1.2TSI Waterpumps

Soldato
I have a 2012 Skoda Rapid with the 1.2TSI in it. Covered 110k, whats the waterpump and belt interval on them?

Never been changed in my ownership and thinking it must be about due, if not overdue!

Associate
Do you know your engine code? I have a 2014 Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSi FR which has the CBZB engine code, also used in the Skoda's, Polo's and A1's - I'm assuming it's the same? Should be able to tell by the horsepower

If it is the same it'll have a chain :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah I know the engine itself is chain driven. But it was my understanding that the waterpump was driven by the accessory belt?

Soldato
The main concern with CBZB is the cam chain, early cars in particular, as the cam chains were made of plasticine and have been know to fail at quite low mileages 30K. As such they don't fail but stech to such an extent that they jump off the sprocket and it's new engine time. There are a couple of fixes associated with the engine one is simply an updated an improved chain, together with a modified cam chain cover that catches the chain before it jumps completely off the sprocket. Later cars have a beefed up chain and a lower sprocket upgrade. I have a Polo 1.2Tsi CBZB but it's only done 26K but it is something I'm thinking about getting done at some point.

You'll need to translate this link.
https://www.polovw.it/foro/viewtopic.php?t=28554

Soldato
Chain drives the oil pump and cam sprocket. The belt drives all other items including the water pump. I'm not sure about intervals, but my wife's car started weeping coolant from the pump when the bearings were wearing out. Its an inbuilt wear indicator.

If your car sounds like a tractor at any point, its probably the chain.

Soldato
OP
According to the service manual for our 1.2tsi Fabia it's 60k

Hmm, I’ve had this car since it had 8-9k on it and I’ve never had the belt or pump changed on it. I’ll have to get to make some enquiries.

My wife has been racking the miles up on her 1.2tsi Leon. Its not a rocket ship but shes happy and it gets over 45-50mpg, so far nothings gone wrong on it so im happy.

It’s done some miles now, driven sensibly 47-55mpg is easily attainable. But hey, where’s the fun in that...

I think the water pumps are pretty bad on these engines - My Ibiza has the CBZB engine and water pump cracked within a week of ownership :(

My experience of this engine has been very good. Oil leaks around the between the sump around 50k and a cracked PCV fitting last week are about the only extra engine related items I’ve done to it on top of servicing.

Associate
My experience of this engine has been very good. Oil leaks around the between the sump around 50k and a cracked PCV fitting last week are about the only extra engine related items I’ve done to it on top of servicing.

Everything else has been super on mine - Plans to get it remapped to add ~55 ft lbs torque & ~37 hp in a few months :)

Back
Top Bottom