Where is the X399 support from Gigabyte?

Associate
Have Gigabyte given up with supporting the X399 TR4 platform? There have only been 2 BIOS updates for their product line and one of them was for inclusion of raid.

Just seems that there are still issues with RAM compatibility, and quirky post issues haunting this board.

The Gigabyte US forums have no representation and it all just feels 'deserted'. Asrock for example had a release to update AGESA to 1.0.0.4....but nothing from Gigabyte.

I would have hoped they would have progressed to include more ram compatibility and address any bugs which there clearly are.....

@GIGA-Man - where are you?

Associate
Hello ketma,

Of course we have not dropped support on these boards, I will ask for an answer on the new AGESA code BIOS and request an update on the memory support too.

Associate
don't know if this will help. I know ASUS board have had more bios improvements for support on the AM4+ platform. Before this I had issue running RAM at rated speeds.

When loading the "standard " OC profile in bios which detects the rated ram speeds it only puts the correct values for the following settings ( tCL, tRCD, tRP, tRAS)

However to prevent boot failure i then needed to change the following value from the default "auto"

tRC > Auto > 56
tRRD_S > Auto > 6
tRDD_L >Auto > 8
tRFC >Auto > 560
tRFC2 >Auto > 416
tRFC4 >Auto > 256
tFAW >Auto > 37

Hopefully this will help someone else achieve rated RAM speeds. The above listed values i was able to pull from the RAM information section within the BIOS

the above timing will vary depending on ram. these ones are for the following kit 32GB Trident Z RGB 3200MHz (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR)

Associate
Ok new bios is it will fix bricking of motherboards and what we gonna do with our motherboards thats are 1to5 months old for example like mine ax370g5 debugging led codes and spining fans just.... and before 2 days have wtite to gigabyte suport at epasport of my board they tellme ti try clearing cmos etc.. already trying all knowing of google so at friday just write to dealer where bought it now am waiting they send me confirm ti send them board for rma or whatever they did there if even rthey send me confirmation lol
And something that i could just imagine but islike from when in to bios was added CEC2019 (California Energy Commission) motherboards starting randomly failures....

Got idea i could keep this board to add on for Christmas decoration for next year but will light just in red ...hmm why just red.... oh i forgot there is no bios to could enter and change leds to flash mode :D

Associate
Hello all,

I have talking with my HQ and there is a new BIOS being worked on for Agesa 1.0.0.5 and it will be published soon.

Any update on how much it’ll - approximately - take?

I understand that maybe because of meltdown and spectre the X399 platform isn’t probably on the high priority list, but we’re almost in April now, with the last bios version released the last October.

I’ve got problems with IOMMU groups with the “latest” f3somethin’ bios (and the previous one), and I think that with the new agesa it could be much better.

I’m new to the Gigabyte world, is this kind of delay a standard timeframe, or is it an exception?

Soldato
Go back to the initial F2 bios its rock solid stable until Gigabyte release the newer bios as F3g IME is very unstable.

Associate
Go back to the initial F2 bios its rock solid stable until Gigabyte release the newer bios as F3g IME is very unstable.

Didn’t experience stability issues atm using KVM as an hypervisor and Windows 10 VMs

My main problem is that the IOMMU groups are not well separated, even with an ACS override patch turned on. :/
The VGAs are ok, but other periferials (like the HD audio, or any USB controller), can’t be isolated in their own group. It’s kinda messy.

I know that the updated AGESA helped a lot of other threadripper users sorting this out, and almost any other competitor already issued an update on this.

I think that giving us an - approximate, no needs to be specific - ETA would be appropriate in this case.

I’ve also looked at the gigabyte forums, and there are no mentions of a new bios being worked on, any thread about it lacks any kind of response, this is the only one where hope was kinda given.

I’ve still got 20 days of free return time, so it won’t be the end for me if they really delayed/dropped the support on this platform, but it would be an hassle anyway to replace a newly installed motherboard :/ so, if GIGA-man says that a new bios is being worked on, I’m holding up until the last possible day, hoping that a new bios really gets released.

Associate
OP
Totally agree Kronos, with the Gigabyte forum having no official rep I had to ask the question here. Hopefully @GIGA-Man can be more specific to your question or if there is a beta to test.

Worth noting that the Asus forum does have representation and a beta BIOS with Agesa is 1.0.0.5 is now floating about for those users.

Associate
ANy updates coming?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hearing that a F3j (beta) is floating around. Please float it my way

Last edited:
Associate
Glad the F3J bios came out: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl-bios for the lazy

However, I gather these G/J bioses are beta. When will they be released formally?

I'm currently running F3G, as I use NVMe raid and a RAID6 array, however it was nearly impossible to get RAID working with bugs in the BIOS and a user guide that didn't match.

Would be nice to move to a properly tested and released BIOS (i.e. not Beta).

Associate
Just found something interesting regarding X399 v1.0.0.6 AGESA here: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-agesa-firmware-update-motherboard,34525.html

The new AEGSA code adds 26 new memory parameters that should improve memory compatibility and overclocking.

Recent firmware updates already exposed the ProcODT setting (a memory signal termination value), and we've found that altering this setting between 40-60Ω helps memory overclocking tremendously. The new AGESA update unlocks even more granular controls that should allow us to surpass the 3200 MT/s barrier without adjusting the BCLK frequency. As Wizerty demonstrated in our How To Overclock AMD Ryzen CPUs article, manipulating the BCLK frequency can provide unexpected results, such as rolling the motherboard back to PCIe 2.0. The new memory multipliers now allow up to DDR4-4000 without adjusting the BCLK frequency.

If you’re the kind of user that just needs (or loves!) virtualization every day, then AGESA 1.0.0.6-based firmware will be a blessing for you thanks to fresh support for PCI Express Access Control Services (ACS).

The important bit:

AMD expects validated BIOS based on the newest AGESA code to arrive in mid to late June, depending upon the qualification requirements of the respective vendors.

So it sounds like the future AGESA 1.0.0.6 update will be the one to snag when/IF it comes out in June, as it improves memory compatability.

Associate
Gifted the board to a friend shortly afterwards

Now, with F3J, the fan voltage regulation suddenly disappears from the smart fan menu. Every fan is considered PWM
In reality, some fans (attached to sysfan1) are DC controlled even if PWM appears on the screen, while other identifal DC fans (attached to pump 5) receive a pwm signal and so always run at 100%.

Rolled back to F3G for him, problem solved.

Also, it activates TPM and secure boot by default (using the tmp module inside the threadripper), and even with the secure boot disabled, it seems to not like legacy bootloaders.

The unraid usb seemed unbootable with F3J, efi and legacy bootloader.

With F3G, the legacy bootloader works again.

Maybe it was just a setting that I didn’t notice, I didn’t fiddle around too much because of the PWM bug.

Back
Top Bottom