of printer would you think would provide good print quality for wax or pva. Was thinking maybe pursa MK3 but can't find much info on these materials and what hot ends etc would be best.

edit - found a water-soluble uv or laser set resin, no uk supplier as far as I can see. emailed manufacture to see what costs are like or if they have suppliers over here.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ouch resin place got back to me, $125 per kg plus shipping from America and of course the import duties and fees. Edit - after some more googling people can't get this resin to work.

Also found a couple of very cheap sla printers

WANHAO DUPLICATOR 7
And

Anycube photon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom