How much fruit do you eat?

Soldato
Also I read that orange and apple juice (100%) are missing the key ingredient that's meant to be healthy, does anyone know.

I don't eat much fruit to be honest, buy a bag of apples and satsumas on a shopping but that's for a month, so maybe one a day for 2 weeks.

Associate
Juice misses the fibre out. So you end up with too much of the bad stuff (sugars) and not enough of the fibre. You do get the Vitamins etc. The recommendation IIRC is no more than 200ml of juice per day.

FWIW I have either 200ml of Orange juice or a home made fruit smoothie (which includes apple juice) every day and then 2 apples.

Fruit is good for you in the right way and amount. Vegetables are in some ways better as you can eat as much as you like of those.

Soldato
At least a banana every day for breakfast. But fruit can be quite pricey. I like the easy peelers from Sainsburys, and pink lady apples. But other than that, it's too expensive.

Easy Peelers and Pink Ladies for me as well. During the working week I have 1 of each every day, weekend tend to forget to eat fruit :/.

During the summer we will usually have a strawberry, raspberry, blueberry medley as a pudding in the evening and every now and again will make a big fruit salad we eat over a couple of days.

Soldato
Easy Peelers and Pink Ladies for me as well. During the working week I have 1 of each every day, weekend tend to forget to eat fruit :/.

During the summer we will usually have a strawberry, raspberry, blueberry medley as a pudding in the evening and every now and again will make a big fruit salad we eat over a couple of days.

Have you tried freezing blueberries? They're awesome in the summer

Soldato
Half a banana on my oats in the morning, an apple at some point during the day. Mostly have some satsumas in too, sometimes they come to work as well. Or kiwis. Sometimes we get blueberries in for the morning too.

Associate
Two good sized apples a day on work days, four on off days....so 18 pieces a week. If I'm lucky I'll also have a punnet of strawberries as a treat after the weekly shop and possibly a 6 pack of kiwis interspersed through the week too. I don't snack or eat biscuits or chocolate so fruit is my go to substitute.

Also eat loads of carrots but since they're not a fruit doesn't really apply here.

Permabanned
I eat as much my budget allows me too as it can be a little expensive. Generally a Banana, Kiwi, Apple and 2 Satsumas a day. I'll generally eat anything 'fruity' though.

Associate
For my lunch I usually take to work an apple, a tangerine and a banana. That's to go with my sandwiches, usually ham or turkey salad, and a chocolate bar. I prefer plain dark or milk chocolate, no caramel or other such filling.

Fruit juices might be missing some of the vitamins and minerals of whole fruit but it's a damn sight better than drinking cola. I've no problem at all that my kids won't touch fizzy drinks and prefer to guzzle fresh apple and orange juice.

Soldato
I consider myself a pretty healthy-eater (cook from scratch most/all nights) but not sure I would want to eat two apples, or two bananas a day. Seems a bit much to me :confused: dunno... A mix is great, but..

I've no problem at all that my kids won't touch fizzy drinks and prefer to guzzle fresh apple and orange juice.
I'd keep a check on it. They'll probably get a taste for the sugars and move onto the harder stuff :p (And "guzzling" fruit juice probably isn't a great idea). I have a tiny (3-4 mouthfuls!) of juice most mornings but beyond that all I drink is water, or tea or coffee. But I'm fortunate in that I don't have a sweet tooth at all. My sister on the other hand used to drink solely coke. No water, nothing. I don't know how people do that :(

Associate
I consider myself a pretty healthy-eater (cook from scratch most/all nights) but not sure I would want to eat two apples, or two bananas a day. Seems a bit much to me :confused: dunno... A mix is great, but..

I'd keep a check on it. They'll probably get a taste for the sugars and move onto the harder stuff :p (And "guzzling" fruit juice probably isn't a great idea). I have a tiny (3-4 mouthfuls!) of juice most mornings but beyond that all I drink is water, or tea or coffee. But I'm fortunate in that I don't have a sweet tooth at all. My sister on the other hand used to drink solely coke. No water, nothing. I don't know how people do that :(
Both my kids don't touch fizzy drinks at all. My eldest rarely drinks anything but water. The younger one has a taste for fresh apple juice.

We give them fresh juice in the morning, throughout the day though we prefer to give them very diluted cordial. They're both like me in that we only just put enough cordial in to get a bit of flavour. None of us likes it "syrupy".

Guzzling is probably the wrong term :D

Permabanned
Kiwis, pineapples, mandarin oranges, water melons, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, grapes, peaches and apricots... are what I prefer and consider amazing in taste.

Don't like so much apples or melons, or oranges and other more exotic fruit.

Kiwis and mandarin oranges I can eat a kilogram a day.

Back
Top Bottom