• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
Seems 980ti’s are still as strong as ever second hand. A Zotec Amp extreme went for £390 a couple of days ago.

However there are quite a few cards now landing on MM from miners..

Associate
Meh, can't afford to take the risk I buy a second hand lemon, plus I don't have access to MM, and dispise usage of the bay these days for tech. So OcUK retail for me: I'd rather have a warranty that can be utilised than find out 6 months down the line the second hand card is dead and no warranty will revive it.

Associate
Meh, can't afford to take the risk I buy a second hand lemon, plus I don't have access to MM, and dispise usage of the bay these days for tech. So OcUK retail for me: I'd rather have a warranty that can be utilised than find out 6 months down the line the second hand card is dead and no warranty will revive it.
This^^
I just paid £899 for a new Gigabyte 1080Ti Extreme, not going to say where but a very well known outlet (but not for PC stuff)
A used 1080Ti non extreme version went for £780 a few days ago on the bay, the second hand market on these cards are crazy. I was going to wait and see what the new Nvidia GPU's were looking like but looking at a lot of forums, I thought it's time to jump in so I did just that, and got the 4 year warranty!

I'm going to be sick if prices drop in the near future, or the new Nvidia GPU's offer much more for the same price but the GPU market is a lottery right now!

Last edited:
Soldato
RX 580 8Gb at £299.99 on OcUK Today Only until 9am Monday, £100-£200 cheaper than competitors. :)

I love how they post stuff like this, as if we should be grateful for being able to purchase 4yr old levels of performance for 'only' £300 instead of £500...:rolleyes:

Maybe as a company, they should reflect on their part in helping to kill off PC gaming as a viable option for so many, and the long term implications for their business.

Caporegime
I love how they post stuff like this, as if we should be grateful for being able to purchase 4yr old levels of performance for 'only' £300 instead of £500...:rolleyes:

Maybe as a company, they should reflect on their part in helping to kill off PC gaming as a viable option for so many, and the long term implications for their business.

Couldn't have said it better.

Soldato

£100 - £200 cheaper than anyone else isn't enough? Do you want them for free?

OcUK Staff

Were doing our part to try and help, the deal at £299, we made 5% profit per card, because yes prices have gone up no matter how much you want to believe or not, cost have increased considerably. The rest of the UK on said cards were around £450, so OcUK doing these at £299 is trying to help the gaming community.

Were not going to sell them at £200 and make a loss are we!

The fact is it is very clear this was recognised as a strong deal as over the weekend we sold just over 700 units, remember they were set to 1PC per customer, though those wanting more could go through the effort of re-ordering. Having such a large volume, at a market beating price resulted in one of our most successful weekend deals ever, because the savvy people out there knew that in today's climate £299 for a brand new 580 8Gb is a proper bargain, hence the sales. :)

Associate
Were doing our part to try and help, the deal at £299, we made 5% profit per card, because yes prices have gone up no matter how much you want to believe or not, cost have increased considerably. The rest of the UK on said cards were around £450, so OcUK doing these at £299 is trying to help the gaming community.

The fact is it is very clear this was recognised as a strong deal as over the weekend we sold just over 700 units, remember they were set to 1PC per customer, though those wanting more could go through the effort of re-ordering. Having such a large volume, at a market beating price resulted in one of our most successful weekend deals ever, because the savvy people out there knew that in today's climate £299 for a brand new 580 8Gb is a proper bargain, hence the sales. :)

I personally appreciate the transparency delivered in the post. :)

Soldato
it doesn't actually stand for anything technically. hodl has it's origins as a typo
I've heard that misconception a few times, it actually started out as a slang abbreviation for the phrase Hold Or Die Laughing which was commonly used on MtGox and BTC-e back in the day. It's actually kinda funny now because it took a while before people started abbreviating it, just like with "lol", and in both cases it seems weird to see the full thing now but we used it all the time back then.

*EDIT*

It's kinda mad to think MtGox and BTC-e, once the two biggest exchanges by a huge margin are gone, and that it's now 2018. Also cool to see how far "vanity mining" has come, to the point it's actually worth more than the energy it uses lol.

Soldato

Out of curiosity, is that 5% profit on wholesale price or 5% profit net of wholesale price + expenses/overheads?

If it’s the former, it’s pretty depressing stuff.

Associate
I find it absolutely astonishing that 1080P cards are still getting sold for £300+. The prices for these cards were already overpriced, they weren't great prices to begin with even before the memory/mining situation. If 4K on PC is to be popular with gamers, just as 1080p is now, then Nvidia/RTG need to release 4K cards at £300/400. And i mean proper 4K cards, not this half-arsed attempt at 4K, just as we see now with the 1080 Ti/Vega 64 series.

I can see me skipping another two (maybe three) generations of GPU releases, if that's the case, then so be it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom